BlackJack + iPod -> iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
Hey guys,

here my story. I have a blackjack and a 40 Gb iPod (with video and stuff) and I use both everyday.
I am thinking of selling both of them and getting an iPhone? Any cons/pros? I've seen some of you say that it is not a good idea to use it as an iPod, why so?

Also, ideally I would like to unlock it. As I understand once I unlock it (if it has 1.0.2 software version I'll have to downgrade it to unloackable version) I can use it with any carrier, which is good =) However, once it gets unlocked does that mean that I cannot install any software updates from Apple, right? Also, what about any other software not necessarily from Apple? So once it is unlocked I should not install any software on it. In case I want to - will need to reset the phone and install latest software version.

Please clarify.

Thanks

=)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys,

here my story. I have a blackjack and a 40 Gb iPod (with video and stuff) and I use both everyday.
I am thinking of selling both of them and getting an iPhone? Any cons/pros? I've seen some of you say that it is not a good idea to use it as an iPod, why so?

Also, ideally I would like to unlock it. As I understand once I unlock it (if it has 1.0.2 software version I'll have to downgrade it to unloackable version) I can use it with any carrier, which is good =) However, once it gets unlocked does that mean that I cannot install any software updates from Apple, right? Also, what about any other software not necessarily from Apple? So once it is unlocked I should not install any software on it. In case I want to - will need to reset the phone and install latest software version.

Please clarify.

Thanks

=)
Whoa someone who has actually done their homework! Nicely.

I also owned a blackjack prior to getting the iPhone and I have to say that the iPhone outshines the blackjack in every way possible. The only thing that
the blackjack had and the iPhone didn't was 3G. Not much of a thing to make it in any way better. The web browsing abilities of the iPhone completely trump the blackjack and is awesome to use. The UI for every aspect of the iPhone is awesome and unsurmountable as of yet in the cell phone market. The iPod feature is great especially with the widescreen videos and it holds a decent amount of music (at least until there is a 16gb model or more :laugh2:).

Now onto your concerns. You are correct in the fact that you will NOT be able to update to 1.1.1 or any other later firmware because of the fact that your iPhone will be unlocked and it would most likely BRICK as a result of updating, unless by then there is a workaround to the update. With 1.0.2 you are in no way limited to what you want to do with the iPhone with the use of iBrickr or nullriver that allow you to use 3rd party apps, which ROCK!

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
Whoa someone who has actually done their homework! Nicely.

I also owned a blackjack prior to getting the iPhone and I have to say that the iPhone outshines the blackjack in every way possible. The only thing that
the blackjack had and the iPhone didn't was 3G. Not much of a thing to make it in any way better. The web browsing abilities of the iPhone completely trump the blackjack and is awesome to use. The UI for every aspect of the iPhone is awesome and unsurmountable as of yet in the cell phone market. The iPod feature is great especially with the widescreen videos and it holds a decent amount of music (at least until there is a 16gb model or more :laugh2:).

Now onto your concerns. You are correct in the fact that you will NOT be able to update to 1.1.1 or any other later firmware because of the fact that your iPhone will be unlocked and it would most likely BRICK as a result of updating, unless by then there is a workaround to the update. With 1.0.2 you are in no way limited to what you want to do with the iPhone with the use of iBrickr or nullriver that allow you to use 3rd party apps, which ROCK!
Thanks for explanation. But I am still not clear.

1. Is iPhone is a good substitute for an iPod?

2. So once the phone gets unlocked that is it - no more software updates or new installation or even reverting everything back to original software that it came with?

3. So with 1.0.2 I can use iBrickr or nullriver to get any app installed but it has to be a locked phone?

Please clarify again =)

Thanks!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for explanation. But I am still not clear.

2. So once the phone gets unlocked that is it - no more software updates or new installation or even reverting everything back to original software that it came with?

3. So with 1.0.2 I can use iBrickr or nullriver to get any app installed but it has to be a locked phone?

Please clarify again =)

Thanks!
1. The iPhone is absolutely a great replacement for the iPod. The only issue you might have is with storage space because you have to remember it's only 8gb and not 30 like your old iPod. But I can't complain about the iPod feature at all because it is really awesome, especially with Coverflow and the videos.
2. You will still be able to revert to the original software of your choice, but you just won't be able to update through iTunes unless they come out with a software fix for it first. So that is a bit of a bummer but modding it is better than the updates usually anyway.
3. You can use iBrickr and App Tap on a locked or unlocked iPhone which is good but once again, you just can't use the updates via iTunes. You can add all of the 3rd party apps you want.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
1. The iPhone is absolutely a great replacement for the iPod. The only issue you might have is with storage space because you have to remember it's only 8gb and not 30 like your old iPod. But I can't complain about the iPod feature at all because it is really awesome, especially with Coverflow and the videos.
2. You will still be able to revert to the original software of your choice, but you just won't be able to update through iTunes unless they come out with a software fix for it first. So that is a bit of a bummer but modding it is better than the updates usually anyway.
3. You can use iBrickr and App Tap on a locked or unlocked iPhone which is good but once again, you just can't use the updates via iTunes. You can add all of the 3rd party apps you want.
Excellent reply! Thank you.
Looks like unlocking is a way to go.

What about updates via iTunes, are those usefull in any case?
just a bug fixing and improvements to existing software, I guess. If so than I do not need updates.

Lastly, if I get an 8Gb iPhone very likely it will come with 1.0.2 software. So, how hard is it to downgrade it to 1.0.1 and unlock it. Is there a good guide?

Thanks.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida

Thanks!
Sure-Depends on what you use the ipod for. I still use my 1st GEN 2gig at the gym. It is fine and holds more than enough songs to work out to and it is really light so it does not bother me.

I also do not want to sweat all over my shiny beautiful iPhone. :laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Excellent reply! Thank you.
Looks like unlocking is a way to go.

What about updates via iTunes, are those usefull in any case?
just a bug fixing and improvements to existing software, I guess. If so than I do not need updates.

Lastly, if I get an 8Gb iPhone very likely it will come with 1.0.2 software. So, how hard is it to downgrade it to 1.0.1 and unlock it. Is there a good guide?

Thanks.
I haven't found the updates to be particularly useful aside from making it harder for people to jailbreak the iPhone and small, not always helpful, "add ons" like for the iPod feature you can now just push the Home button twice and it will automatically take you to the iPod, not worthy of losing my 3rd party applications for. If you buy your 8gb soon then it will hopefully (and most likely) come with the 1.0.2 software or earlier. You only need to downgrade if it comes with 1.1.1, you can mod away with anything 1.0.2 and earlier. If you are running 1.1.1 then there is a thread in the Modifications (or it might be Software) sub-forums that has several detailed methods of down-grading.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
I haven't found the updates to be particularly useful aside from making it harder for people to jailbreak the iPhone and small, not always helpful, "add ons" like for the iPod feature you can now just push the Home button twice and it will automatically take you to the iPod, not worthy of losing my 3rd party applications for. If you buy your 8gb soon then it will hopefully (and most likely) come with the 1.0.2 software or earlier. You only need to downgrade if it comes with 1.1.1, you can mod away with anything 1.0.2 and earlier. If you are running 1.1.1 then there is a thread in the Modifications (or it might be Software) sub-forums that has several detailed methods of down-grading.
Thanks a lot to all of you. Now I am clear on things =)
I might be back here with more questions if I get one.
I just with this thing was cheaper and plans as well...

other than that the phone looks amazing (at least when I had a look at it for the first time yesterday)

Cheers

=)

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks a lot to all of you. Now I am clear on things =)
I might be back here with more questions if I get one.
I just with this thing was cheaper and plans as well...

other than that the phone looks amazing (at least when I had a look at it for the first time yesterday)

Cheers

=)
yes buddy i really suggests going the iPhone route, sure it wont have nearly the capacity your 40 gig ipod does but u can do what i do and sync 8 gigs of music/movies u want to listen to and eliminate what u don't listen to often and continue to switch things up, especially with videos.

This sites going to be a great tool for knowledge when u get your iPhone.

One of the main reasons i bought into an iPhone was because of the internet plans costs, i was paying 39.99 a month for unlimited internet on the blackjack where im saving 20 a month now with the iPhone, for MUCH BETTER internet. sure its not 3g but more than often im on wifi anyway, besides even on edge, the speeds are pretty decent and the browsing abilities cannot be outdone.

The movies look amazing and through Installer and iBrickr, between sketches, NES and ApolloIM.. they leave me enough reason to choose the iPhone over any phone, plus any new updates =)

Good Luck with your decisions and let us know how u fair

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
yes buddy i really suggests going the iPhone route, sure it wont have nearly the capacity your 40 gig ipod does but u can do what i do and sync 8 gigs of music/movies u want to listen to and eliminate what u don't listen to often and continue to switch things up, especially with videos.

This sites going to be a great tool for knowledge when u get your iPhone.

One of the main reasons i bought into an iPhone was because of the internet plans costs, i was paying 39.99 a month for unlimited internet on the blackjack where im saving 20 a month now with the iPhone, for MUCH BETTER internet. sure its not 3g but more than often im on wifi anyway, besides even on edge, the speeds are pretty decent and the browsing abilities cannot be outdone.

The movies look amazing and through Installer and iBrickr, between sketches, NES and ApolloIM.. they leave me enough reason to choose the iPhone over any phone, plus any new updates =)

Good Luck with your decisions and let us know how u fair

where do you guys get movies and videos (besides youtube)?
8Gb I think should be plenty for me.
yes, data plan and service will come up to about 70 dollars a month, ouch.

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
well many people get their movies from many different places..

i myself rip all my dvd's to m4v / mp4 with Handbrake (free for Windows or Mac)

and they compress to about 500 megabytes with the settings i use and play great

plenty of posts and threads about this, so most of your questions can be answered around here

im glad to share any knowledge i can if u got questions

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I am a huge music lover. I bought my first Ipod about 5 years ago when nobody even knew what the hell it was.

With that said, you will be very happy with the Ipod on this phone. It's beautiful and works perfectly.

Like others have said though, you can only fit so many songs on it, if you're going to be putting movies , podcasts, etc...

I have 800 songs on mine as well as a movie and 6 tv show episodes. Plus some room left over.

Enjoy

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I am a huge music lover. I bought my first Ipod about 5 years ago when nobody even knew what the hell it was.

With that said, you will be very happy with the Ipod on this phone. It's beautiful and works perfectly.

Like others have said though, you can only fit so many songs on it, if you're going to be putting movies , podcasts, etc...

I have 800 songs on mine as well as a movie and 6 tv show episodes. Plus some room left over.

Enjoy

Whoa that's almost the exact same setup I've got on mine. 800ish songs, Billy Madison, and 4 episodes of South Park. Oh yeah and about 700 pictures or so.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
Whoa that's almost the exact same setup I've got on mine. 800ish songs, Billy Madison, and 4 episodes of South Park. Oh yeah and about 700 pictures or so.

wll my ipod holds almost 3000 songs and some pics and i still have lots of space left =) anyway iPhone is a grate toy a bit expensive though...

Oct 6, 2007
Waukesha WI
Hey guys,

Please clarify.

Thanks

=)

I sold my Blackjack and my Ipod :) I'll never own a Windows Mobile device again :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
why do you guys needs such a big capacity?
People have said the 1.1.1 phones are already in Apple stores. Make sure you get a 1.0.2 iPhone or you are screwed on the unlocking. You can revert 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 for third party Apps but not unlocking. Reverting to 1.0.2 from 1.1.1 does not change the firmware (baseband) to the previous version. You thereforee will not be able to unlock until 1.1.1 is Hacked. So MAKE SURE the phone you buy is 1.0.2...M