Big! Huge! Enormous announcement!

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26164307/

Best Buy begins selling the iPhone September 7th!

Oh glory, gone are the days I have to turn people away because I couldn't sell them the iPhone, as now I can!

And all Best Buy stores have completed their conversion to Best Buy Mobile for their wireless departments, which is where I work. We offer a great service plan on our cell phones that actually does cover accidental damage and handling, as well as the standard heat/dust/humidity/power surge. I will have to found out if we'll be able to offer it for the iPhone. This could be very very cool.

I'm ecstatic, to say the least. :laugh2:

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
could I buy insurance without buying the iPhone at BestBuy? That's the question...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Can you imagine now. Walking into a Best Buy store and asking for the iPhone and nothing else:

Customer: Can I have an iPhone please?
Store Rep: May I suggest you also purchase the extended warranty?
Customer: No thank you, just the phone please.
Store Rep: But sir, the warranty will cover your phone for almost any kind of damage or fault.
Customer: No thank you, just the phone please!
Store Rep: But sir, the warranty will cover your phone all over the world. If you drop it, it will still be covered. Our vastly trained Geeks will fix it.
Store Rep: But sir, but sir, but sir.. for the love of god, please buy the warranty, I need to fulfill my monthly quota of ripping people off by selling them the useless extended warranty!
Store Rep: By the way, when you need to make a warranty claim, Best Buy will deny I said anything about what it covers today, and we will not fix a thing.

I can see it now....

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
Can you imagine now. Walking into a Best Buy store and asking for the iPhone and nothing else:

Store Rep: But sir, the warranty will cover your phone for almost any kind of damage or fault.
Store Rep: But sir, the warranty will cover your phone all over the world. If you drop it, it will still be covered. Our vastly trained Geeks will fix it.
Store Rep: But sir, but sir, but sir.. for the love of god, please buy the warranty, I need to fulfill my monthly quota of ripping people off by selling them the useless extended warranty!
Store Rep: By the way, when you need to make a warranty claim, Best Buy will deny I said anything about what it covers today, and we will not fix a thing.

I can see it now....
LOL, the funny part is......that really does happen!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Best Buy is supposed to be selling Samsung Instincts but I have never seen it at the Best Buys here. Maybe AT&T figures it can hand off problems to yet another conglomerate.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I know Best Buy sell phones on their online store, that they do not sell in store. Have you checked there?

Least online, you won't have a sales person annoying you to buy a warranty ;)

Best Buy is supposed to be selling Samsung Instincts but I have never seen it at the Best Buys here. Maybe AT&T figures it can hand off problems to yet another conglomerate.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

i played with a Samsung instinct at my local best buy last weekend. i wasn't impressed, the screen is plastic, felt cheap, interface was ugly, etc...

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City

I can see it now....

I worked at bestbuy in the past....lol, this is exactly what happens.

rl360

Aug 9, 2008
will they sell them with the 2 year contract?

btw, isn't it sept. 7th? not 9th?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
This was already posted yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
bestbuy insurance blows. how about this? my portable dvd player (back when they were $300/pop, 80 for insurance) broke. took it to bestbuy, they o we don't have it in stock, we can give you this one (a $210 model? no thanks) they tell me they'll order a new one.
two days later, it starts working again. never told bestbuy this, as i figured out why it wasn't working and would tell them i fixed it when they called me back to tell me my new one is in stock. guess what? they never called me back. ever.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Mods,
Can someone please merge these Best Buy threads? It's already out of hand. I could have sworn I read this before the first post time on this thread but I can't seem to find an earlier one now. I do know I wasn't awake at the time this one was first started and I know I read this information yesterday here at EiC. There's definitely 3 now and possibly another one from earlier last evening.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Alright, yeah, it is the 7th, for some reason I was thinking it said the 9th yesterday and today.

Anyway, two things to clear up. First, Best Buy does not sell warranties or insurances, it sells service plans. Second, Best Buy Mobile is now a separate entity specifically from regular Best Buy. The main difference for this, is our service plan is different from most of the rest in the store, and what used to be offered with cell phones. Part of this means that Best Buy Mobile deals with everything cell phone related, even the service plans on those phones.

The main difference now is that Best Buy Mobile's service plan will actually cover normal usage damage. This means that if you drop the iPhone and the screen breaks or something else breaks Best Buy Mobile will cover it. It will also cover light water damage; this doesn't mean jumping in the pool with your iPhone will be covered, but say you spill something on it, or it gets rain in it, Best Buy Mobile will cover it. These are two examples that I KNOW people have had issues with on these boards. Also, all the technical glitches and issues that have been running rampant with the new 3g will be covered.

rl360

Aug 9, 2008
so they're selling the iPhones with the 2 year contracts?

ta2smitty

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
LOL, the funny part is......that really does happen!
same goes for toys r us warranties. my wife bought them for our boys psp's and ds's? One was dropped I called them up and they laughed at me over the phone.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
isn't this was the Apple warranty does as well. One of my co workers broke his screen once and they replaced it, no Q's asked!

Best Buy, as with all big box retailers, inflates prices so much. Not to go OT, but a 10-22mm is $65X at B&H and at Best Buy it is $899. i wonder if they will do that with the iPhone

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Best Buy is great, at least for me. Sometimes their prices are actually lower then online. For example, I bought 2 RaptorX 150G from Best Buy for $150 each. Granted it was on sale but point is sometimes it pays to visit the website or store itself. Yes they overprice some of their stuff, but since it's close by anything goes wrong you can take it back, and not have to rma it by shipping, thereforee saving some money.

As for the warranty, it's a hit or miss, sometimes I end wasting money on their warranties, sometimes it's a life saver. My Sansa mp3 player broke after 3 months and I took it to BB, and the tech said it was un-repairable, so they gave me a new one. I also had a Vacum break down on me, and again BB gave me a new on.

I really wish BB had the iPhone when it was released, I would of bought it there and get the warranty since neither AT&T nor Apple will give you the option to buy one. The iPhone 3G is supposed to be $199/299 just like at Apple or AT&T.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Best Buy is great, at least for me. Sometimes their prices are actually lower then online. For example, I bought 2 RaptorX 150G from Best Buy for $150 each. Granted it was on sale but point is sometimes it pays to visit the website or store itself. Yes they overprice some of their stuff, but since it's close by anything goes wrong you can take it back, and not have to rma it by shipping, thereforee saving some money.

As for the warranty, it's a hit or miss, sometimes I end wasting money on their warranties, sometimes it's a life saver. My Sansa mp3 player broke after 3 months and I took it to BB, and the tech said it was un-repairable, so they gave me a new one. I also had a Vacum break down on me, and again BB gave me a new on.

I really wish BB had the iPhone when it was released, I would of bought it there and get the warranty since neither AT&T nor Apple will give you the option to buy one. The iPhone 3G is supposed to be $199/299 just like at Apple or AT&T.
Aye, that's the big perk about BB having it: you can actually get some extended coverage over the standard Apple warranty. A lot of the issues some of you other folks have been talking about stem from the fact that those devices don't come with accidental damage and handling in their service plans. Which means that if you do something specifically contrary to what the device was meant to do and it breaks, it's not covered because those plans only cover normal wear and tear with the device being used normally. However, the iPhone plan will cover that accidental damage, so when it does drop, or if something is dropped on it, or if its sat upon and thus something breaks on the iPhone, you actually can get it replace without actually having to go out and buy an entirely new iPhone.

Oh, and yes, Best Buy Mobile will be selling it in exactly the same fashion as if you got it from an AT&T store. Same price and still needing a 2-year new agreement or 2-year upgrade.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You may want to check your CC rules. Most CC companies cover everything that the Best Buy warranty covers. And get this.. FOR FREE! Most double the initial manufacturers warranty.

Just an example.

Hell would I hand my iPhone over to a Geek Squad member and expect him to know anything about it. Idiots didn't even know what WPA2 wireless encryption was, when I asked them. My friend blew up a HP desktop within a day of getting it and returned it to Best Buy. The Geeks checked it and said it was fine and refunded his cash. They failed to notice all the burn marks inside the case.