blackberry storm vs iPhone

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I miss having a status indicator light.

Yeah I have posted on this before. I have mobile me but really whats the point of push email if you don't know it has arrived (obviously when your phones on silent or when you in a busy noisey area or when you have popped away from your desk). Why cant you even get a 'new email' alert as with the 'new sms' that currently exists. Simple but stupid omission by Apple. The storm will bring some decent competition and Apple will have to raise its game.

That said I use a blackberry for work so for me its the best of both worlds......I feel a storm a comin ;)

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Yeah I have posted on this before. I have mobile me but really whats the point of push email if you don't know it has arrived (obviously when your phones on silent or when you in a busy noisey area or when you have popped away from your desk). Why cant you even get a 'new email' alert as with the 'new sms' that currently exists. Simple but stupid omission by Apple. The storm will bring some decent competition and Apple will have to raise its game.

That said I use a blackberry for work so for me its the best of both worlds......I feel a storm a comin ;)
Friend I could not agree with you more. Very silly omission from Apple, it would make sense to have some sort of secondary alert. I like your idea of a message pop up, that could be pretty handy.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

Jailbreak and try intelliscreen.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I am seriously considering the Storm, and selling my first gen. I love Apple but no so much the iPhone anymore.. I will need a Touch though.
I see from you avatar that you may like music (good music at that). don't forget that the iPhone is also one of the best music devices ever...if not thee best. You will not get that from any blackberry device and I've had many. Just leave your sim locked (hence no mobile connection) on your iPhone and you have an ipod touch!

Crates

Dec 10, 2008
I have had 3 storm handsets - each faulty. That big click screen was the culprit in each case. If you are a businesss user, it probably makes sense. If not, the iPhone (which I have now replaced the Storm with) is so much nicer to use overall. Slicker, leaner and more intuitive.

ashndrew1404

Mar 1, 2008
I a very torn between the two! What turns me off is the way Verizon has dealt eih the whole selling of the storm! I have also seen soo many posts about how bad everyone's storms are! There's a new os but more problems along with them! I love the app store from Apple and that makes me want the iPhone more! What turns me off of the iPhone is that there is no device insurance on it! (Sorta scares me)! I have tmobile right now so my service is kinda choppy to say the least. So for me verizon or AT&T is a solution! I am just torn and have been doing my research and each day I sway back and forth! Decisions decisions lol!

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I a very torn between the two! What turns me off is the way Verizon has dealt eih the whole selling of the storm! I have also seen soo many posts about how bad everyone's storms are! There's a new os but more problems along with them! I love the app store from Apple and that makes me want the iPhone more! What turns me off of the iPhone is that there is no device insurance on it! (Sorta scares me)! I have tmobile right now so my service is kinda choppy to say the least. So for me verizon or AT&T is a solution! I am just torn and have been doing my research and each day I sway back and forth! Decisions decisions lol!
sounds like the service plan between att iPhone plan, and verizon storm plan isn't that much of difference....

So I guess it make you even harder to decide.... LOL

From the information I gathered myself... looks like if you like your phone to gear toward businesss, then BB, or gear to fun, entertainment... then iPhone... (if you JB, that'd be even more fun!).

ashndrew1404

Mar 1, 2008
yes I figured I would be paying about 90 bucks a month either way! I am a paranoid person lol and I am afraid I something bad will happen to my iPhone and then there's 200 bucks down the drain and bout 400 plus for a new one! All the apps makes me want it! And seeing how the iPhone is actually available to me NOW is appealing lol! I am a torn girl haha...

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
iPhone=fun

storm=work

its simple if you want to have an entertainment device get the iPhone. if you want a businesss phone go with the storm. have to much fun with my iPhone to go back right now.

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
iPhone=fun

storm=work

its simple if you want to have an entertainment device get the iPhone. if you want a businesss phone go with the storm. have to much fun with my iPhone to go back right now.
I am in need of a new smartphone (SP) at the end of this month and I am looking at the iPhone vs Storm. I have a BB 8830 now. I have had multiple Palm & Windows devices. All have + & -. I travel somewhat and I tend to have multiple email accounts and one central exchange account. I carry an iPod when I travel and I play games on my SP. I am curious why the iPhone is often classed as fun. Does it not do the work stuff well? It seems to have the features or available apps from the App store for businesss. Can anyone clarify what makes the BB Storm better for Business than the iPhone?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Well I'm sure the iPhone can do anything you need but no copy/paste is a hassle. Also if you are a big user of the BB email then you are already spoiled and I don't think that the iPhone can compete there. I would suggest at least trying one out for a little while and if you don't like it then take it back and see about the storm then. The only person who can choose is you. I have been watching a lot of videos on the storm and i must say just from the videos that I don't think I could use it. I hate the damn screen button thing and no wifi is a dealbreaker for me.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
yes I figured I would be paying about 90 bucks a month either way! I am a paranoid person lol and I am afraid I something bad will happen to my iPhone and then there's 200 bucks down the drain and bout 400 plus for a new one! All the apps makes me want it! And seeing how the iPhone is actually available to me NOW is appealing lol! I am a torn girl haha...
I purchased insurance through squaretrade for $80 with accidental plan, and it will covers everything except lost/stolen for 3 years.
Never gotten to claim for it, so I personally can't tell you it's reliable source, however, it does get great review all over...

Just FYI :laugh2:

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
Well I'm sure the iPhone can do anything you need but no copy/paste is a hassle. Also if you are a big user of the BB email then you are already spoiled and I don't think that the iPhone can compete there. I would suggest at least trying one out for a little while and if you don't like it then take it back and see about the storm then. The only person who can choose is you. I have been watching a lot of videos on the storm and i must say just from the videos that I don't think I could use it. I hate the damn screen button thing and no wifi is a dealbreaker for me.
wifi has not been a real need for me. I have been trying both phones and the typing is awkward. Seems like I will adjust given time with either phone. What specific aspects of the email do you think the iPhone is inferior to the BB devices?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Well I haven't used a BB for very long but I have always heard that the BB have true push email and that overall the email on the BB is just better. If you need push on the iPhone the mobile me idea works from what I have gathered. I'm not really the best one to answer your questions because I haven't owned one and haven't enjoyed the ones I have tinkered with. The typing on the iPhone will get better it just takes a little bit to get used to.

ashndrew1404

Mar 1, 2008
Ohh wow! So I could go the squaretrade route! Would I just sign up for it through the web? Thanks for all your help! Not having mms will bother me but I can live with it lol! So looks like I will get an iPhone!

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
On my Palm devices, I had to set the pull intervals for Versa Mail. However, I did have one Palm device with Good on it and that seemed to pull from my Exchange account within a minute or two. What kind of responsiveness could I expect from the iPhone integrated with Exchange?