Bluetooth - Cutting In and Out

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by beezee05, Dec 13, 2011.

1. beezee05

beezee05 New Member

Hi All,
    I've searched pretty extensively but really haven't stumbled upon any other people with blue tooth issues. I hope this isn't a well known problem.
    Only recently, in the past 2 weeks or so, my 2 Motorola blue tooth devices cut out the moment I put my phone in my pocket. I don't think it's related to iOS 5. I'm pretty sure it's been fine since.
    I've re-paired but to no avail.
    Are there any other trouble shooting tricks anyone can recommend?

Thanks, Brian

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

IMO Bluetooth capabilities is not one of the shining features of the iPhone. There is much published about weak iPhone Bluetooth signal. Personally I have had mixed experiences on all 4 iPhones and the results seem to change depending on conditions.

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Reset network settings.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a well known problem. I dealt with frequent disconnects and garbled/muffled audio the entire time I had an iPhone 4. The muffling can be temporarily fixed (for about 15 minutes) by toggling the audio source from Bluetooth to speaker phone and back to Bluetooth, but it doesn't work if you're going to put it in your pocket. Nothing can fix that. I just learned to accept that I had to hold the phone when walking and using BT. The muffling can be decreased, but not eliminated, by rebooting every day and resetting all settings every month. Repairing and resetting network settings didn't fix it. I used four different headsets with the 4 and the problem occurred on all of them. It's the iPhone, not the headset. Apple never acknowledged it, but you can find multiple threads on the Apple support forum that are very long.

Thankfully, the 4S doesn't experience this. It's still far from perfect with BT headsets, though. The RF interference problem on the 4S is far, far worse than it was on the 4. This might be due to Bluetooth 4.0; I'm not sure. I've found that I can minimize the popping and crackling on the 4S by toggling WiFi off on the phone while talking on Bluetooth. I've tested it with four different Bluetooth headsets, different WiFi networks, and three 4S' and it's the same thing. It sucks to have to have to toggle WiFi off and use 3G when talking on the phone, but it's better than being earboarded.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

My bad. I was thinking of you when I said, reset network settings.

Some beautiful quotables you left there but a complete 180 from context isn't my style ;)

So, so tempted though, I must admit :)

And the natural thing to point out is that, if the thing is too big to fit in your pocket then problem solved [ducks]

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What I meant by that was the there are a large amont of threads on the issue, but Apple didn't admit that it was a problem that they were working on, nor did they ever fix it.

The garbling/muffled audio can be temporarily avoided by following those steps, but the problem will still occur when you put it in your pocket. I was never able to find anything that would stop the audio I was sending out from distorting when the phone was in my pocket. My caller would immediately say that I sounded muffled when I did this. It went away when I took it out of my pocket and held it. I was also able to tell if the person I was talking to put their iPhone 4 in their pocket.

Or just upgrade to a 4S. I can put the 4S in my pocket and talk on Bluetooth. I only had that problem with the 4.

7. beezee05

beezee05 New Member

Thanks everyone.
    I'll try resetting network settings. For me though it seems to be ok when on wi-fi not perfect but ok. As soon as I'm on 3G it's not usable.
    Upgrading to 4S at this time not an option - unless Santa is very very good to me. ;)

8. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

ok I will try toggling wifi off next time I use it. I haven't had any problems with loosing calls but there is the interference issues I have recently put the iPhone in the lifeproof case, which I think made the problem worse but have only had the Bluetooth for about 3 days now.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it's an outgoing call you can usually eliminate it altogether if you toggle WiFi off before dialing.

10. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

ok I will try that.

11. lawtyger

lawtyger New Member

I've had the complete opposite experience. My iPhone 4 Bluetooth worked flawless on my Acura TL's BT, my Plantronics BT headset and my wife's Blue Ant BT. BUT, all three sound garbled on and off with my iPhone 4S. The garbling comes and goes throughout the entire call. It really is disappointing and frustrating.

Took the 4S to the app store and told them all the troubling shooting I had done and thought they would look at it and fix the problem but they just brought out a brand new 4S and swapped it out. Great I thought, EXCEPT the new one does the exact same thing. Went back to the app store and the tech said he didn't know why it is happening but said it could be that my 4S runs iOS and the iPhone 4 (which my wife uses WITHOUT any issues in he same Acura TL) is running 4.3.3. Get this, his suggestion was for us to upgrade the iPhone 4 to iOS 5.0.1 and see if the iPhone 4 would be garbled too. The look my wife gave him was priceless - she was like WTF? She made sure he knew we didn't want two garbled iPhones just to test his his theory.

I've pretty much given up on hoping my BT will get fixed but if anyone has any ideas to help me out I would love to hear them. There is definitely an issue with the 4S and bluetooth on some phones like mine. This is the first time I've wished I didn't own an iPhone.