Black part of iPhone's back clicks/squeaks.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Clyde099

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Hello, new to the forums.

I just got my iPhone yesterday and noticed something odd today.
The black backing on the iPhone (left side, to be specific) clicks/squeaks when pushed on from it's side.
The right side is completely intact and does not click or squeak.
Upon further inspection I realized that the left side isn't exactly intact.
Although to the naked eye it does seem perfectly intact, it is not.
I tug on the backing gently and the left side pulls apart very, very little.
While this isn't a big problem entirely, it's really bothering me.

I am taking it to the genius bar either tomorrow or Monday.
Is this a legit reason to ask for a replacement?
I'm afraid that as time goes by, the issue will progress.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I think it would be a legit reason to get a new iPhone. Unless they can get it flush, which they probably wont be able to. So I would get a new one. Or at least ask for a new one.

Clyde099

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I think it would be a legit reason to get a new iPhone. Unless they can get it flush, which they probably wont be able to. So I would get a new one. Or at least ask for a new one.
Now, would they charge me a re-stocking fee?

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
wait. didn't it already passed the date since you bought it, because you only have 2 weeks since the day you bought it

Demus

Jul 2, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Just so you know there are others out there, mine also does the same. I'm past my 14 day return policy, but even if I wasn't I don't think I'd return it. I'd rather have squeaky plastic than one of the late model LCDs.

Jeremiah

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Maryland
Mine does the same thing but I'm really not worried about it. Behind the black piece is the battery, and in a year or so, its going to get replaced, to its going to have to come off, and they will put the black piece back on, and probably re-glue it or whatever is on it.

If you are really worried about it, take it to an Apple store, i'm sure they can fix it because they will have to take that off to get to the battery on the phone, so they may just apply a little bit of glue to were it is loose for you.

Or, maybe they will tell you not to worry about it, because it may need that little bit of play in it for it to be able to come off when the battery needs replacing. But, I don't really think that you will need a replacement because of it.

Mac Insomniac

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Same here. Noticed it the same day I bought it. Considering it didn't hender the phone's abilities I forgot about it until I read this post. But no problems here.

Clyde099

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I went ahead an took it to a genius.
He offered to exchange it and now I have a new iPhone...without the clicking noise.

GP78

Jul 2, 2007
NJ, USA
I have the same problem... it doesn't affect the functionality so I figured I'll just let it be.

Maybe I'll take it in... but right now... no biggie.

Did they tell you what was wrong or just say "oh it's busted, here's a new one"?

mthorp21

Oct 2, 2007
Same problem, 3 iPhones

I am currently on my third iPhone that has had this issue. Two had the loose part on the left side and one on both. Each time I have been given a new one, not a refurb. They have given no reason for it, just switched it. I returned my first one after i had it for 3 weeks. It really isn't a big deal functionality wise, but i also want my iPhone to be perfectly solid. Not sure if i will return my current one or not, i might return it then try and buy it from a different location. These were from a store in grand rapids, mi, I don't want to say of it was an ATT or Apple store, They have been great and willing to help and it is not their faults.

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
Mine does the same thing and I have had it for about 3 weeks. My iPod 5g did the same thing wear the dock connector was. I haven't really thought about taking it in, since it isn't affecting the performance and I use a hardshell Agent18 case.

Those of you that have this problem, are you going to take it in?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
wait. didn't it already passed the date since you bought it, because you only have 2 weeks since the day you bought it
you know, that's the "policy" but i took mine back after the 14day period(it was the 15th day lol) but they never asked when i bought it or anything..

i don't think they even plugged it into a computer..

so EVEN if it is past the date, i'd give ANYTHING a shot if my iPhone was messed up

mthorp21

Oct 2, 2007
I agree about doing what I have to to get it right but it is getting to the point where I'm starting to feel as if I am the one that is causing the problem. I check my phone in the store then within the next 24 hours this piece is loose. Just frustrating. There areonly so many mac genius' before ive seen them all.