Black vs. White Case Scratching

Jul 24, 2008
I'm planning on getting an iPhone tomorrow and I'm curious to know if I should get a white one or black one? Does the black show scratches really bad?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Black one shows fingerprints more. Some argue white will look worse over time, but honestly that's yet to be determined.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Black one shows fingerprints more. Some argue white will look worse over time, but honestly that's yet to be determined.
If the iPhone plastic back is the same material as the MacBooks are, the white will look worse and stain over time. The MacBook plastic seems to pick up dark smudges really badly just from everyday handling.

When the white phone does scratch, you will create grooves that will lodge in dirt and debris, so yes, over time the white will end up looking worse. These grooves might be micro grooves, but over time they will multiply and so will the amount of dirt that lodges in them.

hiya1987

Jul 20, 2008
Manchester, England
ive got a black iPhone and i have no scratches on it yet had it since launch weekend. white is always going to show less scratches, its just like a black and white ipod go for white if you defo don't want to get any scratches.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Lets just say if you get white, you will get the best of both worlds, in a few months you'll have your self a Black one :p

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Don't let the black-iphone elitists scare you away from the white if it's what you like. The bottom line is that no one knows how either will look beyond two weeks of use at this point. I think the condition of any individual phone over time will be largely dependent on the way it is taken care of.

Probably obvious, but I got white and I'm very happy with my decision.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't read any stories or seen pics of a black or white iPhone being dropped or damaged as of yet. I went ahead with black because I think it will look better in the long run but there really is no telling.

Go with the color you like and you won't be disappointed.

Mech

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
yeah, either color should be fine in a nice case. I personally like the looks of the white better.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
seriously, get which ever color you won't mind holding to your face every time you talk on it. For me, I didn't mind white, but being that I use my phone a lot at work, I did not think it would be professional for me to have a white phone, so it was easy for me, black.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think the white case looks classy; I'll just have to make sure to take better care of the finish. Maybe I'll go the invisible shield route for the back.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
seriously, get which ever color you won't mind holding to your face every time you talk on it. For me, I didn't mind white, but being that I use my phone a lot at work, I did not think it would be professional for me to have a white phone, so it was easy for me, black.
White is unprofessional? How so? It's not like we're talking about some obscure, trendy color... it's WHITE.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
these topics are really getting to me. how many can there possibly be?
no one can tell you what to do. they aren't buying it, you are. that being said, what color do you like better? either way, if its going to be in a case, it doesn't matter.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
these topics are really getting to me. how many can there possibly be?
no one can tell you what to do. they aren't buying it, you are. that being said, what color do you like better? either way, if its going to be in a case, it doesn't matter.
It's a big decision. People want input. If it bugs you, skip the thread. Problem solved.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes, exactly. but if they want answers, search. problem solved.
i mean go ahead and ask if you want, but the answers will be the same.

/endrant

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
yes, exactly. but if they want answers, search. problem solved.
i mean go ahead and ask if you want, but the answers will be the same.

/endrant
I'm just saying that the power is completely in your hands; if something here irritates you, don't read it.

Yes, people could use the search feature before posting sometimes, but clearly several other forum members didn't mind offering their input. Doesn't seem to warrant "ranting" about. Just play nice. Visit the threads that inform or enterain you personally and disregard the rest.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
im sorry, but i really did see where i was playing mean?
and it would seem obvious that this thread is entertaining to me, as i took the time and posted in it.
anyways, offtopic.
best of luck to ya, regardless of your color choice! :)

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
White is unprofessional? How so? It's not like we're talking about some obscure, trendy color... it's WHITE.
I'm not saying that white is bad or trendy. I personally think that white is nice, but in my line of work, the brighter color of white is not as tactical as the darker color of black.... soo.... if you catch my drift here, in my profession, white is not as professional as black. ;)

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I'm not saying that white is bad or trendy. I personally think that white is nice, but in my line of work, the brighter color of white is not as tactical as the darker color of black.... soo.... if you catch my drift here, in my profession, white is not as professional as black. ;)
...sooo .... You're a ... catburglar? hitman? ;)