blackberry storm vs iPhone

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I don't know that either but yahoo has a pretty good push service my emails usually arrive in just a few seconds.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Well I haven't used a BB for very long but I have always heard that the BB have true push email and that overall the email on the BB is just better. If you need push on the iPhone the mobile me idea works from what I have gathered. I'm not really the best one to answer your questions because I haven't owned one and haven't enjoyed the ones I have tinkered with. The typing on the iPhone will get better it just takes a little bit to get used to.
BlackBerry's and real push email go like fat kids and chocolate cake. I love getting my email on my Bold the instant it reaches my inbox. So, if email is a necessity, BB is the way to go.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Push email on the blackberry is superb. It's still the one to beat.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
wifi has not been a real need for me. I have been trying both phones and the typing is awkward. Seems like I will adjust given time with either phone. What specific aspects of the email do you think the iPhone is inferior to the BB devices?
Most people that make the statement that BB email is so much better than the iPhone are usually the same ones that say the BB is better for businesss and the iPhone better for fun. In my very humble opinion, most of them just haven't experienced both phones enough to make that statement.
One of the best differences in the email is that the BB can hook up to most exchange email by either BES or BIS. The iPhone sometimes has a problem with exchange, but that can be overcome by forwarding to Yahoo or Mobile Me (which has a yearly fee). The only other difference is no push email on pop accounts, you can only receive your email by "pull" every 15 or 30 minutes.
Other than that and no copy/paste, the iPhone is just as good for businesss as the Blackberry.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Most people that make the statement that BB email is so much better than the iPhone are usually the same ones that say the BB is better for businesss and the iPhone better for fun. In my very humble opinion, most of them just haven't experienced both phones enough to make that statement.
Guess I'm not one of those "most", as I owned an iPhone 3G for four months, and now have a BB Bold :p

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I'd just like to say I have used both devices extensively. I agree that the iPhone could be a businesss phone leader but it not there just yet. I think email is not it's only let down. Copy and paste and the lack of native document editing are all things that are stunting it's growth. I love the iPhone it's so much stronger than the BB in so many departments. I just don't see why Apple doesn't land the killer blows on it's rivals and add these function. We are not talking rocket science! I for one would love to just carry the one device but as for now I will be holding on to my BB also.

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
... The iPhone sometimes has a problem with exchange, but that can be overcome by forwarding to Yahoo or Mobile Me (which has a yearly fee).
My work Exchange server is my centeral system. I need full integration if I get the iPhone. I know it does not sync tasks, but KeyTasks seems to be the app to solve that problem. All my other email accounts are routed to my personal Exchange server. I have that configuered for IMAP on my BB. So what kind of problems were you refering too? Inconsitancy in mail delivery? Calendar or contacts issues? Just curious.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
wifi has not been a real need for me. I have been trying both phones and the typing is awkward. Seems like I will adjust given time with either phone. What specific aspects of the email do you think the iPhone is inferior to the BB devices?

I was wondering the same thing as far as BB mail. If you are running exchange then nothing can really touch Activesync with iPhone. But if you're using POP with out mobileme then I could see where BB might have an edge. Even IMAP with exchange is decent enough.

For me the BB interface is less than desirable. The Storm might have taken strides to overcome this but iPhone works for me.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
My work Exchange server is my centeral system. I need full integration if I get the iPhone. I know it does not sync tasks, but KeyTasks seems to be the app to solve that problem. All my other email accounts are routed to my personal Exchange server. I have that configuered for IMAP on my BB. So what kind of problems were you refering too? Inconsitancy in mail delivery? Calendar or contacts issues? Just curious.

For me iPhone activesync works flawlessly with mail, calendar and contacts. From what I've seen, exchange and BB still pushes great but you still have to plug in to sync calendar/contacts. If you have a BB Enterprise server then it should be equal to if not better than activesync.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ohh wow! So I could go the squaretrade route! Would I just sign up for it through the web? Thanks for all your help! Not having mms will bother me but I can live with it lol! So looks like I will get an iPhone!
yes, I did through the web.
a couple thing you need to know is... you can only get accidental plan within 30 days of your iPhone purchase.
Although, they won't ask you for your receipt and your phone's serial number, you will need the receipt when you make a claim. (that's how they identify the serial number on receipt and the broken iPhone you send them are exactly same.

oh, and good thing about square trade, is although you get sub-price for your iPhone they cover it as $399/$499 for it.

Please confirm yourself with all the information I just mentioned on the website or talk to them.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
does bb allow open software like the G1?

If it hasn't already, I think this will be a reason for the G1 to overtake the iPhone. IMO, iPhone/iTunes is like AOL for internet users. They try to keep you inside their little community and control what you get and can have. Overtime we see how that worked out for AOL. Right now, iPhone is so popular that developers are clamoring to develop new stuff so it works out. But once the open market hits its stride the gloves will be off and Steve will have to outdo himself to keep pace.

If Storm is like the G1 in this respect then I think +1 in the Storm department for now.

Tech progresses so quickly... It's funny how we argue about who's best when in 6 months to a year the "best" might just now be hitting the market.

Good or bad we no longer live in a world where you buy something and "keep it for life".

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
have you seen the G1 in person? I think that thing is horrible.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
have you seen the G1 in person? I think that thing is horrible.
true true... what something looks like and what it can do are 2 different things.

Right now it would take a lot for me to give up my iPhone. To me, anything with a slide out keyboard is wasted space and weight.

For me to get another phone it would have to be head and shoulders above anything else out there. Right now I just don't see it.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Initial exchange setup.
My company does not want people with iPhones connecting to our exchange server for push and sync, only Blackberrys. They don't care if you connect via remote email, which does not sync or push. You can connect that way with any desktop, laptop, or iPhone. They won't give out the specific info you would need to connect via iPhone. The Blackberry has the ability to connect with sync and push whether they like it or not. If you are not on the BES, you can just put your email info in and it will connect via BIS. This is because Blackbery has it's own servers which take care of this instead of the iPhone just connecting like any other computer.
If your IT dept is more cooperative, I don't think iPhone exchange email is inferior, in fact possibly superior in the fact that since it doesn't have it's own servers, it wouldn't be at risk of losing service when their servers go down, and they have a mass email disruption in a given area like the west coast, or something like that.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Initial exchange setup.
My company does not want people with iPhones connecting to our exchange server for push and sync, only Blackberrys. They don't care if you connect via remote email, which does not sync or push. You can connect that way with any desktop, laptop, or iPhone. They won't give out the specific info you would need to connect via iPhone. The Blackberry has the ability to connect with sync and push whether they like it or not. If you are not on the BES, you can just put your email info in and it will connect via BIS. This is because Blackbery has it's own servers which take care of this instead of the iPhone just connecting like any other computer.
If your IT dept is more cooperative, I don't think iPhone exchange email is inferior, in fact possibly superior in the fact that since it doesn't have it's own servers, it wouldn't be at risk of losing service when their servers go down, and they have a mass email disruption in a given area like the west coast, or something like that.
Plus, if your exchange server goes down for any reason or your BB loses connectivity to it then you have to log back into your BIS account and re-validate the account. Not a huge deal but still a pain none the less.

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
Thanks, these comments have been helpful. My company admin will allow me to stay on the corp BES. I know they support Active Sync for those users with Motorola Q phone (not very good solution IMO). I just need to confirm they will grant me access. Thanks for the heads up.

Mar 1, 2008
thanks nobopyon! I haven't gotten my iPhone yet when I do I ill def. be getting squaretrade insurance for it!

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
thanks nobopyon! I haven't gotten my iPhone yet when I do I ill def. be getting squaretrade insurance for it!
you are very welcome, glad to help.
There is thread about iPhone insurance quite sometime ago, if you want more info or what people think of Squaretrade , maybe you can search about it...

From what I remember, depends on which state you live, state farm also offer iPhone insurance much cheaper and include lost and stolen, too.
I know, Texas doesn't.

tonedef56

Dec 11, 2008
Since I have had the iPhone no other phone has caught my eye until the BB Storm but I still can't see my self switching right now. I am still loving my 3g.

And for those of you that don't like the txt message preview, there is a way in settings to turn it off.
Still haven't figured out how to turn off the preview care to enlighten me please.. thanks

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
All you folks thinking about the Storm, I just dropped my Pearl for the iPhone and while the Storm is nice, you'll NEVER have the multimedia function that the iPhone offers on the BB. Being able to sync everything from pics to vids to music AND podcasts and play all of them without much hassle is amazing on the iPhone. Shoot...there's not even a way to easily get video podcasts on any BB now and but one crappy app for audio podcasts. Be happy with what you got...seriously!