BlackBerry to iPhone?

energie

Sep 13, 2008
Have any of you made the transition? Do you miss your BB? My contract ends in about 2 weeks and I'm considering the 16GB iPhone opposed to the Bold to change things up. Just don't know if I'll be able to get used to texting without a physical keyboard.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I made the transition to the iPhone from a BB Pearl. Do I miss it? Hellz no. I love my iPhone to death. Sure, copy and paste was nice to have, but the iPhone beats it in every other category hands down IMO. As for the virtual keyword, I actually prefer it to a physical one now.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
My biggest fear going from a physical keyboard to iPhone was the typing. I can honestly say, for me, once you get used to the touchpad there's nothing faster. There's a short tutorial on it somewhere on the web watch it because it helps.

There's things that you'll miss though going from BB to iP. MMS messaging... voice dialing... etc. But overall I can say it has way more functionality. The apps are blowing up the scene too. It's a great phone... but not for everyone.

I have the 16GB 3G (upgraded from the 8GB v1) and I've had next to no issues... unlike some others.

YMMV...

brooke03

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis, Tennessee
I swore by Blackberry for years until I picked up this wonderous little device a couple of weeks ago.

You won't regret it.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I swore by Blackberry for years until I picked up this wonderous little device a couple of weeks ago.

You won't regret it.
Hey, Brooke, has anyone told you you're kind of Palin-esque? Which is a compliment, by the way. :laugh2:

Back to the topic...

If you're making the switch from BB to iPhone, I would research all the functions you're giving up first. Before I invested in an iPhone, I researched all the pros and cons about it so when I actually got it there were no surprises and my iPhone has served me very well.

With that said, someday down the line we should be getting system-wide cut & paste, turn-by-turn voice navigation and push notifications for all apps.

And then I think the options are limited only to Apple's whims.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I recently swapped my curve for a first gen iPhone and haven't looked back.

There are somethings I miss that the curve did that the iPhone doesn't but the things the iPhone does do over the curve make the switch worth it

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
I was a die hard BB user. To the point that I would get into arguments with my husband (he had the ipheon before me) over which was better.

There is a lot more functionality on the iPhone than the bb. Emails are about 5seconds slower on the iPhone than the BB. There is better hacking ability and actual controlability.

You wont miss the BB....

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was a die hard BB user. To the point that I would get into arguments with my husband (he had the ipheon before me) over which was better.

There is a lot more functionality on the iPhone than the bb. Emails are about 5seconds slower on the iPhone than the BB. There is better hacking ability and actual controlability.

You wont miss the BB....
So, you got an iPhone now?

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I had two Blackberries over a little more than two years. I swore by them as they were such a giant leap over anything else I had ever had.
The iPhone is the next step up, and you WILL get used to texting without a physical keyboard!
Just do it, you'll be happy you did.

tgeekb

Aug 4, 2008
I, like many others, had BB before my iPhone 3G. They are excellent at what they do and, while we don't have copy/paste, MMS, there is no comparison between the two. When I pick up my BB now it seems so old fashioned. Love the iPhone!

Marty Mar

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Cortland Ohio
tgeekb said it best.

I loved my BB and I still miss the BB messenger, I don't look back though.

energie

Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for all the input - definitely set on getting the iPhone.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I made the switch from the Verizon 8330 Curve to the iPhone 3G 16 Gig Model. I do miss copy & paste from the BB, and BB Messenger. I also miss Viigo a lot and the fact that it would keep viigo and bb messenger running in the background. However, the iPhone 3G is so much better than everything else it is silly. I love the iPhone 3G far more than my former Blackberry. It's a great phone and device, while you may miss some of the features of your blackberry, the iPhone in the end will definitely win you over.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I miss true push mail without paying a yearly fee for it.

You could always wait and get the BB Storm, that should be out sometime in November.

@jsntrenkler:

You could always use net news wire app. I miss Viigo too, I was in the beta for the new release and it was looking good.

Sep 6, 2008
I'm just going to say I agree with what everyone else has said so far because they're pretty much spot on with how I feel too. I'm coming from the Blackberry Curve which I absolutely loved and now I have the 3g (which you can tell from my name I'm completely in love with) and I miss things about my BlackBerry but you couldn't pay me to get rid of my iPhone. The iPhone experience just can't be matched with any other phone. The only people you'll really hear complaining about the functions that the iPhone can't perform are people who DON'T have iPhones because those who do are the only ones who know how much it does have to offer.

Everyone is a little different with what they want or need out of their phones but if you make the switch I can't imagine that you would regret it.

hjd73

Sep 27, 2008
Toronto
I spent considerable time looking at a new Blackberry Bold (they have them here in Canada) and the iPhone 3g. I had an iPod Touch and a Blackberry 8830. I have been using Blackberry's for 6 years and have considerable Mac experience. Tough choice.

My considerations:

email - Blackberry
It's live, quick, sortable, searchable and does not kill battery power

Battery power - Blackberry (no question and no explanation necessary). I have been to a couple of speeches by Mike Lazaridis (one of the founders of RIM). He almost always talks about battery power. Actually very interesting. RIM excels at this.

Screen - actually a toss up.
They are the same logical resolution 480x320, but different physical sizes. The Blackberry is clearer but tougher for those of us over 40 to read. I did like that the widescreen mode on the Blackberry Bold could be seen while holding the device upright. I don't like having to hold my iPhone (oops, gave away the ending) on its side to watch some things.

Applications - iPhone (in a cakewalk)
Fantastic applications and great distribution syste.m (if you ignore some of the initial glitches)

Music - iPhone
Works better - no surprise
And frankly, Genius has reconnected me with much of my music I had not heard for a long while. In some ways this alone makes the iPhone the better choice.

Web Browsing - iPhone
Although the Blackberry is quite fast because it downloads less information.

Accessories - Blackberry
Still annoys me the way Apple forces people to new chargers etc. A royal pain we all tend to put up with.

Applications like the following: - iPhone
Shazam
Midomi
AroundMe
Stanza
Blomberg
Wurdle
Art Gallery
GoSkyWatch (wow)
X-Plane
Ashphalt4
EccoNote Pro
Election '08
Photogene
Movies
Dizzy Bee

Keyboard - Toss up
Yo get used to what you got. I think people underestimate the capabilty of the predictive text in the iPhone. And frankly, if Apple is smart they will buy the company that produced Writing Pad and use this as an alternative (or primary) input method. It is spectacular.

Security - Blackberry

GPS - iPhone
Oddly enough I was a bit concerned about the iPhone GPS. It is not as powerful or as accurate (I think) as the Blackberry, but it tends to work in more places becase of its connection with the cellular network. It works inside, which my Blackberry GPS on my 8830 did not.

Copy and Paste (shame on you Apple)

Only one application open at a time (double shame on you Apple)

The joy of using a beautifully designed Apple product - iPhone

Service - Blackberry.
If one more Apple Genius says "cool" when I tell them about a problem, I think I will have an aneurism. They should be a little more sensitive to the fact that I look like their Dad.

Any specific questions, you should be able to PM me.

H.

M

mushroom-eater

Nice post. Keep it up.