BIG Question on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zero9

Mar 29, 2007
Ok I love the touch screen of the iPhone and the Hi-Res screen, but what about fingerprints on the screen? I mean there is no way to eliminate it, and I wiping your screen every time you want to watch your video. I can't deal with dirty screens, just like finger prints on my monitor or tv or mp3 player. Do they have anything to do away with finger prints and streaks on the screen other than wearing white gloves?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Its made of this like uber unscratchable/smearable stuff thats in High end watches. I believe they are called redo? Wot will probably be in here to correct me and to link you to a site :)

Zero9

Mar 29, 2007
I thought that about the smearing, until i watched the keynote. He smears all over it and i cringed in fear. I can't stand smudges on video screens I spend more time cleaning my screens and watch them, i guess im a little obessive compulsive, my coworkers pointed that out since im always cleaning my screens and you never really think about that, but if you watch the keynote when steve shows you how to browse through lists of musics in iTunes on the iPhone you can see that ugly smear from the first flick

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I noticed the same thing during the keynote. Let's hope that all of the lights exagerated the smear and it really wasn't noticeable in person. Unfortunately, we won't know for sure until more people get their hands one.

Here is a thread that talks about the screen that you may want to check out ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
The name of the watch is Rado, and it is just one of many high-end watches that use the scratch resistant material. But, as mentioned, it does smear badly so I'm sure were all going to be wiping our phones on our T-shirts to keep them clean. ;)

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
I think it will smear, but Jobs was probably under 10000 watts of lights and was sweating a bit, not to mention the lights probably exaggerated the smear a bit too. I doubt it would look that bad in person. It's probably like touching the new glossy macbook displays... they smear but not much. When the screen is on, you can't see the smear. When the screen goes black, it's visible.

robbys

Feb 25, 2007
I thought that about the smearing, until i watched the keynote. He smears all over it and i cringed in fear. I can't stand smudges on video screens I spend more time cleaning my screens and watch them, i guess im a little obessive compulsive, my coworkers pointed that out since im always cleaning my screens and you never really think about that, but if you watch the keynote when steve shows you how to browse through lists of musics in iTunes on the iPhone you can see that ugly smear from the first flick
You aren't alone Zero! I too am extremely OCD when it comes to my screens. For some reason it drives me absolutely insane to stare at a smudge for the length of a tv program or movie. I probably clean my phone/iPod screen more than twice daily. It sounds like the Apple did take that into consideration when they developed the iPhone. Hopefully they've got our backs because with a touchscreen, the possibility of smudges increases exponentially.... and you can't wear gloves while using it, so I'll just have to put my qwerks aside to enjoy it (Which I don't see being a problem, because the iPhone is SO amazing!)

remix2112

Apr 9, 2007
Atlanta
The name of the watch is Rado, and it is just one of many high-end watches that use the scratch resistant material. But, as mentioned, it does smear badly so I'm sure were all going to be wiping our phones on our T-shirts to keep them clean. ;)
I have an Omega diving watch (like 007!) and it has the sapphire crystal - I just got it in january, and every time I accidentally hit something with it I cringe - but when I take a look at it, there's never been a single mark - I am still amazed! If the iPhone has a synthetic version of this material, I think we will all be very pleased.