Big brother wants your 5s biometrics

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked and marked classified! I mentioned the NSA in the Keynote thread when Touch ID was announced and was warned for making political comments. :D:D:D

Seriously though, while I agree it's probably paranoid to worry about your phone collecting biometric data and sharing it with The Man, it's far from a stretch to imagine Apple handing over any all all data to the government. Remember when it was discovered Apple was secretly but "accidentally" tracking all our location data and they released an update to "fix" it? And now iOS 7 "features" an almost-so-hidden-it's-secret "frequently visited locations" option that is on by default. Kinda makes you reflect on the original Macintosh ad, doesn't it?

For those with nothing to hide, why aren't you asking the government to declassify all sorts of files? I know I've got a list. I've already given my fingerprints to the FBI so Touch ID doesn't bother me. To assume that Apple is being truthful that the fingerprint info your device collects is strictly local is borderline naive IMO. The same equally and oppositely applies to the paranoia of thinking every text, email, tweet, and facebook post is being monitored by government overlords. Maybe the contexts aren't quite in proportion, but for generalization sake...

Any byte of data on that device in your hand can potentially be transmitted OTA. Being a part of this brave new world requires letting go of a certain amount of privacy and accepting a certain amount of vulnerability. It's up to each one of us to describe our own comfort zone and adjust our behavior accordingly. Personally? I don't care if my every move is mapped out, every email and post scrutinized, every online purchase compared to a database of foreign terrorist bomb makers and homegrown anarchists. I'd just prefer it if they didn't lie to us about collecting that information. I trust Apple about as far as I could pitch a 50 pound canon ball and the other relevant entities even less.

Can y'all hurry up with my new iPhone please? :)
Completely agree - I'm on the same wavelength as you. I encourage The Man to cross reference every text, email, post I write with a terrorist database. Why? Because I'm not a terrorist and that action only serves to protect me. It's the age old - if you aren't doing anything wrong, there's nothing to worry about.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
...I'm not a terrorist and that action only serves to protect me. It's the age old - if you aren't doing anything wrong, there's nothing to worry about.
We need to take responsibility for our own protection. We need protection from the government, not to be protected by them. We're on the verge of giving up an awful lot for very little. There is a fatal flaw in the "if you aren't doing anything wrong, there's nothing to worry about" line of thought, but that's a discussion for a different forum.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Completely agree - I'm on the same wavelength as you. I encourage The Man to cross reference every text, email, post I write with a terrorist database. Why? Because I'm not a terrorist and that action only serves to protect me. It's the age old - if you aren't doing anything wrong, there's nothing to worry about.
Until they take it too far and pat down little kids and babies at TSA (yes, this happens)...

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If you must give up liberties for security...you deserve neither and will lose both.

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
I'm using a life proof so I can't use the fingerprint scanner. I didn't even play with it to see before using my lifeproof

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
I've got a finger for Al Franken. The only thing more lame than his ability as a senator was his ability as a comedian. Man, NOthing could make that guy funny.

The government already has my finger prints on file as I am the holder of a valid firearms ID card. And really, isn't this hysteria about the NSA getting blown just a wee bit out of proportion? If they want any information on me I'd provide it voluntarily. As for worrying about what they collect on their own, that's really not a concern for me as I've assumed for decades that this kind of thing is happening. Meh.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
If you must give up liberties for security...you deserve neither and will lose both.
When there's people in this world so crazy that they hijack planes and fly them into buildings, leave bombs in marathon bleachers, shoot up a school filled with children or a movie theatre full of innocent people, liberties must be given up. It's not something I want, but it's warranted and unfortunately needs to happen. All NFL stadiums now require clear bags. It's a shame the world has come to that, but there's just too many crazies out there.

Reactions: SunnySweet

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
When there's people in this world so crazy that they hijack planes and fly them into buildings, leave bombs in marathon bleachers, shoot up a school filled with children or a movie theatre full of innocent people, liberties must be given up. It's not something I want, but it's warranted and unfortunately needs to happen. All NFL stadiums now require clear bags. It's a shame the world has come to that, but there's just too many crazies out there.
I don't want to start an argument, that is a paraphrased quote from Benjamin Franklin, I do agree with it though. Private organizations can implement whatever rules they want, when the government takes your freedoms/liberties they will never give them back and will want more and more "for your protection".

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Let's stop the politics, I know I started this thread but going by the fact that the government can do anything with or without your data, let's discuss whether private companies have any businesss tracking you and harassing you with products and services presumably based on the unique identifier which is your biometric data. At least now one can claim that the person ordering products was your buddy you loaned your phone too, with the 5s, there is no doubt it was you visiting those questionable sites :D

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've kept a very close eye on this thread and will lock it down if it turns into a political discussion. It has veered pretty close, but I don't think it has crossed the line yet. Besides, using the term "big brother" lends itself to touching on political discussion.Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: liberated

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I've kept a very close eye on this thread and will lock it down if it turns into a political discussion. It has veered pretty close, but I don't think it has crossed the line yet. Besides, using the term "big brother" lends itself to touching on political discussion.Thanks.
I was just trying to stay safe as if the thread goes wild, I'm to blame as the OP.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
let's discuss whether private companies have any businesss tracking you and harassing you with products and services presumably based on the unique identifier which is your biometric data. At least now one can claim that the person ordering products was your buddy you loaned your phone too, with the 5s, there is no doubt it was you visiting those questionable sites :D

But what can a private company do with your biometric data? I don't see what they can use biometricly to target me for in adds, what do my fingerprints tell them?

Reactions: Kadelic

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
what do my fingerprints tell them?
Don't know but this is new and I'm sure there's a reason Apple went beyond what was nessesary to explain that the data stays local. Usually when companies make claims, they truly mean the opposite of what they claim.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well it's a good thing all those things were prevented by our various agencies with their new surveillance superpowers.

Oh wait...

Reactions: Kadelic

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
I went to Bank America yesterday to cash a check someone gave me, they had a fingerprint scanner at the teller's window and I had to scan my fingerprint to cash the check.

~S

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
Sen. Al Franken questions Tim Cook over iPhone 5s fingerprint security, you know what's next, NSA and third party. Well, that didn't take long...
View attachment 30967
How do those questions put the Senator on a particular side or any side of the issue of privacy?
I think most posters are picking a side for him. What are his actual views?

Sent using iCafe app