Bluetooth for what...?

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
This may sound ridiculous, but I can't find an answer after hours of scouring the net.

If I were to use an FM transmitter in my car with the iPhone, couldn't I hear the caller on the car speakers and then communicate through the mic on the iPhone like normal?

If so, then what purpose do the FM transmitter/bluetooth combo docks serve in a car?

If not then do you need to a have bluetooth capable car/stereo to use those combo kits?

I hope that was clear! I ANXIOUSLY await some enlightenment! Thanks!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Bluetooth is digital, and will give you much better quality (no interference, dropouts, etc). Also, with an FM transmitter, anyone else in your area can pickup the signal and listen. Bluteooth is secure.

and, yes, in order to use, it you need a bluetooth headset or receiver.

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
Bluetooth is digital, and will give you much better quality (no interference, dropouts, etc). Also, with an FM transmitter, anyone else in your area can pickup the signal and listen. Bluteooth is secure.

and, yes, in order to use, it you need a bluetooth headset or receiver.

Wow, thanks for the quick response.

So, you CAN use the FM Transmitter for phone calls, but it isn't secure nor is it good quality (at least not BT quality). One would definitely need a car with a BT receiver in order to use a BT capable fm transmitter combo thingy.

And I would assume that the iPhone would detect the headphone jack BT connection and thereforee override the FM transmission automatically bypassing the aforementioned issues?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i haven't tried calls with an FM transmitter, but theoretically it should work. The other problem with that is you may get feedback from the iPhone mic picking up the car speakers.

i'm not sure what would happen if you use an FM transmitter and bluetooth together..,

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
i haven't tried calls with an FM transmitter, but theoretically it should work. The other problem with that is you may get feedback from the iPhone mic picking up the car speakers.

i'm not sure what would happen if you use an FM transmitter and bluetooth together..,

Interesting, thanks again!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Depends on the FM transmitter (headphone jack or dock). You can't take a phone call through the dock. Secondly, if you were to use a headphone jack transmitter, the party on the other line wouldn't hear you because it will deactivate the mic (it assumes you are using the headphone/mic combo that came with the phone. I suggest not using an FM transmitter to avoid these problems.