blackberry storm vs iPhone

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
All you folks thinking about the Storm, I just dropped my Pearl for the iPhone and while the Storm is nice, you'll NEVER have the multimedia function that the iPhone offers on the BB. Being able to sync everything from pics to vids to music AND podcasts and play all of them without much hassle is amazing on the iPhone. Shoot...there's not even a way to easily get video podcasts on any BB now and but one crappy app for audio podcasts. Be happy with what you got...seriously!
I totally agree!
I don't even know if Storm support multi-langauges?

Crates

Dec 10, 2008
I a very torn between the two! What turns me off is the way Verizon has dealt eih the whole selling of the storm! I have also seen soo many posts about how bad everyone's storms are! There's a new os but more problems along with them! I love the app store from Apple and that makes me want the iPhone more! What turns me off of the iPhone is that there is no device insurance on it! (Sorta scares me)! I have tmobile right now so my service is kinda choppy to say the least. So for me verizon or AT&T is a solution! I am just torn and have been doing my research and each day I sway back and forth! Decisions decisions lol!
I bought my iPhone from an O2 store and bought insurance. The first one I bought was faulty - Apple stores will sort or replace for you - in my case the O2 store just swapped it and now it all works just fine. If you really need all the trappings needed for a work 'phone, then BBry is good (although I'd steer clear of the Storm until they sort the software AND the hardware). Also, that click screen is (IMHO) dreadful - and I doubt it will last after a few months use. Check out the forums on the Storm - lots of problems. For me, I love the simplicity and user interface of the iPhone - just watched an episode of Top Gear on the way to work. It would have taken me a lot longer to attempt anything like that on the Storm. Each has merits - try them out.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I bought my iPhone from an O2 store and bought insurance. The first one I bought was faulty - Apple stores will sort or replace for you - in my case the O2 store just swapped it and now it all works just fine. If you really need all the trappings needed for a work 'phone, then BBry is good (although I'd steer clear of the Storm until they sort the software AND the hardware). Also, that click screen is (IMHO) dreadful - and I doubt it will last after a few months use. Check out the forums on the Storm - lots of problems. For me, I love the simplicity and user interface of the iPhone - just watched an episode of Top Gear on the way to work. It would have taken me a lot longer to attempt anything like that on the Storm. Each has merits - try them out.
This is a thing I have been thinking about recently....I have insurance for my first gen phone. I am a devil for misplaceing my phones but have been extremely careful with my iPhone. I don't really like the form factor of the iPhone 3G and wanted to know if I ever lost or damaged my first gen phone would they replace it with a 1st gen. I really don't want the plastic fantastic 3G (sorry guys and gals just personal taste). Has this ever happen to anyone or does someone out there know the answer

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
you are very welcome, glad to help.
There is thread about iPhone insurance quite sometime ago, if you want more info or what people think of Squaretrade , maybe you can search about it...

From what I remember, depends on which state you live, state farm also offer iPhone insurance much cheaper and include lost and stolen, too.
I know, Texas doesn't.
I am in Georgia and have an electronics rider through USAA for $8.00 a year. That cover all my electroincs including the iPhone. Call your insurance company to see what they offer.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
Initial exchange setup.
My company does not want people with iPhones connecting to our exchange server for push and sync, only Blackberrys. They don't care if you connect via remote email, which does not sync or push. You can connect that way with any desktop, laptop, or iPhone. They won't give out the specific info you would need to connect via iPhone. The Blackberry has the ability to connect with sync and push whether they like it or not. If you are not on the BES, you can just put your email info in and it will connect via BIS. This is because Blackbery has it's own servers which take care of this instead of the iPhone just connecting like any other computer.
If your IT dept is more cooperative, I don't think iPhone exchange email is inferior, in fact possibly superior in the fact that since it doesn't have it's own servers, it wouldn't be at risk of losing service when their servers go down, and they have a mass email disruption in a given area like the west coast, or something like that.
If your company as a outlook.xxxxxxx.com site you can access your outollok information that way and the information is pushed (email, calendar, contacts) and you are not relying on the company BES or BIS for your wirelessly synched information. For me I get my outlook information as fast, if not faster, than the guys in thr offices with their BB's

01blur6

Dec 15, 2008
If you are switching from the iPhone to the Storm.....go ahead. We'll see you back in two weeks or less. I just came from the Storm and wow. One problem after another. And it wasn't only the software. I am sure they will fix that. But the hardware problems with the click and dust getting between the lcd and the top glass are not going to get better with time. If they got that bad after my two weeks of use, just imagine after 52 or 104 weeks.

Mar 1, 2008
I know this is off topic, but I am still on the fence.. I just want to know where some other ppl have their iPhones insured? It seems places ppl suggested like state farm etc. don't answer me, or if they do they are telling me no! Thanks guys for all your help! I have heard a lot of bad things lately from storm owners on the web and some good and bad things about the iPhone... Like I said in a previous post the app store and web keeps me wanting it.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
My iPhone has created so many problems between my GF and I (no MMS among other things) she said she'd pay my early termination fee, put me on her businesss account and pay for a Blackberry Storm if I dumped AT&T and went back to Verizon. Is it worth it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am in Georgia and have an electronics rider through USAA for $8.00 a year. That cover all my electroincs including the iPhone. Call your insurance company to see what they offer.
This is good to know. I'm with USAA and wow, that's cheap. I'm going to call them tomorrow...

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Psylichon,

I have USAA as well....if you purchased your iPhone via their World Card the warranty is automatically extended by another year. So in my case, the original 3G warranty expires at 1 year...USAA extends it (if purchased by the World Card) by another year. Give them a call and they will explain it to you. I did just that when considering the Apple extended warranty and did not get it because I am covered by USAA.

Just a thought...

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
My iPhone has created so many problems between my GF and I (no MMS among other things) she said she'd pay my early termination fee, put me on her businesss account and pay for a Blackberry Storm if I dumped AT&T and went back to Verizon. Is it worth it?
owning both devices, you may be disappointed with the build quality of the storm.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
owning both devices, you may be disappointed with the build quality of the storm.
I don't know what to do now, my GF just called and said she purchased the Storm and it's going to be shipped out on the 12/19 and I should have it on 12/20. Every review that I have read about the Storm has said it's been a big disappointment. I went as far as joining a Storm forum and read nothing but negative feedback from it's members. I may rag on this iPhone more than most but I just cant see going from an iPhone to a Storm.

Im predicting a major blow out at Tug's house tonight and Tug himself will more than likely be sleeping on the couch.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Sometimes its just nosey people watching you while you're using your phone, or if you're showing them something. Happens to me all the time. I too wish it worked how BlackBerry's work and it didn't pop up.

You can change that by going to settings on the iPhone. So next time some one texts you you will still get a pop up but it will only display the word text and the only way to know who sent it and/or what was said you must open the SMS app. So next time get your facts right before you make a jackass out of you and me :p

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Just a thought...............
Why don't you just go along with it "temporarily", act like you have an open mind (which you actually should anyway). Little by little, bring up what bugs you about it, and hopefully in a short while, you might convince her and get away with reversing the situation. It probably won't be "free", but it might be better than all out war. In all out war, someone could lose an eye, or worse :(

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Just a thought...............
Why don't you just go along with it "temporarily", act like you have an open mind (which you actually should anyway). Little by little, bring up what bugs you about it, and hopefully in a short while, you might convince her and get away with reversing the situation. It probably won't be "free", but it might be better than all out war. In all out war, someone could lose an eye, or worse :(
Thanks for the advice lksn, I told her how I felt and she completely understood, what I might do is go to Verizon tomorrow and see what my options are.

Thanks again

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You can change that by going to settings on the iPhone. So next time some one texts you you will still get a pop up but it will only display the word text and the only way to know who sent it and/or what was said you must open the SMS app. So next time get your facts right before you make a jackass out of you and me :p
Actually, I know the facts very well, FYI.

I am aware you can do this, but that requires setting a passcode lock, which I don't want to do. And also, that's not really my point. I meant popping up in general.

Dec 15, 2008
Here it comes again, I prefer iPhone, But BB it's ok too.
:p