Blue tooth stereo working?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Was on the phone with a friend with my jawbone and was messing with the ipod and it started playing through the ear piece? This has never worked before for me. Is this new?

Edit: just tried it again, it only plays when you have someone on the line, when no is on it doesn't play through

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Was on the phone with a friend with my jawbone and was messing with the ipod and it started playing through the ear piece? This has never worked before for me. Is this new?
yes it's new. You're the only one this ever worked for... Can you replicate it?

May 12, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me with a pair of motorola s805's.
I took a phone call on them and after I hung up the music came back on through the headset for about 5 seconds and then went out.
I could never get it to happen again.
It has been speculated that bluetooth stereo is on the iPhone but Apple is blocking it for some reason.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
yes it's new. You're the only one this ever worked for... Can you replicate it?

Yes seriously try it when you are on a call..it works..but not when you are not on a call..i am serious just try it call someone while your on it play the ipod player

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Well its working everytime i have tried it tonight in the past 30 minutes, with my jawbone. Only thing is it only works when i am on a call which kinda sucks

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
i hope this means full stereo blue tooth support is coming. I wonder if it has always been able to do this or if its new?

megaphore

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
the jawbone is mono is it not? stereo would usually equate to left and right channels = you would need earbuds or speakers in both ears. I could be wrong and I hope I am because bluetooth stereo would be great.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
It's still not stereo bluetooth, only mono going through your headset. If you had a real stereo bluetooth headset on, it would most likely just play mono through both speakers.

Not to say you are wrong about the initial music over bluetooth, but Apple has not implemented the A2DP profile for the iPhone yet.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Well i don't know didly swat about ad2dp or r2d2, or c3p0 and all that technical info. I just know when i was talking to one of my friends last night i played the ipod music and heard it in my left ear where my jawbone was. I asked them if they could hear the music and they said no. I repeated it several times last night and this morning. I was excited and just wanted to share with the forum

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
HOLY COW!
It totally works with my stereo bluetooth headphones! I still need to confirm if it's in stereo or the mono channel is playing in both ears. I wonder if some hacker can exploit this "feature."

The quality is really much worse than my normal wired headphones though.

Freaking awesome find anyway. I nominate neo for the nobel iPhone prize. This is one of the most important things to me. I hate the wire. LOL. And I just yesterday ordered a $50 A2DP iPod adapter that's supposed to work with the iPhone.

EDIT: Well, I can confirm that it is indeed mono playing in both ears. Blast. It also cuts out a lot. I hear that's normal with stereo bluetooth, but I thought my headphones being Class 1 headphones would help. Obviously the iPhone is a Class 2 device and the bluetooth signal it's sending is really intended for voice. I'll have to compare this to the signal from the A2DP adapter I'll have in a week.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Big-time difference between regular Bluetooth to a headset and A2DP.

Don't wanna confuse anyone but essentially a typical Bluetooth voice connection (e.g., Headset Profile) uses 64 kbps second uncompressed audio. Do NOT confuse this with a 64 kbps MP3. It has far, far, less fidelity. This is why SmartAlx earlier noted that the sound quality was so poor. It was poor because it was not using A2DP--it was just using the regular headset link (it was still mono, but played to both speakers in that scenario).

Since Bluetooth doesn't really have the bandwidth to send high quality uncompressed stereo audio what it does is compress audio on-the-fly. A stereo BT headset decodes it on the fly. This allows much less bandwidth to be used, much like how MP3s consume much less space than their WAV equivalents.

Without A2DP I could understand why Apple wouldn't want to allow music to be sent to BT: it would lead to a lot of complaints about poor fidelity. That said it would be nice to give the user a choice (I might want to use it, say, for voice-only podcasts without needing a wired headset or funky A2DP adapter).

I certainly hope A2DP can be added. It's mostly just a software thing, and the iPhone seems to have the horsepower to compress music on-the-fly. My hope is that Apple held off since A2DP is not (generally) as compatible as the Headset Profile, for instance. Perhaps they didn't want to deal with complaints about that, or perhaps it just wasn't possible do get it done in time for release. Here's to hoping it is added soon...

--
Mike

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
HOLY COW!
It totally works with my stereo bluetooth headphones! I still need to confirm if it's in stereo or the mono channel is playing in both ears. I wonder if some hacker can exploit this "feature."

The quality is really much worse than my normal wired headphones though.

Freaking awesome find anyway. I nominate neo for the nobel iPhone prize. This is one of the most important things to me. I hate the wire. LOL. And I just yesterday ordered a $50 A2DP iPod adapter that's supposed to work with the iPhone.

EDIT: Well, I can confirm that it is indeed mono playing in both ears. Blast. It also cuts out a lot. I hear that's normal with stereo bluetooth, but I thought my headphones being Class 1 headphones would help. Obviously the iPhone is a Class 2 device and the bluetooth signal it's sending is really intended for voice. I'll have to compare this to the signal from the A2DP adapter I'll have in a week.
I'm also looking for an adapter for the iPhone so I can play it over my car BT headunit. My old one from Scosche does not work on the iPhone, only ipod. I was also looking at the Cerulean BT transmitter, that doesn't need to be recharged because it uses the ipod for power. Their website is ambiguous about whether it is compatible with the iPhone though.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I'm also looking for an adapter for the iPhone so I can play it over my car BT headunit. My old one from Scosche does not work on the iPhone, only ipod. I was also looking at the Cerulean BT transmitter, that doesn't need to be recharged because it uses the ipod for power. Their website is ambiguous about whether it is compatible with the iPhone though.
I Just received the Jabra A125S it's designed for the IPOD
and it work with the iPhone
I paired that with a Motorola S9 Bluetooth Headphone
and now I can say my iPhone has A2dp " kind of"
I can use the function on my headset Pause/play/ff/rw...
and the sound quality is great
And when a phone call is in The S9 pick-up the call
( S9 is paired with the iPhone)
And time to time I loose connection this still not the perfect solution but it works most of the time

Aug 5, 2007
You don't need Jawbone or anything...

I don't even know what Jawbone is... but I got my music to play through my iPhone with absolutely no exploits.. here's how to replicate...

1. Pair you bluetooh

2. Make sure that its connected ( the bluetooth symbol is lit in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone interface)

3. Start Playing the music you'd like to listen to

4. Press HOME and then navigate to Visual Voice mail

5. In Visual Voicemail on the top right side there's an audio button allowing you to select iPhone, Speakerphone, or your bluetooth head set...

6. Select your bluetooth headset and voila! You're listening to the audio through your bluetooth!

I'm pretty sure this is mono, and unfortunately the music still continues to play through your iPhone's external speaker or earbuds ( whichever is connected ) Still thought it was pretty cool... I can see support added easily with a software update.

Impetuous

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I Just received the Jabra A125S it's designed for the IPOD
and it work with the iPhone
I paired that with a Motorola S9 Bluetooth Headphone
and now I can say my iPhone has A2dp " kind of"
I can use the function on my headset Pause/play/ff/rw...
and the sound quality is great
And when a phone call is in The S9 pick-up the call
( S9 is paired with the iPhone)
And time to time I loose connection this still not the perfect solution but it works most of the time
I have a pair of s9's and they don't work with music on the iPhone.
I also have a pair of moto s805's same thing.
I used The impetusones method and it works, but on the s805 it is in mono in both ears and on the s9 it is mono in one ear. Either way the sound was horrible.
Is there some sort of method you were using to pair the s9 where you could use the avrcp function as well as hear stereo?

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I don't even know what Jawbone is... but I got my music to play through my iPhone with absolutely no exploits.. here's how to replicate...

1. Pair you bluetooh

2. Make sure that its connected ( the bluetooth symbol is lit in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone interface)

3. Start Playing the music you'd like to listen to

4. Press HOME and then navigate to Visual Voice mail

5. In Visual Voicemail on the top right side there's an audio button allowing you to select iPhone, Speakerphone, or your bluetooth head set...

6. Select your bluetooth headset and voila! You're listening to the audio through your bluetooth!

I'm pretty sure this is mono, and unfortunately the music still continues to play through your iPhone's external speaker or earbuds ( whichever is connected ) Still thought it was pretty cool... I can see support added easily with a software update.

Impetuous
This works for me as well. The only thing is it also plays through the iPhone speakers at the same time..

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
The Cerulean BT transmitter works with iPhone. I paired it with my car headunit to listen to music via BT 2.0 and it sounds great.