Big brother wants your 5s biometrics

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by liberated, Sep 21, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Sen. Al Franken questions Tim Cook over iPhone 5s fingerprint security, you know what's next, NSA and third party. Well, that didn't take long...
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1379789490.423513.jpg

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

They got my finger prints when I applied for Alien registration

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Tim should tell Al to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Sent using iCafe app

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

LOL

I didn't even set it up cause I'm lifeproofed

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

5. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

I have nothing to hide. Who cares? Also, I voluntarily gave my fingerprints when I got my concealed weapons permit.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

franken: can the NSA get the fingerprint scans if they want?
    cook: no, of course not.
    snowden: yes they can, here's a document to prove it.
    cook: we are not at liberty to discuss it.
    NSA: ok, maybe we can, but it's not abused, we promise.
    snowden: yes it is.
    NSA: ok, it has been abused, but we're on top of it now, we promise.

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

So what if they have our fingerprints! What are they gonna do with it? If they wanted to track your moves or ruin your life, they have easier ways of doing it. I can't believe the paranoia.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I don't think I'd call it paranoia considering all the leaks in the last three months.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I wasn't really surprised that the government was spying on us. People call the conspiracy theorists crazy but I always had a feeling the government were fully capable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I think most people did. Now it's just confirmed.

11. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

A good friend of mine was arguing with me about the Touch ID after he read an article which went on to explain how fingerprint scanning is bad technology. He's afraid someone will steal his fingerprint and forever have the key to his identity. Unless your the president or someone who is specifically targeted as having important information on their phone, why would someone follow you around to lift your fingerprints in hopes of then stealing your phone and hacking into it.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

well your actual fingerprint isn't even stored anywhere (same with other biometric devices). They just use your fingerprint to generate a unique key (called a "template"), which is impossible to reverse-calculate back to your fingerprint, iris scan, or whatever.

13. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Exactly! Thank you!

Sent from something made by Apple!

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked and marked classified! I mentioned the NSA in the Keynote thread when Touch ID was announced and was warned for making political comments. :D:D:D

Seriously though, while I agree it's probably paranoid to worry about your phone collecting biometric data and sharing it with The Man, it's far from a stretch to imagine Apple handing over any all all data to the government. Remember when it was discovered Apple was secretly but "accidentally" tracking all our location data and they released an update to "fix" it? And now iOS 7 "features" an almost-so-hidden-it's-secret "frequently visited locations" option that is on by default. Kinda makes you reflect on the original Macintosh ad, doesn't it?

For those with nothing to hide, why aren't you asking the government to declassify all sorts of files? I know I've got a list. I've already given my fingerprints to the FBI so Touch ID doesn't bother me. To assume that Apple is being truthful that the fingerprint info your device collects is strictly local is borderline naive IMO. The same equally and oppositely applies to the paranoia of thinking every text, email, tweet, and facebook post is being monitored by government overlords. Maybe the contexts aren't quite in proportion, but for generalization sake...

Any byte of data on that device in your hand can potentially be transmitted OTA. Being a part of this brave new world requires letting go of a certain amount of privacy and accepting a certain amount of vulnerability. It's up to each one of us to describe our own comfort zone and adjust our behavior accordingly. Personally? I don't care if my every move is mapped out, every email and post scrutinized, every online purchase compared to a database of foreign terrorist bomb makers and homegrown anarchists. I'd just prefer it if they didn't lie to us about collecting that information. I trust Apple about as far as I could pitch a 50 pound canon ball and the other relevant entities even less.

Can y'all hurry up with my new iPhone please? :)

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Some people assume their every move online and in real life is being tracked just because it can be. Truth is most people are too boring to be monitored that closely.

16. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

The button is small so your full print is gonna be broken in to separate sections and have overlapping areas.

I have a simple solution. Don't even program it. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Are you saying you don't live the life of a secret double agent like I do? I think we have an opening if you're interested. :D

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, I didn't say I was one of those people. :p

Seriously though, if they monitored me it would go something like this: "I posed as a meter reader and put a bug on her phone. For four hours straight all she talked about was something called 5S and Breaking Bad. Moving on..."

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I do t have anything to hide and my prints are everywhere (work, background check, etc.), my only reservation about this is third party companies targeting me with ads, products, services, etc. I know that already happens but the prospect of "others" having access to my biometrics, just bothers me; irrational fear? Perhaps; but a fear nevertheless.

20. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

Actually, you have to scan your finger numerous times at different angles. So yeah, it is pretty much a full fingerprint.