Birthdays

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluejak, Dec 23, 2016.

1. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

I keep finding odd birthdays in my calendar, some of them people I know vaguely, most of them people I have never heard of. I find they have added themselves to my Contacts. In one case recently when deleted from my Contacts it kept coming back. In most (possibly all?) the contact includes an IM_SERVICE number, whatever that is.

Suggestions to get rid of these permanently?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Are these people you vaguely know Facebook friends? And if you go into Settings > Facebook, is the Contacts switch perhaps in the “On” position?

If the answer to both of these is yes, then toggle that setting off, then skim through your contacts and delete any that may have remained and are unwanted. They shouldn’t come back after that.

3. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

No and no. In fact I find that Settings > Facebook does not have the password and is asking for it.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Do you use the FB messenger app? There is a sync contacts option in there that is continuously updated ( if checked )

5. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

I certainly use both an FB app and a Messenger app. I shall look for a sync contacts option to turn it off if possible. Watch this space!

6. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

On Messenger sync contacts was turned off. On Facebook automatically upload contacts was turned off. So a clever idea but it does not look like the solution.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

First make sure you are you in contacts. Go to settings > Contacts> scroll down to "my info" > Tap it> scroll to your own contact and tap on it. It should say "me" in the list.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think we have established that he is in indeed in his Contacts. That’s why he created this thread in the first place: he found contacts “some of them people I know vaguely, most of them people I have never heard of."

9. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

True, but so what, pray?

10. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

Sorry, last reply was before Rafagon's explanation appeared.

11. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

Since I started this thread more have appeared. For example alissssssssssssssssssss1 has appeared in my Contacts. I have not used Messenger recently and have no-one of that name in Messenger or amongst my FB friends.

I fancy the solution must lie in the "IM_SERVICE_NAME" which is also alissssssssssssssssssss1. I believe all the problem ones have an IM_SERVICE_NAME. So what is an IM_SERVICE_NAME and whence does it come?

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You share Apple id's with anyone?
    Tried changing your Apple ID password?
    Just guessing at things to try at this point....

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Found this in a forum:

It may be a longshot, but in addition to the Twitter/Facebook contact import mentioned above, are you perchance using Gmail, and syncing iOS to your Google Contacts via CardDAV?

If so, you're probably seeing Google's 'My Contacts' in your address book. For every person who sends you an email, Google keeps a record of them in your Google Contacts. The unfortunate side effect is, if you ever sync your Google Contacts to another contact list (such as your iPhone address book), it winds up passing all of those one-time contacts into your address book by default.

Equally as unfortunate is that there's no good way to prevent it, aside from not syncing your Google Contacts with your iPhone.

Forum link: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/84839/random-contacts-on-my-iphone-5

14. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

Apple ID password changed recently for other reason: did not help this. My gmail account is not shown on my iPad nor synced in any way. I don't have a Twitter a/c.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You have seen his contacts list? I don't see where it was established it says "me" on his contact in the list. Sometimes it doesn't. And if if doesn't, then things may not work so great.

#15 Ledsteplin, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  16. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

It does say me in my Contacts list.

I think I may have solved the problem, or at least identified it. Above was mentioned Gmail, Twitter, Facebook and Messenger. But what was not mentioned was Skype and that included all the annoying extra names. So I have deleted them all and I think (I hope!) I have stopped it syncing with Skype.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for the ideas. Also googling IM_SERVICE_NAME helped: that led me to Skype.