BiteSMS

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I've been using BiteSMS for years and since updating to iOS 5, I thought the same thing about having the app display incoming messages in the status bar. Like you said, QC and QR is great and is probably worth the price of the app, but we should have an option/choice to display incoming messages like the native app or the current BiteSMS way.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
This is what I did:

Settings > Notifications > Message
Enable "Banners"

Open BiteSMS > Settings > Quick Reply
Alert Style: Use Apple Settings

Now you will get the iOS 5 banner at the top, and tapping it will bring up Quick Reply. You can now ignore it like before on the stock Messages app without anything interrupting you.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This is what I did:

Enable "Banners"

Now you will get the iOS 5 banner at the top, and tapping it will bring up Quick Reply. You can now ignore it like before on the stock Messages app without anything interrupting you.
Thanks, Monsieur Renard.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This is what I did:

Enable "Banners"

That worked. Thanks, Leo!

clemz91

Jan 24, 2012
This is what I did:

Enable "Banners"

Hi I tried this. It works perfectly when unlocked but not when my phone is locked. When it's locked, I still get the quick reply box?
Anyone else got this problem ? And how to fix it please?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Hi I tried this. It works perfectly when unlocked but not when my phone is locked. When it's locked, I still get the quick reply box?
Anyone else got this problem ? And how to fix it please?
BiteSMS > Settings > Quick Reply
Scroll down to the "Lock Screen" category, and turn off "Auto Show Quick Reply". That will then show the normal notification you expect to see from Messages. "Sliding" to respond to the text will unlock the device to the app you currently have opened (or not) and then open Quick Reply on top of it. Ignoring it will just display it on the lock screen.

clemz91

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks Leo but it didn't get exactly what I was expecting.
Now I don't have the QR box anymore but I got the standard Apple message alert (in the middle of the screen) - which is actually worst!

I would like to get the small banner at the top of the screen even when my phone is locked. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Thanks Leo but it didn't get exactly what I was expecting.
Now I don't have the QR box anymore but I got the standard Apple message alert (in the middle of the screen) - which is actually worst!

I would like to get the small banner at the top of the screen even when my phone is locked. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Oh.

That would be an entirely different tweak altogether, has nothing to do with BiteSMS, but iOS itself.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

wb1960

Jan 2, 2012
I just purchased bitesms. Do I have to go to the messages setting and turn off iMessage? How do I not use the stock messaging?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There is a setting to hide the stock messaging app, but you don't have to do that. You can just put it in a folder and ignore it. If Bite is installed, it will become the default messaging app.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
...Do I have to go to the messages setting and turn off iMessage? How do I not use the stock messaging?
biteSMS supports iMessage as well, so you don't need to turn it off. As Europa stated simply drag the icon into a folder and forget about it. Seeing as you're jailbroken you can poof applications if you don't wish to see them.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I thought I could send emoticons using BiteSMS. It works ok when sending to another iPhone. When I try and use them to a non iPhone the entire message is blank on the other end, If I do not use them everything is fine.
Any Help?
Thanks
Tom

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Which firmware is your iPhone running, maybe that has something to do with it. I've never had any problems with mine.
Have you contact them about this issue?