BlackBerry Keeps On Hanging On With New "Leap" Smartphone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

BlackBerry has introduced their new Leap, a 5-inch, full-touch smartphone at the Mobile World Congress.

Here are a couple of articles about it, followed by the full text of BlackBerry's press release (click on the fading text to expand the quote).

http://www.redmondpie.com/blackberry-leap-is-a-new-5-inch-full-touch-smartphone-with-no-physical-keyboard-video/
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31708121

2. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

BlackBerry's world market share is down to 0.4%. If they can survive with such a small user base the only way for them to go is up (or into oblivion completely). I'm rooting for them. I've always enjoyed the platform, appreciated their security, but the missing features is what lost me after more than a decade of use.

3. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Agree.

I live 20 minutes from their head office and have friends still working there. I'd like them to succeed.

However, having both an iPhone 6+ and a BB Z30 (work), I can tell you there are many difference between the 2. I think the BB email is slick! I use the hotspot on the BB for my laptop. It works and is more stable than the 6+.

I have not seen the Leap. I can tell you though that a close friend has the BB model that is almost square. He loves it!

4. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I still think the BlackBerry Hub is the best messaging protocol out there. I also like Windows Phone's contact management system that includes social feeds - an all-in-one solution for keeping up with friends.

As a Mac user, however, there is no substitute for the iPhone's integration with iCloud and the whole Mac ecosystem.

5. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

Certain things BB does right!

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Can you elaborate?

7. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

I could but that would require me to waste time. If you can't see it, me pointing it out would be useless to both of us. Funny thing about the Apple community, It believes that the only features that are worth while are the one Apple supplies. Narrow thinking

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We can't read your mind. You're making negative assumptions about us. If you are going to post something so incredibly vague on a public forum, you should expect people to ask you to elaborate. Some people have never used that platform and therefore aren't aware of all the features. Give us a little more credit than automatically assuming the entire Apple community is going to dislike these ideas or pretend like they aren't good just because we use iPhones. Every platform has its strong points and most people here can see that.

9. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

3 are already here in this thread.
    Post #2 Security,
    Post #3 "BB email is slick! I use the hotspot on the BB for my laptop. It works and is more stable than the 6+"
    Post #4 ." BlackBerry Hub is the best messaging protocol out there"
    This didn't require reading my mind at all so when I see the post that I quoted I just assumed, Probably correctly, that it was just more of the same. My 1st post was simply agreeing that BB does do some things very well. There are more and I've had both Apple and BB products. I don't have an allegiance to any one platform. When BB didn't serve my needs I moved to the iPhone and when BB came out with a new platform i switched back. I bought the i6 when my BB finally died after 2 years and there was no new replacement that was an all touch device I switched again.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard very good things about BB messaging and email, though I've never used them myself. iMessages is one of my favorite features on the iPhone. There is a lot of room for improvements on email on iOS, but I can't think of any for iMessaging. What suggestions for iMessages do you have? I've been using tethering on my iPhones for years and I've never had a problem with it. Security isn't generally thought of as a problem on iOS. It would be a good debate point against Android, but not so much on iOS.

11. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

Lets just face reality. The Op's title was littered with sarcasm so one could infer that the sarcasm overflowed into his response to my post.

12. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

I love imessage. If I had to list the only complaint that I have, If you change platforms you need to physically deactivate iMessage. It's petty but why should you have to deactivate it if you change platforms

13. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

The biggest difference in email is how attachments are handled. iOS just doesn't do attachments unless they are pics or video. Anything else is just cumbersome. If you need to attach 2 files, I'd rather send smoke signals. LOL

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My problem was with you making assumptions about the entire Apple community. I probably wouldn't have even replied if your reply was directed only at him and not all of us.

15. Outdoors51

Outdoors51 New Member

My apologies

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's actually pretty easy to send multiple pictures from the stock mail app. Just tap and press insert photo or video. More than one is allowed.

Because of the way the file system is secured on iOS, you can't get to those files without third party apps anyway. The apps that you use to access them can also email them. It's not a hassle to me to use DropBox to email .pdfs, word documents, etc. However, it is a very common complaint and I do see it as an area for improvement even though it's a non-issue for me.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Far from correct. I've praised other Smartphone makers on more than one occasion. Here's just one of them, where I praised certain features I liked about Amazon's Fire Phone. And I have plenty of criticism for iOS and for Apple, and I've expressed it on many a post here on eiC. Sometimes you can't draw conclusions about someone simply from reading one thread.

18. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly BlackBerry has to do, to get back into the top "two" of the smartphone world. But, I feel developers of applications and the likes, need to be behind the company. It does appear as if BlackBerry are now gearing more towards the business consumer, versus the every day user. With that, the models that are creating\developing are following suit.

To me, if they made a Z30 type device, all touch, nano SIM, with at least 80% of the apps available for Android and iOS, they might be onto something. Then again, you can't force developers to develop for a particular brand, they have to want to...

PS: being able to install apps from Android (Snap) or Amazon simply doesn't count...

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't see that happening. It's no secret that they have been struggling lately. They are so far behind in the race that there is pretty much no chance they could push past Apple or Android at this point unless one of them gave up all together and dropped out.

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't know what sorcery they're using, but somehow they still have enough cash to make a new acquisition at a cost of $70 million. A different article published two days later puts the cost at about $100 million.

There must be some pretty creative accounting going on in the background.