Bluetooth handsfree headset for the iPhone

nishant_81

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Hello,

Can anyone please suggest a good bluetooth handsfree for the iPhone? I had a motorola one earlier but it doesn't work as well and the sound volume is not that great.....!

Thanks!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You definitely have some options out there. Many people will recommend the Jawbone, but I love my Apple BT headset. Personally, I would go hunt for reviews and see which one rates the best out there and then go from there picking which style you want, size, etc.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
The Jawbone is an excellent choice if you don't mind its size. I use one on my work phone and it works flawlessly

The one i use with my iPhone is a Motorola H12 and i love it its smaller fits well and is noise canceling and is about the same price as the jawbone. The battery on it is awesome too i charge mine once or twice a week depending on usage

I previously had a Motorola H700 and it was all but useless with the iPhone. It constantly disconnected itself from the phone and would have to be paired again

May 5, 2008
Hello,

Can anyone please suggest a good bluetooth handsfree for the iPhone? I had a motorola one earlier but it doesn't work as well and the sound volume is not that great.....!

Thanks!

If you plan on streaming your iPod through the stereo, you should check out the Parrot MK6100
@www.safewireless.com. With a Bluetooth Adapter that supports the A2DP profile, you can stream your iPod wirelessly through your cars stereo speakers. Mutes the radio on incoming and outgoing calls, 1000 contact capacity, 150 voice tags for your contacts, OLED display, it even has a wireless controller where you can control the iPod's sound volume, play, fw, rw, stop--all wirelessly. This is the next big thing, most people still don't know about this and are still connecting the ipod cable. With the MK6100, you can stream any music/audio source via Bluetooth, iPod, iPhone, and generic MP3 player with a Bluetooth adapter, and a cell phone with MP3/Bluetooth support. This is the ultimate hands free setup, if you are not interested in streaming music wirelessly, the other car kits, CK3000, CK3100, and CK3200 work flawlessly with the iPod and iPhone. Check out www.safewireless.com for our special bundle pricing. There is a FREE shipping code expiration 5-10-08 "iPhonehf"

May 5, 2008
Bluetooth Earpieces have an average life of 300 charges!

You definitely have some options out there. Many people will recommend the Jawbone, but I love my Apple BT headset. Personally, I would go hunt for reviews and see which one rates the best out there and then go from there picking which style you want, size, etc.
Here is a list of disadvantages that the earpiece manufacturers and resellers don't want you to know about: * Nearly all Bluetooth earpieces have an internal battery that can't be removed. These batteries have a short life of approximately 300 charges, or approximately one earpiece per year (less if you recharge every day). And prices range from $20-$300, averaging about $50. * The earpiece can't be used while it is charging. * The earpieces don't fit everyone comfortably. One size definitely doesn't fit all; yet you cannot try the earpiece before you buy. * The earpieces are uncomfortable for those who wear glasses or sunglasses. * For reasons of hygiene, the earpieces should not be shared. * Earpieces are easily lost, stolen, or broken. * Bluetooth headsets, on average, last just 26 hours when not in use and only 2 to 3 hours when talking. * The life of the battery starts to decline once you begin to use it, hence the talk time and standby time decreases. * Many users purchase more than one Bluetooth earpiece, then finally give up and buy an integrated Bluetooth car kit. * Potential harmful effects from radiation through the earpiece. * Most people find the earpieces uncomfortable and ugly, and/or experience lousy audio quality. * Many people will buy the earpiece believing it is more cost effective, ultimately they end up buying an integrated car kit because they just find it cumbersome to use.

www.safewireless.com

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here is a list of disadvantages that the earpiece manufacturers and resellers don't want you to know about: * Nearly all Bluetooth earpieces have an internal battery that can't be removed. These batteries have a short life of approximately 300 charges, or approximately one earpiece per year (less if you recharge every day). And prices range from $20-$300, averaging about $50. * The earpiece can't be used while it is charging. * The earpieces don't fit everyone comfortably. One size definitely doesn't fit all; yet you cannot try the earpiece before you buy. * The earpieces are uncomfortable for those who wear glasses or sunglasses. * For reasons of hygiene, the earpieces should not be shared. * Earpieces are easily lost, stolen, or broken. * Bluetooth headsets, on average, last just 26 hours when not in use and only 2 to 3 hours when talking. * The life of the battery starts to decline once you begin to use it, hence the talk time and standby time decreases. * Many users purchase more than one Bluetooth earpiece, then finally give up and buy an integrated Bluetooth car kit. * Potential harmful effects from radiation through the earpiece. * Most people find the earpieces uncomfortable and ugly, and/or experience lousy audio quality. * Many people will buy the earpiece believing it is more cost effective, ultimately they end up buying an integrated car kit because they just find it cumbersome to use.

www.safewireless.com
Wow, very good points! And I think that I have experienced just about all of them - with the exception of going to a car kit. I'll use my wired kit before getting a BT car kit.
I have a Nokia HS-W8 and so far it's been the strongest and clearest headset I have ever had. The most comfortable is the Apple BT with a foam pad over the "speaker" part. I can easily forget I have it in.
In a nutshell though, everything you pointed out is a concern for anyone looking to purchase or has a BT headset. Personally, I only use mine when I am driving, with 1 touch dialing. Otherwise, I'll call the person when I get to my destination.

May 5, 2008
Wow, very good points! And I think that I have experienced just about all of them - with the exception of going to a car kit. I'll use my wired kit before getting a BT car kit.
I have a Nokia HS-W8 and so far it's been the strongest and clearest headset I have ever had. The most comfortable is the Apple BT with a foam pad over the "speaker" part. I can easily forget I have it in.
In a nutshell though, everything you pointed out is a concern for anyone looking to purchase or has a BT headset. Personally, I only use mine when I am driving, with 1 touch dialing. Otherwise, I'll call the person when I get to my destination.
.................................................................................................................................................................................
Drivers everywhere will eventually have no choice to use some sort of HF device, the bluetooth earpiece seemingly is the most logical choice since it is easy and "affordable", but if they are clear about all of the undisclosed pitfalls, they may make another choice. The other "next" solution people look at is the clip on visor units from Blue Ant, Parrot, Jabra, Motorola and a host of Taiwan built clones-off brands, although some are better than others, there are some not so obvious downsides to those units as well. The glaring problem with these units and I mean all of them is that the sound quality is not nearly as robust as a good integrated if not great car kit like the Parrot units. Consistent call quality day after day is just not there, I know because I have tried them all, the glowing reviews you read about any of the portable HF devices are primarily coming from short term testers and people who don't use the phone for businesss calls. That being said, there is a place for these units, but when you are a power cell phone user on the phone a couple of hours a day, I will not settle for anything but the best. Consider this; the average cost difference between a good clip on HF unit and a Parrot car kit and harness installed is about $200, now $200 may sound like a enough of a difference to sway ones decision until you start to analyze it and realize that, 1. you will keep your car for the next 4 years.
2.The HF unit will increase the value of your car.
3. You use the phone for important calls, businesss or otherwise. 4.You do not ever want to worry about charging the portable HF unit. 5.You don't ever want to worry about the unit being easily stolen from your car. 6. You want the best HF quality on every call with all of the useful numerous-extra adavantages the intergated/installed Parrot car kit proivdes.
7.A much cleaner solution (Do you want the constantly blinking blue light emanating from your BlueAnt HF unit attached to your visor with a magnet)?

The portable HF units have a place in the market, but they are for the casual user on the minimum minutes plan, not for the moderate to heavy user. $200 difference may seem like a lot until you look under the covers and realize that it's about 4 tanks of gas difference.

For me, it's an easy choice, I will not settle for anything less tham a Parrot car kit, it's just NOT worth it for me, and maybe for a lot of others who understand all of the facts for HF devices.

I am betting that if the consumer understands the facts, less will buy the BT headsets and the portable units. I have never ever regretted buying and installing my Parrot car kits for my cars, and from the other Parrot car kit reviews- the same conclusion!

www.safewireless.com

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008
JAWBONE
I have a Jawbone that I use..(hang on, have to take a call with my Jawbone) ...everyday for several hours and it works perfect. It's VERY LOUD if you want it to be. It cancels out background noise perfectly. I tested this feature by making a call with my head next to a speaker blasting music. No music in the background, just a light "tap-tap-tap" noise that you could barely hear. Just note, like any headset it isn't windproof. It has great style, not too bulky, but the bulk is cool looking. Gotta get used to the talk button and the correct way of pressing it. Pinch the sides with your thumb and middle finger, holding it firmly, and use your index to press. (This is good because you never have to worry about making accidental calls while it's in your pocket. Just take off the ear-ring part of it) The battery life is really good. I work on the phone all day from one charge, with the noise cancellation feature on. Call quality is perfect on both ends. It actually sounds better for the listener on the other end with this than with your phone. It's around $120 but it's well work it. I can't wait til they come out with a new version (maybe a little bit slimmer like that limited edition version).

rmfnla

Bronze
I've heard nothing but negative about the Apple BT, which is too bad. If yours works for you good show.

I still use the Jabra BT250 I bought a few years ago and it works great. I prefer behind-the-ear designs (less wobble) and this one sounds great on both ends.

S

satishna108

Jabra BT250 is reliable.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
JAWBONE
I have a Jawbone that I use..(hang on, have to take a call with my Jawbone) ...everyday for several hours and it works perfect. It's VERY LOUD if you want it to be. It cancels out background noise perfectly. I tested this feature by making a call with my head next to a speaker blasting music. No music in the background, just a light "tap-tap-tap" noise that you could barely hear. Just note, like any headset it isn't windproof. It has great style, not too bulky, but the bulk is cool looking. Gotta get used to the talk button and the correct way of pressing it. Pinch the sides with your thumb and middle finger, holding it firmly, and use your index to press. (This is good because you never have to worry about making accidental calls while it's in your pocket. Just take off the ear-ring part of it) The battery life is really good. I work on the phone all day from one charge, with the noise cancellation feature on. Call quality is perfect on both ends. It actually sounds better for the listener on the other end with this than with your phone. It's around $120 but it's well work it. I can't wait til they come out with a new version (maybe a little bit slimmer like that limited edition version).
I too have a Jawbone. However, I have trouble getting my phone to recognize outgoing calls. Sometimes it shows up as an option, and other times the option is not there?

Any suggestions?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Has anyone tried or know anyone who has used the Blueant Supertooth 3 speaker phone (advertised at the top of these pages)