Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Tug, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

A thousand apologies if I posted this on the wrong section, its been a long day of shoveling snow and Im beyond tired. Anyway, I just purchased an iPhone 5 and am looking for a new bluetooth headset, I'd prefer the ear bud type that actually go in the ear canal. I had the Voyager pro at one time but it didn't feel comfortable so in the closet it went with all my other useless headsets. Any advice on a good comfortable bluetooth that's compatible with the iPhone 5 would greatly be appreciated

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but Europa and I both love the Jawbone series. I have the Icon HD and like it very much.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry, I'm married to the plantronics voyager line so I can't help a lot. A couple of my friends swear by the jawbones. I just can't get the stupid things to stay in my ears.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, to be fair, Mindi and I both have custom earpieces from averysound.com. They're pricey but oh so comfortable.

5. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Those are very cool. And yes, very pricey. I'm looking at the Jawbone laying on my desk and wondering if it's worth it.

Did you get the version with glitter?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The custom earpieces from Averysound are worth every penny, especially if you use Bluetooth a lot. They are very comfortable and they also increase the maximum volume quite a bit. I prefer a black earpiece since it matches my Jawbone ICON HD very well.

7. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

Thanks for the replies, I checked out Avery Sound and had a pair of custom fit ear plugs at one time and they were the best investment I could have ever made but I just bought a truck so money is a little tight at the moment although because my ears are so jacked up a custom earpiece is exactly what I need. Anyway, I like to have my bluetooth fit so its partially going into the ear canal, Im currently wearing a Jawbone (not sure of the model) and it fits perfect and works just fine the problem is it has a design flaw and the button thats required to establish a new connection or to use SIRI I have to remove the cover from the unit and press down the button with my thumb nail. I like the design of the Plantronics Voyager line but I cant keep the ear piece in my ear regardless of what size of earbud I use

Europa, I was going to purchase the Jawbone Icon but from what I read it had mixed reviews, more negative than positive. Whats been your experience? Thanks again

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I really like Jawbones Bluetooth headsets. I've had several of them over the years and I prefer the ICON HD. I don't like the ERA because voice dialing will not work with A2DP turned off, and I prefer to disable it because music automatically blasts into my Bluetooth (even when I'm on phone calls) when I connect my phone to my car's USB port. I got tired of having to switch it back to dock every time, so I just disable A2DP instead. I tested it with a second ERA because I thought it might have just been mine, but it happened with the second one as well. I highly recommend the ICON HD.

9. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

Thanks for the info

10. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I just got the ERA. So far I like it. I don't experience your issue. Did you have music playing first, get a call, then the music came back on? Did you ever get to the root cause? I'm still in my return window. My wife has the icon hd and likes it.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. I was talking on the phone via Bluetooth. During the call I would get in the car and connect the phone to USB as I always do, so it could charge. As soon as I'd start the car, music would begin blasting through the headset making it impossible to hear the caller. The options were to change sources on the head unit or unlock the phone, open the iPod app, click on sources and switch from Bluetooth to dock. If I just changed sources on the head unit (since it's easier), I would have to do the other steps once the call ended or the music would play through the headset instead of the dock after the call when I switched back to USB. That isn't safe while driving, so you have no option but to complete the multiple steps on the phone while not being able hear the caller as soon as you start the engine. It should default to dock when in the car, but it doesn't. It should be programmed to know people won't want music to play through they Bluetooth while they are talking on the phone, but it doesn't.

Since it does these annoying things, I prefer to just disable A2DP altogether and prevent them. However, unlike the ICON, voice dialing does not work on the ERA with A2DP disabled. Also, if you're thinking why not just wait until after the phone call to connect to USB, it's because it just delays the inevitable. It will still default to Bluetooth after the call. There was one workaround, but it only worked if you weren't going to use Bluetooth again in the car. You could wait until after the call ended to connect to USB and then turn the headset off before connecting. That wasn't an option for me since I wanted to keep it on for imcoming calls and voice commands for music.

So A2DP is much more trouble than its worth if you use USB in the car and voice dialing doen't work if you disable it. This is why the ERA is useless to me.

Do you have a USB port in your car?

12. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

No I don't have a USB port. I had a 30-pin, but now on lightning. I do have Bluetooth in the car but it doesn't start music automatically.

Sorry you had issues. I don't expect to have your scenario. However, that's a great write up. I bet you spent some troubleshooting that.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I did troubleshoot it quite a bit and tested different headsets. I use Bluetooth a lot so it was important. I'm pretty happy with my ICON HDs, but the battery life isn't the greatest so I had to get a second one to alternate with. You won't have a problem with the ERA since you don't have USB in your car.