Bluetooth GPS Receiver on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hksmr2

Sep 20, 2007
Folks,

Quick or Dumb question! I have a bluetooth GPS receiver and is wondering if I can use the bluetooth gps receiver with the GPS map that came with the iPhone, and if so will it work real time, I use to have a cingular 8525. Let me know. Thanks

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Folks,

Quick or Dumb question! I have a bluetooth GPS receiver and is wondering if I can use the bluetooth gps receiver with the GPS map that came with the iPhone, and if so will it work real time, I use to have a cingular 8525. Let me know. Thanks
Nope. At this time the iPhone's bluetooth will only connect to audio devices, headsets (not stereo ones), car stereo's etc.

There is no A2DP support.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You know I've been wondering to myself. If the iPhone runs a stripped down version of OS X I wonder if we can't find some part to enable at least the serial output from the GPS receiver over bluetooth. I imagine it's got to be there somewhere. Once we have that, feeding that in to a program is a cake walk.

hksmr2

Sep 20, 2007
Nope. At this time the iPhone's bluetooth will only connect to audio devices, headsets (not stereo ones), car stereo's etc.

There is no A2DP support.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to carry 2 phones, the cingular 8525 for GPS and iPhone. Damn that sucks.

hksmr2

Sep 20, 2007
Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to carry 2 phones, the cingular 8525 for GPS and iPhone. Damn that sucks.
I hear you Termleech. I'm so surprise that Apple left that out, but again, not because if they add that to it then no room for improvement for peeps to get the new iPhones. I'm pretty sure the new iPhone will have built in GPS or enables gps receivers. Then we just have to wait.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If you decide to mod your iPhone there is a new app that just came out that will place your current location in the google map app on the iPhone. Then you just need to tell it our destination. I got lost Monday night in downtown tampa leaving the hockey game and it worked like a charm.

Navicon.

Since it is new it is still kinda spotting, but it has great potential.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
If you decide to mod your iPhone there is a new app that just came out that will place your current location in the google map app on the iPhone. Then you just need to tell it our destination. I got lost Monday night in downtown tampa leaving the hockey game and it worked like a charm.

Navicon.

yes, the only problem is this is not true GPS. It's based on triangulation between cell towers, but it's still better than nothing.

If I have some time I'd like to start getting in to app development, maybe I'll try and tackle GPS over bluetooth as my first task.

hksmr2

Sep 20, 2007

Navicon.

420Greg where you get this software can you give me the name and where u got it., my phone is modded, I gos NES Rom and is on Tmobile network. So the map is working on the AT&T Edge network rite, so if I have no data plan the map is useless to me rite? Thanks again