BlackBerry Messenger on iOS

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I understand BBM was the thing to use back in the late 90's and early 2000's but what does it have over other apps such as iMessage or Whatsapp that so many people are already using?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The app just received an update. I installed the update and then it treated me like I was a BBM virgin. It told me there was a line to get in, and asked me for my e-mail address. Luckily, it recognized me at that point and it let me back in. Are we going to have to go through this every time there's an app update? Couldn't they have updated the app and kept my login credentials from my prior use of the app?

Mods: Could you please change the title of this thread to "BlackBerry Messenger on iOS"? I'd like to continue BBM discussion but I don't feel there's sufficient interest at this point for a second BBM thread.

Sent using iCafe app

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The stock messages app that includes iMessage and the Facebook Messenger app are all I need, as no one I know uses BBM or has any desire to use it. I'm already on a waiting list for Hop, which is supposed to make email great and wonderful. But the reviews suggest maybe not so much. I currently have 35,353 people ahead of me in line. I may get it in about a month.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The stock messages app that includes iMessage and the Facebook Messenger app are all I need, as no one I know uses BBM or has any desire to use it. I'm already on a waiting list for Hop, which is supposed to make email great and wonderful. But the reviews suggest maybe not so much. I currently have 35,353 people ahead of me in line. I may get it in about a month.

That's kinda my attitude about BBM - who cares?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I didn't understand why this gets so much attention up until a few months ago when someone pointed out that BB Messenger for iOS could be used to send IMs between Androids and iOS devices. Of course, there are a lot of other apps that do the same thing.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
...someone pointed out that BB Messenger for iOS could be used to send IMs between Androids and iOS devices.
Not just between Android and iOS devices--BBM for iOS **also** lets you send IMs to all the people out there who own a BlackBerry phone... all seven of them.

And according to respected YouTube user "mariamiller7776", you can also install BBM on Windows Phone?

What!

*dancing a happy jig*

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not just between Android and iOS devices--BBM for iOS **also** lets you send IMs to all the people out there who own a BlackBerry phone... all seven of them.

And according to respected YouTube user "mariamiller7776", you can also install BBM on Windows Phone?

What!

*dancing a happy jig*
Obviously. I just meant that I didn't understand the popularity since most people don't know anyone with a Blackberry - until I found out it could ALSO be used between iOS and Android.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Even so, there have been message apps that work cross platform for years. Blackberry's sure doesn't look like anything special.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, I agree and I have no interest in BBM. However, it boggled my mind that it was getting so much attention (since hardly anyone uses Blackberry anymore) until I found out it could be used for iOS and Android. I'm sure a lot of people still don't realize that, so I thought I'd mention it.

I haven't ever checked it out, but I have heard that the design is really nice. I guessing it's a better instant messenger than a lot of them that are out there. Goggle Hangouts wasn't that great. I'm irritated that I was forced to sign up with Google+ when I installed Hangouts to chat with Android users last spring. I need to find out if there is a way to kill my Google+ account because I'm still getting emails saying which friends joined and I've never used it.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
There is. I've had to do it like three or four times now.

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1044503?hl=en
So easy to get in... so hard to get out.

Like that Black Flag® Roach Motel. "Users check in... but they don't check out!"

I noticed this bit of fine print in the final paragraph:
If you’d like to stop using Google services that require a Google Account, like Google+, Gmail, and many others, you can delete your Google Account. Learn how to delete your Google Account.

What happens next: You'll lose access to all Google services and existing data requiring a Google Account. If you currently use Gmail, you won’t be able to reuse your Gmail address. <emphasis mine>
Why can't you reuse it? Could it be because it's permanently stored in indelible bytes on their servers? Hmm, Google?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I hate how Google does their services. I needed 2 YouTube accounts. So now I have 2 Google+ accounts. I don't even like Google+. So if I delete the second Google+ account, will that wipe out all my gmail accounts, even though I would still have a Google+ account? Google really makes it difficult.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I hate how Google does their services. I needed 2 YouTube accounts. So now I have 2 Google+ accounts. I don't even like Google+. So if I delete the second Google+ account, will that wipe out all my gmail accounts, even though I would still have a Google+ account? Google really makes it difficult.
It does not delete your email account. It just deletes Google+. I deleted my Google+ account yesterday.