Bluetooth connection iPad 2 and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbenmore, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jbenmore

jbenmore New Member

Hi. I just bought iPad 2 today wifi only. My iPhone is jail broken and I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can connect the two so that the 3G of the iPhone can be used on the iPad. I've tried connecting them via Bluetooth but says not supported. Any advice? Thank!

2. balisongflipper

Bronze

I think you are looking for miwi app from the Cydia app store.
    Don't quote me, but I believe it a one time 20$ charge for the app.

3. jbenmore

jbenmore New Member

Ok, so I can't connect the two together with Bluetooth then, regardless of whether I wanted to use the 3G?

4. Chex

Chex Member

Yes , MyWi can do it. I don't know if Att's paid plan does Bluetooth.

5. jbenmore

jbenmore New Member

Do I need to have mywi on both devices as I can't jb the iPad 2 yet.

6. Silent Assassin

Gold

You only need MyWi on the iPhone to use it's 3G on your iPad..

I believe that's what you're trying to do, right? Get on the internet on your iPad, using your iPhones 3G?

it's called 'tethering'

7. Silent Assassin

Gold

MyWi is in Cydia.. it's $19.99 (a one time fee) and it's worth EVERY penny...

from there, y ou set up a network (like you would a home wifi network).. it's fairly simple..

once you get your iPhone network set up, use your iPads wifi (Settings/Wifi) to get on to your iPhones Network...

once on, you should be able to surf the web freely on your iPad...

8. jbenmore

jbenmore New Member

Yes! That's exactly what I want! Do you know how I can do it?

9. Silent Assassin

Gold

I explained it in my last post, but if you need more in depth instructions, let us know..

10. jbenmore

jbenmore New Member

Yep all done thanks!,

11. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

There is a new upgrade ($5) in MiWi called OnDemand which allows intelligent Bluetooth connecting of iPad to iPhone. Without ever needing to open the MiWi app, iPad will connect to iPhone via Bluetooth (much less battery) whenever the iPad is unable to connect to a free wifi hotspot. thus allows you to have an "always online" iPad without sacrificing battery.

WARNING: there is one caviot I did not see before I purchased....both the iPad and the iPhone have to be jailbroken! Since iPad 2 cnnot be jail broken yet, I would reccomemd holding off on that feature until it is able to be jailbroken.

12. kiwee

kiwee Member
    Bronze

just an fyi, i was contemplating getting mywi for the last few days since i got my ipad 2, but after reading this post, i just went and got it. thanks guys.

13. Michael Baturin

Gold

Remember you have to jailbreak ipad2 and currently you cannot to tether via Bluetooth

14. kiwee

kiwee Member
    Bronze

oh snap! i thought you meant the tethering via bt. i thought corded tethering was okay. sorry, new to this stuff.

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just to clarify. To use MyWi, your iPhone has to be jailbroken; you're iPad does not. Once activated on your iPhone MyWi will show up in your iPad WiFi Settings just like any other WiFi access point.

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Not true! I tethered my virgin iPad 2 to my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth and it worked just fine. You can do it via MyWi or via official AT&T tethering.

Michael

17. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

To clarify further :) you can also tether via Bluetooth. This is a (crude!) video I shot with my iPhone to show how a WiFi only iPad 2 "appears" to be using the iPhone 4's GPS when in fact it is actually using WiFi for location services.

Michael

18. Michael Baturin

Gold

Woh Woh Woh. Tethering Bluetooth from iPad 2 to iPhone 4 from what I have read on MyWi's website is not available unless the iPad is running MyWi as well. I have tried to connect my jailbroken iPhone 4 to my virgin iPad 2 via bluetooth and it never works.

I am specifically looking to use the onDemand feature which clearly shows the need for both iPhone 4 and iPad 2 to be jailbroken here:

How are you creating a stable and fast tethering connection between these via bluetooth without iPad being jailbroken?

19. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

What would the advantage be to Bluetooth v. WiFi?

Tried that same thing last week on road trip from CA to WA. Acceptable for amusement but nothing I would rely on.

20. Michael Baturin

Gold

A stable tether via Bluetooth uses much less battery and is thus an advantage. Additionally MyWi has created an OnDemand feature which as I stated in an earlier post, will automatically determine when you are not connected to a regular Wifi network, and intelligently tether via bluetooth for you. Using this technology, your iPad will always be online everywhere you go (as long as you have your iPhone with you).