BlackBerry Storm better than iPhone 3G

Dec 8, 2008
I'm torn between giving up my Storm or considering getting an iPhone or something that is more advanced than the crummy version that's out now. Nothing but problems, bad connections, etc. Does Apple have an plans to make another iPhone that allows you to replace the upgrade or replace the memory card, batteries? I really like the IM and MMS on my phone, however I am concerned about application avail. and so may either go Windows Mobile or G2 or G3 (maybe the G2 or G3 will be the best one).

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Only you can decide what fits your needs. No one ever knows what Apple's next move will be but Apple. Some (such as myself) think The Storms features make The Storm more practical and useful than the iPhone. Others believe the iPhone suits their needs better. It really all comes down to personal choice and what a person needs their mobile device to do. Both iPhone and Storm are wonderful devices they just serve different masters. There is a thread in the General Discussion section titled Don't Believe The Lies Storm vs iPhone. You will find both opinions there for and against both phones. Welcome to EIC hopefully you will stick around and become part of the community. Lots of info here... Mark

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
no wifi and shitty battery life are enough to turn me off. it is a nice phone, but that is where i draw the line.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
no wifi and shitty battery life are enough to turn me off. it is a nice phone, but that is where i draw the line.
The Storm has no Wifi? WTF? Honestly, what feature do you use more. MMS, C&P or Wifi? GIve me wifi anyday.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Exactly, they dropped the ball BIG TIME with no wifi

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
well for people in areas with spotty or no 3g coverage it is a very big deal. Also my friend has one, its a nice phone don't get me wrong but the battery life SUCKS

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
well for people in areas with spotty or no 3g coverage it is a very big deal. Also my friend has one, its a nice phone don't get me wrong but the battery life SUCKS
I see your point. I don't know about the battery life on the Storm personally (I'd ask Swagger or aggie), but the battery life on my Bold ROCKS

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yah i've heard good things about the bold for sure. i know another scenario where no wifi could suck is if you are in an office building or something where the structure is detrimental to 3g service. normally you could just hook up to wifi, but with the storm you are SOL

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
No WiFi isn't a problem for all Storm users since we have 3G everywhere. Wherever I didn't have ATT service, I have now in Verizon, and their service will suffice over the lack of WiFi. And for those knocking the Storm without every trying it, go check it out. It might actually kick Apple in the foot to start making the iPhone better.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Storm - No Wifi
Bold = Tiny screen and crummy browser

iPhone Rocks!

seriously, you have most likely never touched a Bold.

The screen is not tiny by any means. It is the highest res screen of any phone out there (in the US market, Euro Touch HD notwithstanding) and blows away the resolution of the iPhone screen. The browser is not crummy at all, not as good as safari of course, but has not crashed on me one single time. I browse as much on it as I did on Safari with no problems whatsoever.

Oh and of course I have 4 push email accounts on my phone, exceptional battery life, audio and video playback is amazing, the external speaker(s) kill the iPhones speaker, MMS, copy/paste, saving attachments/programs from the browser or email, multitasking, real IM experience, realtime IM message alerts/myspace alerts/facebook alerts. And with all of this constant connectivity better battery than my iPhone.

Everyone has their own opinion of what's best for them and their needs, but blindly dismissing something based on such an uniformed opinion and baseless claim wreaks of blind loyalty aka fanboyism.

The point of my post is definitely not to belittle the iPhone. I love the iPhone and hope for improvements and additions through competition. But to just blindly dismiss everything else and say "iPhone rocks" is a little off base to say the least. Again, fanboyism.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
No WiFi isn't a problem for all Storm users since we have 3G everywhere. Wherever I didn't have ATT service, I have now in Verizon, and their service will suffice over the lack of WiFi. And for those knocking the Storm without every trying it, go check it out. It might actually kick Apple in the foot to start making the iPhone better.
As much as I like the Storm, I have to disagree with you. The exclusion of Wifi on any smartphone in this era is inexcusable. Yes Verizon's network is excellent but there are areas that EVDO coverage is not available. Further, as much as people claim Verizon's network is fast, it still does not compare to wifi speeds when i'm connected to my network at home. Also, I appreciate having wifi when I'm abroad or on a cruise and able to send emails or check scores using wifi instead of accruing international roaming charges. People forget that little convenience.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I see your point. I don't know about the battery life on the Storm personally (I'd ask Swagger or aggie), but the battery life on my Bold ROCKS
I found battery life on the Storm to be a bit better than the iPhone 3g but not near as good as the Bold's. And I really pushed the battery. I constantly had myspace or facebook running as well as BeeJive, used it as my media player just as I did my Bold and iPhone. I was plenty happy with the battery life on it. It wasn't stellar at first but after a few charge cycles and the update to .75 it was pretty good.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I found battery life on the Storm to be a bit better than the iPhone 3g but not near as good as the Bold's. And I really pushed the battery. I constantly had myspace or facebook running as well as BeeJive, used it as my media player just as I did my Bold and iPhone. I was plenty happy with the battery life on it. It wasn't stellar at first but after a few charge cycles and the update to .75 it was pretty good.
I agree Aggie. My battery life is also better than the iPhone. Ok no wifi who cares. Verizons network is fast. And for the ones thinking the iPhone battery is better. It's because the iPhone doesn't have all the goodies running in the background for real time communication that Aggie mentioned.

The Storm and Bold are leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone when it comes to features. Hell Apple is on iPhone v2 and you still didn't gain much. Wait until Storm v2. I have also had no crashes of any kind. Let's not even get started on AT&T's horrible service. Think about it. You are paying for 3g there should be no need for wifi. The only thing the iPhone has over The Storm and Bold is the browser. But what good is even that since it crashes all the time. In a few more months it will be two years for iPhone and Apple still hasn't fixed the freaking browser. Pound for pound BB will leave iPhone in the dust! Mark

P.S. If all that isn't bad enough. You then have to deal with Apple's we will tell you what you need attitude.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
That is nothing that can't be solved by buying a prepaid sim when abroad. And who wants to check email on a vacation/cruise anyway? Mark

Oops quoted wrong post sorry. Mark

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
That is nothing that can't be solved by buying a prepaid sim when abroad. And who wants to check email on a vacation/cruise anyway? Mark
I'd like to have the option to do so if I wanted. I'd prefer not mess with tracking down a prepaid sim. I like having my family able to send me emails and vice versa when I'm abroad, and I always like to be connected to my sports scores. There's no way you can spin it, exclusion of wifi is inexcusable. Doesn't necessarily make the Storm a bad phone, its definitely not a deal breaker, but it is a definite negative.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'd like to have the option to do so if I wanted. I'd prefer not mess with tracking down a prepaid sim. I like having my family able to send me emails and vice versa when I'm abroad, and I always like to be connected to my sports scores. There's no way you can spin it, exclusion of wifi is inexcusable. Doesn't necessarily make the Storm a bad phone, its definitely not a deal breaker, but it is a definite negative.
Well yes I have to admit that is true. Seeing all that I've gained vs iPhone. I can live with it though. Is the Bold only on AT&T if so that will break the deal for me. I'm sick of their crappy service.

And may I say? See what happens when a person or company gets ****y and feels they are the only game in town? One day you look up and the stands are empty. A lot of people are returning to or flocking to BB because they provide what customers ask for. M

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
seriously, you have most likely never touched a Bold.

The screen is not tiny by any means. It is the highest res screen of any phone out there (in the US market, Euro Touch HD notwithstanding) and blows away the resolution of the iPhone screen. The browser is not crummy at all, not as good as safari of course, but has not crashed on me one single time. I browse as much on it as I did on Safari with no problems whatsoever.

Oh and of course I have 4 push email accounts on my phone, exceptional battery life, audio and video playback is amazing, the external speaker(s) kill the iPhones speaker, MMS, copy/paste, saving attachments/programs from the browser or email, multitasking, real IM experience, realtime IM message alerts/myspace alerts/facebook alerts. And with all of this constant connectivity better battery than my iPhone.

Everyone has their own opinion of what's best for them and their needs, but blindly dismissing something based on such an uniformed opinion and baseless claim wreaks of blind loyalty aka fanboyism.

The point of my post is definitely not to belittle the iPhone. I love the iPhone and hope for improvements and additions through competition. But to just blindly dismiss everything else and say "iPhone rocks" is a little off base to say the least. Again, fanboyism.
Very well said aggie, the Bold is no lightweight