BiteSMS

Jack06

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
Hey guys
did a search on the forums, but it seems you lot know a lot more about computers then me! I've installed bitesms via installer and love the application, however i'd really like to replace the original sms logo (the default sms application) with bitesms, I don't mind so much about the logo, I would just like it on my first page, is this possible?
if so can anyone give me a step by step guide in laymans terms?
thanks in advance guys
Jack

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
So first, you'll need to SSH into your phone. This has been covered many times on this forum so search and you'll find out how to.

In your SSH client, go to /Applications/MobileSMS.app

Look for "icon.png"

Download that to your computer.

Next go to /Applications/biteSMS.app

Look for "icon.png" again, but this time when you find it, delete it.
Then drag in the icon.png you took from /Applications/MobileSMS.app

After you've done all this, respring or restart your phone and it should look like this:

Good luck! :D

Jack06

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
hey guys just a quick question, if I set bitems to default how easy is it to go back to the default sms app from Apple? When I say default I mean replace the sms icon on my home screen with the bite sms app.
Also does anyone find the inbuilt dictionary of bitesms isn't as good as the default Apple sms app? I get some strange suggestions!
Cheers
Jack

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
hey guys just a quick question, if I set bitems to default how easy is it to go back to the default sms app from Apple? When I say default I mean replace the sms icon on my home screen with the bite sms app.
Also does anyone find the inbuilt dictionary of bitesms isn't as good as the default Apple sms app? I get some strange suggestions!
Cheers
Jack
You should just keep both apps at all times with the same icon. Then use Poof! to hide whichever one you aren't using as your default. That way it's still installed, but you don't have to have it on your homescreen.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Ok so with Bitesms do you still have to pay for texting when you send via carrier? what am i spending $6 for?

is there an app in Cydia that sends free sms if this one doesn't?

how does this work?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
You have to change settings to send messages using your carrier & not Bitesms. This way, you won't have to add credit to send messages.

Questionmark

Bronze
Sep 3, 2008
With the new version of BiteSMS you have to pay a fee to use it fully. You only have a trial version. This sucks because I don't want to pay for it

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I use bitesms for my main SMS app. I paid for it and I do not regret it. Does the free version have the quick reply option? If not that is worth the $5 right there.

onyxxx6700

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
they copied that from iRealSMS
I use both irealsms and bite (both paid) they both have features that I like. The most awesome thing about ireal SMS is QuickSMS (not quick reply) which lets you create an SMS or call someone from ANY application. Just hit the volume up button and boom, instant text/call. It's awesome!

LeXi

Dec 15, 2008
ok there are a few things I don't understand, I searched with no answers, so hopefully I can figure this out with some of your answers.

OK here is the story the company I work for pays my cell phone bill, they get mad at me when I text, I told them to either bill me or I will pay the monthly fee to put it on my plan.

I was reading that bitesms charges for a license and you have to buy credits. If I were to install this and buy credits will I be able to text without showing up on the cell bill?

And if the answer to that is yes to you have to be on a wireless network for this to work?

Thanks LeXi

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does anyone know if there is a way to get status bar messages with BiteSMS? If not, is this something they are working on? I've been using stock messaging for three months now and I've really gotten accustomed to the action-free status bar notifications. I love quick reply, quick send, and time stamps for all messages, but I prefer to have an unobtrusive messages option while using the phone.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Though I'd only been using stock messaging for about a month I was also used to and fond of the banner notification for texts. You could either ignore it or tap it to jump to the message app. I don't know of any way to get the same thing with BiteSMS, nor do I know of any plans to integrate it. I hope they do. One new feature I've noticed in BiteSMS is the Later button which dismisses the popup but keeps the message unread and the icon badged so you don't forget. This opposed to the Close button which marks it read.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks. I'll just use the later button. I'm just getting used to Bite. I've been using iReal for a couple years, but it doesn't integrate with 5.0 as well.