Blackberry iPhone Killer

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
I don't understand why every company releases a touchscreen and its automatically an iPhone killer? Just because its touchscreen?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't understand why every company releases a touchscreen and its automatically an iPhone killer? Just because its touchscreen?
The term has been misused since the competitors have not necessarily had features that the iPhone already had. We know there will be a shootout between RIM and Apple. It will be very interesting to see where this firefight will take us. :cool:

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
Yes I agree. I think this will be a very good strong phone, but no iPhone!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I predict that, like every single one of the other, it will fail miserably at killing the iPhone.

- John

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I predict that, like every single one of the other, it will fail miserably at killing the iPhone.

- John
But, what it will do, hopefully, is keep the iPhone technologically ahead of the competition. If all competitors offer A2DP, and Flash compatibility, for example, what would Apple's response be? To write off those features as acceptable losses or keep moving forward?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm just saying, the phone that will kill the iPhone is the next generation of iPhones.

- John

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
Since this isn't an ACTUAL pic of the Thunder we'll have to wait to see how much of a "killer" it is. I'm curious to see what the real thing looks like.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
What cracks me up is that Apple brings out a phone about a year ago and here we are almost a year later and all the competitors are scurrying to bring out the "iPhone killer". Get over yourselves, the iPhone just blew your proverbial doors off and now a year later you're trying to recoup your glory.

LOL

Losers.

The iPhone took things to a level no one else, a year later, can compete with. When these losers finally get an iPhone equivalent, the new iPhone will hit the streets and leave these jokers in the dust yet again.

You have to love Apple.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
iPhone killer huh! Blackberry. My prediction is that when Apple decides to take over the blackberry niche users who cannot live without the qwerty keyboard and sluggish outlook interface...the opposite will ring true, the iPhone will finally kill off blackberry in a convincing way.

IMHO blackberry is probably one lawsuit away from folding and closing the door for businesss.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
The blackberry looks way too iPhonish. Blackberry (or RIM) are trying to be something they're not. You just can't compare previous Blackberries and iPhones (we've got both). They're for whole different purposes, but with this new 'iPhone killer' I'm not too sure. This could be disastrous for Blackberry or a very successful decision. Only time will tell....

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I wouldn't go as far to say that this one can make or break RIM's future success and i also don't believe that Blackberry is close to ending businesss, Blackberry's have a very significant market and there will always be people who don't like Apple, like "simpler" and "less elegant" phones with the same features, and Blackberry's have a pretty substantial history of quality, so i don't see the company ending or anything. I think this phone simply shows the companies ability to compete with phones that threaten their market.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I think with RIM, WM and Apple, the "smartphone" market is going to see tremendous technical innovation as competition forces manufacturers to innovate to maintain or increase market share. This is a good, healthy process.

Will there be a market shake up? There are still too many manufacturers. My guess is Palm will be acquired. RIM still has a single point failure mode - all data must go through your local wireless carrier, to Canada and back again. We have seen some major outages this year due to RIM servers being down or faulty. That angered a number of customers who relied upon the Blackberry for work.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
But, what it will do, hopefully, is keep the iPhone technologically ahead of the competition. If all competitors offer A2DP, and Flash compatibility, for example, what would Apple's response be? To write off those features as acceptable losses or keep moving forward?
Agreed. The constant pressure on Apple to improve the iPhone can only be good for us.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
What cracks me up is that Apple brings out a phone about a year ago and here we are almost a year later and all the competitors are scurrying to bring out the "iPhone killer". Get over yourselves, the iPhone just blew your proverbial doors off and now a year later you're trying to recoup your glory.

LOL

Losers.

The iPhone took things to a level no one else, a year later, can compete with. When these losers finally get an iPhone equivalent, the new iPhone will hit the streets and leave these jokers in the dust yet again.

You have to love Apple.
What cracks me up even more is that a lot of these competitors were dissing the whole touch screen concept when the iPhone first came out. Now they're all jumping on the back of the bandwagon. God, they're like Cowboys fans...<ducking>

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I'm gonna reserve judgment until I can actually see what the thing looks like. The iPhone was/is a game changing device. I'm not sure even BB can
duplicate that.

I wouldn't hold your breath for that "final" lawsuit from Blackberry before they "fold" LOL. They do just fine.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
I wouldn't go as far to say that this one can make or break RIM's future success and i also don't believe that Blackberry is close to ending businesss, Blackberry's have a very significant market and there will always be people who don't like Apple, like "simpler" and "less elegant" phones with the same features, and Blackberry's have a pretty substantial history of quality, so i don't see the company ending or anything. I think this phone simply shows the companies ability to compete with phones that threaten their market.
If RIM are moving to a new, more apple-ish style with all their future Blackberries (not that we have any reason to believe they will) the decision may well affect RIM's future sucess if they sacrifice functionality for sub-Apple elegance. Our Blackberry is excellent, but I can see if they tried to make it more 'elegant' it would most likely affect its ease of use and possibly its robustness (imagine if Blackberries had glass screens?)

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
If RIM are moving to a new, more apple-ish style with all their future Blackberries (not that we have any reason to believe they will) the decision may well affect RIM's future sucess if they sacrifice functionality for sub-Apple elegance. Our Blackberry is excellent, but I can see if they tried to make it more 'elegant' it would most likely affect its ease of use and possibly its robustness (imagine if Blackberries had glass screens?)
That is true, but what was i was saying was more in the direction of, if blackberry makes a phone like this it won't ruin their success because it would be one model in their many models like the curve, and such. I think its a smart move on their part to spread their territory. Their other phones have been very successful, i'm sure they will put the same thought into this phone as well.

dgcree

May 17, 2008
Apple has nothing to worry about from RIM. There just trying to duplicate Apples amazing smartphone.