Bluetooth Headset Problems on the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Europa, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm hearing popping sounds in my Bluetooth headset on my iPhone 4S during phone calls. It sounds like popcorn popping or fireworks. Anyone else hearing sounds like these? I've tried two different Bluetooth headsets and I've reset my settings, but it's still there.

2. shugo

shugo Member
    Bronze

I get the same thing. Might be some rebounding from the Bluetooth 4.0 versus the 2.0 that our headsets support?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I talked to Jawbone yesterday and they had me do some troubleshooting and reset the Bluetooth headsets, but nothing helped. They mentioned that they have received a large number of tech support calls from iPhone 4S owners since Friday.

Does anyone else here have an iPhone 4S and a Bluetooth headset? I'm just wondering how common this crackling/popping sound is and if there are some people who aren't experiencing it.

I was able to temporarily fix the Bluetooth problems I experienced on the iPhone 4 by rebooting daily, resetting all iPhone settings every few weeks and toggling audio inputs as needed during phone calls when the other person said I sounded muffled/garbled. It was a hassle, but I rely on Bluetooth and frequent maintenance was better than using a using a wired headset so I was willing to do it. However, the problems I am currently experiencing on the iPhone 4S have no apparent temporary fix and Bluetooth sound artifacts are bad enough that it is currently unusable. Hopefully, there is a fix soon.

I just don't understand why it is so difficult for Apple to get Bluetooth working well on the newer iPhones. My older phones, including the 3GS, handled it just fine.

4. hplbiking

hplbiking Member

I have a Motorola s9 and have no problems with the sound. I use it all day at work streaming pandora and listening to my own music.

I will say yesterday I took a call from my truck. I hooked up a aux cable to my stereo. Anyway while on the call I heard a popping sound a few times. The call was short so I will need to try it again. B

5. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

My Jawbone Icon works great (so far). No popping that I've noticed.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks.
    Thanks for your input. Yeah, the more you talk on the phone, the more you'll notice this artifact. I use my Jawbones for phone calls for several hours a day so it's very apparent to me. There were times yesterday where I didn't hear it at all and most of the time is was actually quiet enough to be tolerable. Other times it was maddening and sounded like the grand finale at a fireworks show. Overall, it was much worse on Tuesday. I do not hear it at all when I am streaming music; it only happens during phone calls. I also hear it on VoIP calls (Skype) with Bluetooth.

7. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

My jawbone pops like that intermittently.
    Tom

8. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

my motorola S10-HD works great with my IP4S......no issues

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Europa: Just a thought, but could it possibly be interference from machines at work? I know medical machinery is / should be shielded, but just a thought. ...

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I can't believe you are having this problem again. I know it is the obvious, but have you tried other devices? Or Scott had a good point too. I use a Jabra spreakerphone in my car and it has been flawless - on both the 4 and 4S. You can't have that kind of luck - and I know you explored it extensively.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not just me; 4/6 people in this thread with a 4s and BT headset hear the popping.

I don't use Bluetooth at work. This is a happening at home, while driving, etc.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The Bluetooth problems that I experienced on iPhone 4 only occurred on my BT headsets. I have a BlueAnt SuperTooth 3 speakerphone for my car and it was fine last year. I honestly haven't even tested the BlueAnt with the iPhone 4S yet. I have two Jawbone headsets (Icon HD and ERA) and both are experiencing the same problem. I had a standard Jawbone Icon, Jawbone Prime, and a Platronics that all had the same problems last year. It's definitely the iPhone, not a certain Bluetooth headset.
    Roughly how much time have you guys spent talking on the phone with your Bluetooth headsets and the iPhone 4S?

13. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

depends...i used it for conference calls and for listening to music and watching movies on my 4S

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't experience the problem at all while listening to movies and music. It only occurs during phone calls.

15. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

hmmm...i maybe used it for 45 min to an hour on a call with me talking and listening and didn't notice anything........

16. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

At least 10-12 calls a day, not to mention giving Siri commands. I am going to reactivate a couple old BT headsets and see what I come up with.

17. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

5-6 calls a day. Lots of time sending and listening to texts with Siri.

Now I have a question. How are you listening to music over your headsets?

18. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

motorola S10-HD wireless bluetooth headset i can watch movies, take calls and listen to music.....

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use Bluetooth headsets that are A2DP-enabled.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify, this problem only occurs during phone calls so time spent listening to music, texts, Siri, etc. doesn't count.