Black to silver iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lilmike09

Jul 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi. i originaly purchased the iPhone on the first day it was released. i replaced the silver back with the black one as seen here: http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-black-metal-rear-cover-p-1766.html

I now think i want to return to the silver back. instead of replacing it again, i was thinking of just selling it on ebay for a nice little profit, considering its very rare that its black, and use the money to buy a brand new one, so i will have a silver back. but i read that the new ones come with a lower resolution screen. is the difference very noticeable? and does anyone know where i could buy a BRAND NEW in box original phone like one that was put out before they lowered the screen resolution?

thanks!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The screen resolution went down? I thought it was still 320 * 480? I've not noticed any difference with my old iPhone and new iPhone?

You should also put some "go faster" stripes on your iPhone with an emblem saying "NUTTA". That would really set it off ;)

Hi. i originaly purchased the iPhone on the first day it was released. i replaced the silver back with the black one as seen here: http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-black-metal-rear-cover-p-1766.html

I now think i want to return to the silver back. instead of replacing it again, i was thinking of just selling it on ebay for a nice little profit, considering its very rare that its black, and use the money to buy a brand new one, so i will have a silver back. but i read that the new ones come with a lower resolution screen. is the difference very noticeable? and does anyone know where i could buy a BRAND NEW in box original phone like one that was put out before they lowered the screen resolution?

thanks!

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007

thanks!
Rare? It's not rare if I can go and purchase the exact same parts on the internet. Don't count on too much profit, especially since changing the back most likely voided the warranty. I'd just put the silver on back on. Screen resolution has not been lowered.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
Rare? It's not rare if I can go and purchase the exact same parts on the internet. Don't count on too much profit, especially since changing the back most likely voided the warranty. I'd just put the silver on back on. Screen resolution has not been lowered.
i'd probably agree with you.
i personally wouldn't even buy a used phone to start with, let alone one that was tampered like that.
for that much money?

i never saw the old screens, but if they went down they must have been superb because the screen on mine is pretty excellent if i may say so myself.

Lilmike09

Jul 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
the only reason i use the term "rare" is because sure, you can buy the part, but its a VERY difficult process to change the back, anyone thats done it will no that. and im sure theres people out there who want one thats black, but doesn't want to go through the process

Oct 29, 2007
how i envy people in the usa who are able to obtain iPhones so easily...Is there any kind souls who are able to help me? I'll buy it from Apple online and shipped it to your address and you'll ship it back to me... Anyone? :laugh2:

Lilmike09

Jul 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
are you joking? dude don't even start until you have actually done it. first of all thats just taking apart the phone. here is actually replacing the back: http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/07/30/how-to-replace-the-iphone-enclosure/

Not one person who has done this has said it was easy and just about everyone says its the hardest swap they have ever done. let me see you do it for yourself, and only then can you say its not difficult.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
ACTUALLY when i sold one on ebay i did switch the back cover to black..

and it wasn't hard, it was just harder than other phones.

i sell phones constantly on ebay and have done MANY modifacations to their appearances(people on ebay are stupid and will buy anything 'different')

i guess next time my friend gives me another "broken" iPhone i'll take a video of it.

(a girl-friend of mine had recently bought an iPhone only to drop it NUMEROUS times, denting the hell out of EVERY cover and completely trashing the front to where there was actual 'glass' missing. decided that i would take it off her hands since she was going to throw it away[shes a girl, she's naive on electronics] and sell it on ebay. i spent a good amount on the replacement parts, but EASILY made a profit on ebay[i sold it for $700]. i'm sorry if it isn't 'easy' for some but for me it wasn't anything the tutorials online couldn't help)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have to say, that does look difficult.

are you joking? dude don't even start until you have actually done it. first of all thats just taking apart the phone. here is actually replacing the back: http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/07/30/how-to-replace-the-iphone-enclosure/

Not one person who has done this has said it was easy and just about everyone says its the hardest swap they have ever done. let me see you do it for yourself, and only then can you say its not difficult.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
OH... MY...GOD! I've never seen that done to an iPhone before. It never ceases to amaze me what people will do just to be "different."

But still, I don't think there's a profit to be made in a phone that's been voilated like this. Between the original price and the cost of the new back you're in this phone to the tune of $650. Not to mention that your phone is used and has no warranty. With brand new, unmolested iPhones running $399, do you honestly think someone is willing to pay more than $250 just for the privilege of owning a used iPhone with a black back?

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007

i sell phones constantly on ebay and have done MANY modifacations to their appearances(people on ebay are stupid and will buy anything 'different')

i guess next time my friend gives me another "broken" iPhone i'll take a video of it.

(a girl-friend of mine had recently bought an iPhone only to drop it NUMEROUS times, denting the hell out of EVERY cover and completely trashing the front to where there was actual 'glass' missing. decided that i would take it off her hands since she was going to throw it away[shes a girl, she's naive on electronics] and sell it on ebay. i spent a good amount on the replacement parts, but EASILY made a profit on ebay[i sold it for $700]. i'm sorry if it isn't 'easy' for some but for me it wasn't anything the tutorials online couldn't help)

I'm a girl/Woman and am VERY tech savvy. Just because your gf doesn't want to bother with it doesn't mean ALL girls/Women don't like to take things apart and "fix" them.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I'm a girl/Woman and am VERY tech savvy. Just because your gf doesn't want to bother with it doesn't mean ALL girls/Women don't like to take things apart and "fix" them.
Awww man, look what you've stirred up now!

:p

j/k angel, don't chomp my head off!;)