Blackberry Messenger coming to iOS and Android this Summer

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rafagon, May 14, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Struggling Research In Motion Ltd. d/b/a Blackberry is trying desperately to give would-be buyers every possible excuse to buy a Blackberry phone. Now they're getting ready to offer BBM to iOS and Android users. Why? Because they know that they have long been dwarfed by both of these platforms, so they want to keep the few people who actually decide to take a chance on their too-little-too-late handsets happy. "Yes, dear customers, we know that 95% of your friends have an iPhone, and now you'll be able to send unlimited, free texts/pics/what-not to them from your Blackberry handset!"

Sure, that tidbit of effort on their part may work, as long as BBM doesn't keep suffering from downtime. There are a number of documented instances on the web, in various markets, which are obviously too many to list here, but here's one, here's another one, and here's yet another one.

Nice try, Blackberry, just make another video and you might just have a chance to reclaim a small percentage of your old customers back...

2. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I don't know anyone who owns a Blackberry. So does this mean that it's like iMessage you have to have a blackberry or anybody who has the app can text each other? Sounds like BBM wants to be like IOS and the other platforms.

Sent using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's going to be cross platform, so you'll be able to message Android, iPhone and the two BlackBerry users you might know.:LOL:

4. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I won't be surprised if a requirement was that one end of the conversation have a true BB PIN.

Sent from my Nexus 4

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The following excerpt from this article from "Inside Blackberry: The Official Blackbery Blog" claims that BBM users on all platforms will now have access to the same features BBM users have been using (I don't know if any of these are brand new or if they've all ben around). The only new "benefit" is that you have cross-platform compatibility between iOS or Android and the two or three Blackberry users in the Continental USA (I don't think any Blackberry users exist in Alaska or Hawaii), and the seven or so Blackberry users outside of the USA.
    • The immediacy of BBM chats (so what? iMessage chats are just as immediate)
    • Multi-person chats (this seems cool, but iOS already has Group Messaging for that)
    • Voice note sharing (this is also cool, it's like a quick voice-mail sent via BBM I assume; I don't believe iOS has this yet, although you can Share Voice Memos via Email and MMS--you can even Trim Voice Memos before you send them!)
    • BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files (what files?) and more (iOS already has Shared Photostreams for photo sharing, and iOS already has shared calendars)
    Why would someone who already has these features with iOS's standard offerings want to suddenly start using the same old features on a new Blackberry app? As I've stated above, the number of Blackberry users is a tiny minority.

If anything, having a cross-form platform to accomplish these things from iOS to Android is going to strengthen both of those brands who already have a major advantage over Blackberry.

Blackberry then goes on to throw in a couple of quick "facts," in an obvious display of desperation. I find many of these questionable at best. Who collected these facts? An impartial third party? It would be nice to know where they're getting these "facts" from, but Blackberry conveniently did not disclose their source.
    • More than 60 million monthly active users
    • More than 51 million daily active users who are connecting with friends or colleagues an average of one and a half hours every day.
    • BBM users send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps
    • Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are
    "How truly engaged BBM customers are." LOL!

Good luck, Blackberry. Nobody can say you're going down without a fight!

6. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

BB (BlackBerry) announced that they will be releasing their famous feature (BlackBerry Messenger) to iOS and Android devices. What do you guys think about the news? Will you give it a go or will you pass? Is this a smart move on BB part? Some people say this is a way for BB to compete against Whatsapp messenger app. Just wanted to know what's your take on the whole thing?

Sent using iCafe app

7. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Too little too late.

8. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

You think so?!?

Sent using iCafe app

9. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Yep. BlackBerry is a dying brand.

10. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Actually, a cross platform connect between iOS and Android in an enhanced messaging app would be nice. I've tried WhatsApp but eventually returned to a good SMS app.

Maybe BB is doing this as strategic preservation of the remaining base they have. Those that have yet to flip often cite the dwindling value in BBM as a reason to explore other platforms.

Sent from my Nexus 4

11. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Maybe Blackberry is trying to open the market for "purchases in app" once this comes put. I'm convinced they gotta be workin on a way to tap into more money somewhere. It sounds like its only benefitting iOS and Android by expanding their base even wider.....It is RIM who am I kiddin...lol.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Threads merged.

13. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not saying I care about this. I don't, but comparing this to iMessage doesn't make sense. iMessage is a single platform solution. This is an attempt to create a cross platform solution.

Of course there are already a bunch of cross platform solutions: Skype, Yahoo IM, AIM, ..., so maybe not such a big deal.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They're on life support. Someone should just slap a "Do not resuscitate" order on their arse.

I will never, ever forget their "Wake Up" publicity stunt in May of last year. It's one of the most desperate and pusillanimous acts I've ever witnessed by a major company. This is just one of various reasons I have such disdain for the company.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have to respectfully, but only partially, disagree with you. iMessage is, to some degree, cross-platform. I'll grant you that you must remain within the Apple ecosystem to take advantage of iMessage on non-iphone devices, but you can send an iMessage between almost all of Apple's devices: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad Mini (and maybe soon on the iWatch?). More importantly, the iMessage protocol is also supported by all of Apple's computers which can run OS X Mountain Lion and above. OS X and iOS are different platforms (iOS apps do not run unmodified on OS X, and vice versa); ergo, iMessage is cross-platform.

If Blackberry wants their BBM service to have any chance of competing with iMessage, they need to extend it to non-phone devices, like Apple has done with iMessage: Blackberry has to make BBM work on Windows and OS X machines (Blackberry doesn't make operating systems for personal computers, so they need to support both major platforms, unlike Apple, who, for obvious reasons, supports iMessage only on their OS X). As an aside, Blackberry at one point did make Blackberry device simulators for... I'm assuming Windows (and not OS X), but apparently they've abandoned that. There is no mention of a BB10 simulator for Windows. So apparently, at one point it was possible to run BBM on Windows through the use of one of these simulators. Apparently, there isn't enough interest for Blackberry to make a BB10 simulator (go figure!).

But what about Blackberry's very own Playbook? Remember that thing? Any chance it'll get BBM capabilities? Or even BB10, for that matter? Or has Blackberry given up on it? Well, when asked, CEO Thorsten Heins simply "responded by avoiding the question directly." Even Blackberry users themselves are laughing at the possibility that the PlayBook will ever get the BB10 update.

Bottom line, I think it is great that BBM is coming to iOS and Android, but they need to be also need to expand it to devices other than iPhones and Android phones. As it stands, the BBM apps that are coming to iOS and Android will support only the latest and greatest (iOS 6.0+, Android 4.0+) versions of these platforms. It's not a problem for iOS, but it may be somewhat of an issue for those on the rather fragmented Android. (Only about 8% of iOS users were not on iOS 6 as of April 7th, 2013; but a rather significant ~50% of Android users were not yet on Android 4.0 as of February 5th, 2013.)

16. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed. Without computer support, it's not really cross platform.

To me, that's why Skype is the tool to beat: IM, Voice, Video... all types of smart phones (Apple, Android, Windows, Blackberry) and all types of computers (Windows, Apple, Linux).

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There is a very bright side to this. After we iPhone users convince our Android brethren to download this upcoming BBM app, we can pretty much toss our $20/month text plan in the garbage.

There will be no reason left to have a text plan.

AT&T's payment confirmation texts, which I like, are free...

I like my Walgreens "Your prescription is ready" text alerts for the occasional prescription I pick up, but they also send you e-mails when your Rx is ready.

And to those still on "feature phones," well, they're just gonna have to call us or e-mail us.

$20/month=$240/year. I like the sound of that.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

^ I'll still need unlimited texting. I don't have an unlimited calling plan, and unlimited texting gives me unlimited mobile to ANY mobile (not just AT&T to AT&T). Plus, not all android-using contacts will use this messenger and sometimes iMessages doesn't work so they the messages go through cellular. So I'd probably exceed 100 texts/month, which would be more than $20 and make it more expensive than unlimited.

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow, can't imagine paying for texting.

Sent from my Nexus 4

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're paying for texting. You have a monthly bill, right? It's included in there somewhere even if it says free texting or unlimited texting. In the US, they made minutes and texting unlimited, but more than doubled the price of data. I chose to keep my old minutes/texting plan because the bill works out to being slightly cheaper.