Blast from the Past: PDA Deals at Amazon

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Did a post about these this morning, because it's big-time nostalgia for me: http://www.247tablets.com/general/blast-from-the-past-pda-deals-at-amazon/

Dell Axim X51V.jpg

Seeing these also kinda reminds me of some of Louis CK's stuff about how ungrateful we are these days. Moaning about the lack of this feature or that supposedly underpowered spec detail on our devices. The I look at the specs of a Dell Axim X51V, which was a flat-out beast of a mobile device less than 10 years ago and how far, far away they are from current smartphone specs.

Any other PDA lovers here?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I was an HP fan myself, but my first PDA love was my Palm V

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I was hot stuff in 2005 with music and Google Maps on my phone, I'll tell ya.

10081595.9cb455ccdebc6684513966a8a971eb47.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was behind the times until I got an iPhone in 2008. I was content with a simple flip phone. That's part of the reason I was so blown away by the 3G's features.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I remember talking everyone I knew out of the iPhone because "my 2-yr-old phone can do everything it can do and more". I was technically right for the most part. But at the same time, so very wrong. First time I used an iPhone I changed my tune.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I was made fun of when I first showed everyone my first gen. iPhone. People made fun of me for spending that much money on a "phone", I was ridiculed only to have all those same people now using iPhones. They must feel foolish for making fun of me now.........or maybe not lol :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was made fun of when I first showed everyone my first gen. iPhone. People made fun of me for spending that much money on a "phone", I was ridiculed only to have all those same people now using iPhones. They must feel foolish for making fun of me now.........or maybe not lol :D
I had the opposite reaction with mine. Most people here are on Verizon and many of them said they'd get one as soon as Verizon got it. I remember being the only person at work who had an iPhone. I got my first one on the 3G launch day. Now nearly everyone has one. Many of them had Androids for years but switched to Apple at some point. A couple of them jokingly call me "tech support." :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I had the opposite reaction with mine. Most people here are on Verizon and many of them said they'd get one as soon as Verizon got it. I remember being the only person at work who had an iPhone. I got my first one on the 3G launch day. Now nearly everyone has one. Many of them had Androids for years but switched to Apple at some point. A couple of them jokingly call me "tech support." :)
Was your first a 3G? That may have been the reason for the differences in reaction. By the time the 3G came out, most people were already past the initial reaction and price shock of the 2G. Was the 3G subsidized?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Was your first a 3G? That may have been the reason for the differences in reaction. By the time the 3G came out, most people were already past the initial reaction and price shock of the 2G. Was the 3G subsidized?
Yep. I wish I could say I've had every iPhone, but I didn't get the 2G. Mostly because I didn't know how awesome it was and because it wasn't available on Sprint. I remember *almost* buying an Instint on Sprint. Then I saw my brother open Google maps on his 2G in the spring of '08 and I was instantly sold on it. But I decided to wait for the 3G since there were good indications it would soon be available.

Yeah, the 3G was subsidized. Everyone was eligible since the 2G wasn't.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I got my 2G at the price drop to $400. Wifey came on board when refurbed 8GBs went for $250. And you still had to sign a 2-yr contract for those prices!