big iPhone problem

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'll try to make this as short and descriptive as possible. to make a long story short, had an AMAZING weekend in vegas for my little sisters 21st birthday along with friends. two nights ago (her birthday) she was drunk and knocked my iPhone out of my hands, but we were standing on really plush grass in front of Caesars Palace. at first i picked it up, looked at it, looked fine, and clicked a things and the "oh crap" feeling quickly left me, all seemed fine. we went out and drank and woke up the next morning and the top half of my screen is essentially dead.

from looking at the phone, there is nothing wrong with it, and even the vWallpaper on the phone works fine, the problem is i cannot click on any of the icons in the first 2 rows (the top rows). when i open an app, the same thing applies, the top half of my screen is dead. so right now i have a couple options:

1) chalk it up as a loss and buy a 3g iPhone
2) restore to factory settings and see if that helps
3) keep trying to get it to work somehow

basically my dilemma is this, i took TONS of pictures and videos (using iPhonevideorecorder) while in vegas. i cannot get the pictures or videos off because the phone won't even sync now with my computer and i cannot turn ssh on because my services app is on the upper half of my phone and thereforee in the "dead region". does anyone know how i can get access to the videos? i am trying to log in with ssh but it is not letting me (i don't know the exact IP address but am guessing based on a couple that it frequently is). i really want to get these videos off here so i would be willing to even paypal someone some money if they can help me figure this out.

also, if i do a restore, would this sort of thing be covered under warranty? i mean there is nothing physically wrong with the phone, just the top half of the screen doesn't respond to touching. would i have to restore my bootloader as well using pwned? any help is greatly appreciated.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
and i cannot turn ssh on because my services app is on the upper half of my phone and thereforee in the "dead region".
Maybe this won't work, but can't you move the bottom icons up until the services app squeezes down to the working half of your screen? What I mean is, pressing and holding an icon until it wiggles so you can rearrange them. That might not work, but just a thought in case you haven't tried it.

Sucks about your phone...best of luck.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Maybe this won't work, but can't you move the bottom icons up until the services app squeezes down to the working half of your screen? What I mean is, pressing and holding an icon until it wiggles so you can rearrange them. That might not work, but just a thought in case you haven't tried it.

Sucks about your phone...best of luck.
yah i thought about that too but i can't even drag the icons into the "dead zone" i've tried that a bunch of times as well.

does anyone know if i do a restore will the videos still be on my hard disk in a folder? i was able to sync and get the pictures off, now i just need to get the videos off and i can do a restore and see if that helps or take it in and see if its covered under warranty.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Aw man, that sucks. Apple will take it back and give you a new one if there isn't any obvious damage, but yeah... I've seen this happen (both on the forums here and personally, to a friend's)

Regarding the SSH connection, I assume you've tried 192.168.1.x (all values of x) and also 192.168.1.1xx (all values of xx)... if nothing's working, you probably had SSH off last? Ack...

I assume you can't open video recorder and get those emails off to yourself, can you?

Unless someone knows of another application to browse your phone from your desktop that doesn't require SSH (I don't know of any), I think you may have lost some vids. Sorry, man... at least you got the pictures off, right?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Aw man, that sucks. Apple will take it back and give you a new one if there isn't any obvious damage, but yeah... I've seen this happen (both on the forums here and personally, to a friend's)

Regarding the SSH connection, I assume you've tried 192.168.1.x (all values of x) and also 192.168.1.1xx (all values of xx)... if nothing's working, you probably had SSH off last? Ack...

I assume you can't open video recorder and get those emails off to yourself, can you?

Unless someone knows of another application to browse your phone from your desktop that doesn't require SSH (I don't know of any), I think you may have lost some vids. Sorry, man... at least you got the pictures off, right?
yah i have tried all the 192.168.1.x values and it doesn't work. i know for a fact that ssh was turned off because i turned it off right before the trip as i didn't want it to drain my battery excessively since i wouldn't be using it (real convenient i know haha). the iPhonevideorecorder icon is in the upper "dead zone" of the screen so i can't open it at all. i was gonna try uninstalling it and reinstalling it but the "Uninstall" button in installer is in the "dead zone" as well.

i seem to remember before from a restore that my iPhonevideorecorder files were preserved in a folder but i cannot be sure. do you guys think that a restore would possibly help this situation? i doubt it, but it is looking like my only option. i had some GREAT videos too dammit!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i seem to remember before from a restore that my iPhonevideorecorder files were preserved in a folder but i cannot be sure. do you guys think that a restore would possibly help this situation? i doubt it, but it is looking like my only option. i had some GREAT videos too dammit!
You know, I think you're right, your iPhone videos should be preserved through a restore. The problem is, I don't think you're going to be able to restore your way out of this one... you need a new phone :(

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
You know, I think you're right, your iPhone videos should be preserved through a restore. The problem is, I don't think you're going to be able to restore your way out of this one... you need a new phone :(
haha yah that is what i am thinking as well, i posted a question in the iPhone modifications section so we'll see if any of those hackers can come up with something. i got some awesome videos that i don't want to lose.