Blank bubble when sending/receiving messages

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Liz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Liz

Liz New Member

I have iOS 8.1.3 and whenever I send/receive a picture,video, or audio message it turns in to a little blank bubble. I can go to details and see it in attachments but never in the conversation itself. Sometimes nothing will show up altogether and just the comment they added to the message shows up but whatever they sent shows up in attachments. It was happening when I had iOS 8.1.2 and continued even when I updated to iOS 8.1.3. It's been like this for a good 3-4 months and I've tried everything. Restarting it, restoring and backing it up, turning iMessage on and off. I don't think there's any setting that does this so I don't know what else to do. I've checked countless forums and no one has the same problem as me.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It seems that ever since iOS 8, there's been several messages issues. Some are because of using 3rd party keyboards. Some have no rhyme or reason. Regardless, most of these issues don't seem to have a permanent fix. I've seen a few others with your problem. A quick fix might be to delete the messages app in the app switcher. That seems to work with a lot of other issues. But it's temporary. Try the usual iMessage fix.
    1. Delete the thread that has the issue.
    2. Toggle off iMessage
    3. Sign out of iMessage
    4. Do a hard reset. Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
    5. Sign back in to iMessage
    6. Toggle iMessage back on
    That may or may not work. Report back and let us know how it does.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Delete all third party keyboards and test it. If it continues without them or you aren't using any third party keyboards, I would try restoring to factory settings since you have already done all of the other troubleshooting steps.

4. Liz

Liz New Member

I tried that and nothing has changed :( Thanks for your help though!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify, this problem occurs after you restore to factory settings (not from backup)?

6. Liz

Liz New Member

I did everything you said but anything I do seems to make no difference. Hopefully they'll have a solution if I bring it to the Apple Store. Thanks for everything!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify, this problem occurs after you restore to factory settings (not from backup) and you do not use any third party keyboards, correct?

The only other thing the Apple Store can do is give you a replacement phone. This sounds like a software problem.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There's others with this problem. So it's not one phone specific. I think it's software too. But a fix is no where to be found.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Doesn't make sense that a restore to factory settings wouldn't fix it.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That should work. But I get the feeling there's another fix not yet found. But maybe not.

11. Liz

Liz New Member

I don't recall factory resetting it before it happened. It kind of just started doing this out of no where. I just updated my phone now to iOS 8.1.3 although it told me it was already updated to that version.

12. Liz

Liz New Member

I know, nothing works. Also, I slipped on ice and the whole screen shattered and turned black so I had to bring it to the Verizon store to repair the screen. As soon as I started using it, my phone began to open random apps, scroll, and press things without me even touching the screen so I now have that problem too. Do you think there's any solutions?

13. Liz

Liz New Member

Oh okay, good. I thought I was the only one.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would restore it to factory settings. Be sure not to use your backup. It needs to be set up from scratch.
    The restore to factory settings might resolve this as well. You're just going to be spinning your wheels until you try it. If it doesn't fix it, you would need to take it to Apple and get a replacement. The drop or repair may have damaged it internally.

15. Liz

Liz New Member

Yeah, I think my best bet is to just take it to Apple and let them try to fix both issues. Thanks for all your help!

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you aren't going to restore it to factory settings first? You should always do that first with problems of this sort. It's standard troubleshooting.

I strongly recommed doing this before taking it to Apple.

17. Liz

Liz New Member

Yes, I'll do that before I bring it :)

18. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Same thing happened to my daughter's phone and only fix was to restore as new not from a backup. Basically the iMessage data is corrupt not the app, you may be able to restore with an old backup and may fix it. In my daughter's case that was not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk