Biggest disappointment about the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Rafagon, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Feel free to stone me for this thread topic that aims to focus on negativity instead of the opposite, regarding one of the most beautiful inventions of our time, on a day like today, but... Here goes nothing...

Considering only the aspects of the iPhone 5 that were made available today, what disappointed you the most about the announcement?

I think for me it's the fact that the camera's specs appear identical--on paper at least. Absolutely everything looks identical. The megapixel count. The aperture. The five-element lens. The IR filter. The backside illumination. (I'm of course hoping that the A6 is going to, ahem, chip in and make pictures shine.) Do I know which aperture F-number is best for which situation? No, I do not. Do I know that if everything else remains the same but the megapixel count is increased, better pictures are possible? Yes, I do.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the camera is one of the more often-used components of a smartphone. The camera is what makes reporters out of us smartphone owners. It gives us the ability to document potentially important events. If something huge is going on, who is the first on the scene... the first to take pictures... the first to share these pictures? Definitely not the members of the press. Having a device capable of taking photographs in your pocket is something that is easy to take for granted.

I did a quick Google search and discovered that there is such a thing as a 41-megapixel cell phone. I was completely unaware of this until today. Would I buy it? Definitely not. It's not an iphone--plain and simple. I just figure that it can't possibly hurt Apple's sales if they were to boast a 10-megapixel camera.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

It doesn't tell me if any of my family are birds.

3. Jeffmedic

Jeffmedic Member
    Bronze

Looks. Specs are great. The looks have been (pretty much) the same for years.

It no longer has that wow factor that the 4 had

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

I can't say it's a big disappointment for me cause i stop using the iPhone right before the 3GS came out. If i was an iPhone user for years then I would be upset about size and design of the phone. At some point Apple has to completely redesign the device (basic square shape) . Other then that the phone is pretty nice. I will be getting one for the wifey. Im patiently waiting to retire my One X for the next Nexus!

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

That Apple doesn't know what i want and need before I do. Felt it was like that for a while didn't it? but I'm too much of an Apple fanboy sheep goat raccoon whatever to let this one slide me by. So I'll upgrade anyway.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I can't find anything negative with the hardware. Better camera, LTE, slightly larger screen, thinner, lighter, aluminum which dissipates heat very well, A6 SoC, improved WiFi, improved speaker(s), improved noise cancellation with 3 mics, improved battery life. etc.

Software: we already knew what we were getting with iOS 6 so no disappointment there. Besides, it can always be improved with updates.

7. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

To be honest I'm completely in love with the new iPhone 5. It looks brilliant, has a great size, and the hardware specifications, whether similar to the 4S' or not, are still awesome and up-to-date with today's needs. So the iPhone 5 is definitely a must-buy for me!

8. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I'm very pleased with this new iPhone 5. I love the overall design, enhancements to the camera, A6 chip, LTE, the thinness, panaroma feature, larger screen, and more. I won't be buying it however as I will not qualify for the subsidized price until late Spring. By that time everyone will have their sites on the new iPhone6. I will probably wait until then as much as I would love to have this iPhone 5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

It looks too much like my 4s. After a 4 and a 4s, I'm kind of ready for a real change. Aluminum backplates have been available as replacements for a while, so that's no stretch.

10. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

so is the A6 QUAD-CORE?

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

To me the biggest disappointment is that the media took all the fan to see something new. I wish everything we saw today were a surprise and didn't hear all these other things that was supposed to be, other than that it looks and it sounds great that I can wait to have my hands on it!

12. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

For me, I was looking for something way out of the box. Square and rectangle phones are so 2008... I want a circle phone or maybe even a triangle phone. You know, something that fits perfectly to your ear, mouth, and maybe wraps around your head. Ok I am just kidding. What do you people really expect? Phones are rectangular for a reason... They would look very stupid if they weren't.

I was happy with the iPhone 5. It has a new look that I love, the specs are awesome and I am super ready to trade in the iPhone 4. I sold it today and I am using a 3G until the new one gets here. It's crazy how far the phone has come. I have had every iPhone except the 4s, as I didn't see the need to upgrade for that one. Friday cannot come soon enough!

13. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

They make them. They are called Simon says and were very popular in the 80's

14. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Haha I don't remember people walking around with them attached to their heads. I must not have had the cool version.

15. Jeff71hotrod

Jeff71hotrod Member
    Bronze

how much did you get out of your 4?

16. Disneymom2003

Disneymom2003 Member
    Bronze

For me it is the size. I know most want a BIGGER screen. I don't need a bigger screen or bigger phone. If I want bigger I have an IPad. I seriously hope the next one is not bigger still. So far I am staying with what I have, the iPhone 4.

17. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I got 250 for it. I had it for 300 but dropped it to get a quick sale.

18. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Want a real change? Get a galaxy S 3 or some other phone. There's never been a big change with the iPhone. Why would they?

19. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Why would anyone get an S3?

20. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I tried an s3 for a week while I waited on the announcement. I may go back to it once I put hands on the iPhone.