big upset in my eyes.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tworek

Apr 12, 2007
I heard about the iPhone a while ago and just started looking into it.

I noticed that its only available in 4g or 8g?

I currently have a 30g iPod video and its stuffed full 100%

Whats the reasoning for this huge downgrade? When i first heard about it, the first thing that popped into my head was, Wonderful, a worthwhile upgrade for my iPod and cellphone all wrapped in on tidy package. but with this tiny memory it has ill have to carry around my old iPod anyway to bring my music with me.

Any word that this info is just for the initial release or will there be a larger capacity iPhone available?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I heard about the iPhone a while ago and just started looking into it.

I noticed that its only available in 4g or 8g?

I currently have a 30g iPod video and its stuffed full 100%

Whats the reasoning for this huge downgrade? When i first heard about it, the first thing that popped into my head was, Wonderful, a worthwhile upgrade for my iPod and cellphone all wrapped in on tidy package. but with this tiny memory it has ill have to carry around my old iPod anyway to bring my music with me.

Any word that this info is just for the initial release or will there be a larger capacity iPhone available?
NO WAY! ONLY 4GB and 8GB?
Get off these forums or stop posting stupid questions like these. This has been discussed a lot of times already.

You ever think thats its not a replacement for the iPod? Its a phone. Do you see a lot of 30GB phones?

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
hey don't be to hard on the guy. the whole idea behind this site is to get a lot of people on here to talk. Instead we should tell him to just read the past posts on this topic. Well as for the low storage capacity. It is this way for one reason. POWER! and the fact that ther is really no flash memory device that I know of over 12g. They didn't want to put an actual hard drive in brcause it would drain the battery to quickly. You will start to see devices with more flash memory but it will not jump as fast as it did with spinning drives.

Edward

Mar 17, 2007
Dallas, TX
Now now guys, be nice.

Considering the size of the iPhone, I think it has a very decent amount of space. You have to take into account that it has a good number of chips in there. It has a Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) chip, an EDGE chip, a Bluetooth 2.0 chip, a camera, about 3 sensors (accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor) that pressumably use other chips, and a couple of others I may not know of. So seeing that you still have room for music and movies in the given size of the device is pretty nice.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
NO WAY! ONLY 4GB and 8GB?
Get off these forums or stop posting stupid questions like these. This has been discussed a lot of times already.

You ever think thats its not a replacement for the iPod? Its a phone. Do you see a lot of 30GB phones?
SAY HELLO TO HIS LITTLE FRIEND!

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
not so crazy 32 gig flash drive

http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3652171

600 dollars for the 32gig chip... but not so far off in the future.... So you may get your 30gig iPhone sometime sooner or later....

I can see the original posters point... this device is so juicy because of the possibility of having one and only one device to do everything.... but most people will have to keep their original ipods. (or at least I will) I still think Apple should consider a media card slot and a removable battery...

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
There is a stop-gap measure for this issue built right into iTunes. It's called Playlists. Just go into iTunes and create some fun playlists. At 8gigs that's some 2000+ songs, isn't it? That's far more listening than you could do in a day. Hell, create 7 playlists, one for each day of the week. Then each day just tick the box in iTunes for the day's playlist, update your iPhone... voila!

It means your ENTIRE music collection is not in your pocket at all times. But that seems like a small price to pay for battery life (talk time) on your phone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There is a stop-gap measure for this issue built right into iTunes. It's called Playlists. Just go into iTunes and create some fun playlists. At 8gigs that's some 2000+ songs, isn't it? That's far more listening than you could do in a day. Hell, create 7 playlists, one for each day of the week. Then each day just tick the box in iTunes for the day's playlist, update your iPhone... voila!

It means your ENTIRE music collection is not in your pocket at all times. But that seems like a small price to pay for battery life (talk time) on your phone.
I too get caught up in having a bigger iPod. In reality, the 8GB is probably more practical than the 30GB. I use my Shuffle daily and use a playlist to manage my music (as recommended above). Works great and I suspect that will be my tactic with the iPhone. I rarely scratch the surface of listening to all the music on my 30GB.

Playlists offer a plethora of customization options (live updating), but I haven't set any like that up just yet.

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
One more note.... as video becomes more predominant, then I would say it makes sense to increase the size of the hard drive on the iPhone.

Still, 8GB doubles the amount of most removable media supported on other phones.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I too get caught up in having a bigger iPod. In reality, the 8GB is probably more practical than the 30GB. I use my Shuffle daily and use a playlist to manage my music (as recommended above). Works great and I suspect that will be my tactic with the iPhone. I rarely scratch the surface of listening to all the music on my 30GB.

Playlists offer a plethora of customization options (live updating), but I haven't set any like that up just yet.

-Chris
When the second generation Nano was released, I sold my 40GB iPod and bought an 8GB Nano. I was worried that I would regret not having my full music collection (35GB) with me at all times. With the 40GB iPod I enjoyed being able to think of a song/album I wanted to hear and knowing I had it with me.

Now that I have used my Nano for several months now, I can comfortably say that I made a good decision. With the 8GB Nano, I am able to have over 100 albums and a few audio books loaded. I find it caused me to listen to a greater selection of my collection. Since I now have to decide which albums to load, I often find albums I have forgotten about while looking through iTunes to pick out that weeks music.

I also have started using smart playlists. They are extremely cool when your iPod is not large enough to hold your entire collection. With them, it is very easy to automate the process of changing out what is on your iPod. For instance, you can set up a playlist that has 1GB of Jazz albums that you haven't listened to in the last month. Every time you sync, the albums that you have listened to on that playlist get replaced by ones you haven't.

jswan

Mar 20, 2007
Now[FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] having[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] lot[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] trouble[/FONT][FONT=&quot] deciding[/FONT][FONT=&quot] what[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] do.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Not[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] wasn't[/FONT][FONT=&quot] before,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] course.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] But[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] general[/FONT][FONT=&quot] plan[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] wait[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] while[/FONT][FONT=&quot] until[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] iPhone[/FONT][FONT=&quot] had[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 16[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 20[/FONT][FONT=&quot]gb,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] so[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] could[/FONT][FONT=&quot] put[/FONT][FONT=&quot] more[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] music[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Now[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] considering[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] getting[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 8gb[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] shuffling[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] albums[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] off[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] But[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you[/FONT][FONT=&quot] guys[/FONT][FONT=&quot] talking[/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot] how[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 8gb[/FONT][FONT=&quot] nano[/FONT][FONT=&quot] works[/FONT][FONT=&quot] great,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you[/FONT][FONT=&quot] worried[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at[/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] It[/FONT][FONT=&quot] seems[/FONT][FONT=&quot] like[/FONT][FONT=&quot] any[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos[/FONT][FONT=&quot] will[/FONT][FONT=&quot] immediately[/FONT][FONT=&quot] take[/FONT][FONT=&quot] up[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] big[/FONT][FONT=&quot] portion[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] available[/FONT][FONT=&quot] space.

On[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] other[/FONT][FONT=&quot] hand,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] suppose[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] something[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be[/FONT][FONT=&quot] easy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sync[/FONT][FONT=&quot] when[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] knew[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] need[/FONT][FONT=&quot] them[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](before[/FONT][FONT=&quot] flying,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] etc).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] little[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] sad[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] not[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] getting[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] have[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] music[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] with[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] me[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] time[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] anymore.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Now[FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] having[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] lot[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] trouble[/FONT][FONT=&quot] deciding[/FONT][FONT=&quot] what[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] do.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Not[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] wasn't[/FONT][FONT=&quot] before,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] course.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] But[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] general[/FONT][FONT=&quot] plan[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] wait[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] while[/FONT][FONT=&quot] until[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] iPhone[/FONT][FONT=&quot] had[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 16[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 20[/FONT][FONT=&quot]gb,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] so[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] could[/FONT][FONT=&quot] put[/FONT][FONT=&quot] more[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] music[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Now[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] considering[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] getting[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 8gb[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] shuffling[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] albums[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] off[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] But[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you[/FONT][FONT=&quot] guys[/FONT][FONT=&quot] talking[/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot] how[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 8gb[/FONT][FONT=&quot] nano[/FONT][FONT=&quot] works[/FONT][FONT=&quot] great,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you[/FONT][FONT=&quot] worried[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at[/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] It[/FONT][FONT=&quot] seems[/FONT][FONT=&quot] like[/FONT][FONT=&quot] any[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos[/FONT][FONT=&quot] will[/FONT][FONT=&quot] immediately[/FONT][FONT=&quot] take[/FONT][FONT=&quot] up[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] big[/FONT][FONT=&quot] portion[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] available[/FONT][FONT=&quot] space.

On[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] other[/FONT][FONT=&quot] hand,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] suppose[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] something[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be[/FONT][FONT=&quot] easy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sync[/FONT][FONT=&quot] when[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] knew[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] need[/FONT][FONT=&quot] them[/FONT][FONT=&quot](before[/FONT][FONT=&quot] flying,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] etc).[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] little[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sad[/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot] not[/FONT][FONT=&quot] getting[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] have[/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot] music[/FONT][FONT=&quot] with[/FONT][FONT=&quot] me[/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time[/FONT][FONT=&quot] anymore.[/FONT]
Unless you listein to all of your 8GB of music, everyday, I cant see why it would be a problem only to have that much storage. I have a 30GB and probably only listein to maybe 10-30 songs different songs on it a day, along with podcasts.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Unless you listein to all of your 8GB of music, everyday, I cant see why it would be a problem only to have that much storage. I have a 30GB and probably only listein to maybe 10-30 songs different songs on it a day, along with podcasts.
Good point, and the reason why the Shuffle has been so successful. Personally, I have trouble narrowing down my collection (who knows if I'll want to listen to this tune?). As Chris notes, once I put a movie or 2 on there, I'll have even more trouble.

-K

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com

On[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] other[/FONT][FONT=&quot] hand,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] suppose[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] videos[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] something[/FONT][FONT=&quot] it'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be[/FONT][FONT=&quot] easy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sync[/FONT][FONT=&quot] when[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] knew[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] need[/FONT][FONT=&quot] them[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](before[/FONT][FONT=&quot] flying,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] etc).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] I'm[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] just[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] little[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] sad[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] about[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] not[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] getting[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] to[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] have[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] my[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] music[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] with[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] me[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] all[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] the[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] time[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] anymore.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I guess it depends on how often you will be able to sync. On my nano I currently have about 144 hours of music and 30 hours of audio books. Even if I dedicate half the space to video, there is still over 70 hours of music and 15 hours of audio books. I would think if you can sync a couple of times a week, you should be fine with 8GB.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I just think it's going to force people to be a little bit more interactive between their iPhone and their computer. I don't know about everyone else but I'm rarely away from my computer for more than 1/2 a day.

Also, I don't think I'm going to be watching a ton of video on my iPhone. Sometimes maybe, but mostly I'll be watching video on a bigger screen. Usually my computer and sometimes via AppleTV on the big flat screen.