Bluetooth pairing iPhone 4S with iPad 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wllmsnjr

Jun 22, 2012
I screwed up. I had been pairing my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 successfuly, but then I hit "forget this device" on my phone, and now it won't "see" my iPad. How do I undo this? Also, I don't know where my "pass key or pin" might be.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Your iPad has to be in the Bluetooth settings menu for your iPhone to be able to see it (this turns on its "discoverable" mode). The PIN code would generally be displayed on the devices at the time you do the pairing.

Wllmsnjr

Jun 22, 2012
Your iPad has to be in the Bluetooth settings menu for your iPhone to be able to see it (this turns on its "discoverable" mode). The PIN code would generally be displayed on the devices at the time you do the pairing.
I have Bluetooth turned on on both my iPad and iPhone (using my settings menu). My iPad sees my phone, but my phone doesn't see my iPad, because I previously accidentally told my iPhone to "forget this device" (the iPad). I need to tell the phone to make my iPad discoverable again, but I don't know how to do it. In other words, my iPad is no longer in my iPhone's Bluetooth settings; how do I get it on the list again?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
So, your iPad is on the Bluetooth setup screen where it sees a list of devices, and you see your iPhone in the list. While it's in that screen, your iPhone still cannot find it?

By the way, this is the Personal Hotspot functionality, it's just that it happens over Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. Personal Hotspot needs to be turned on for this to work. If it is not turned on, they won't show up to each other. (e.g. I don't have Personal Hotspot because I'm on an "unlimited" data plan, and my iPhone and iPad do not see each other in the Bluetooth devices list)

What happens if you go to the Bluetooth screen on your iPad and tap the name of your iPhone to attempt to connect?

Wllmsnjr

Jun 22, 2012
So, your iPad is on the Bluetooth setup screen where it sees a list of devices, and you see your iPhone in the list. While it's in that screen, your iPhone still cannot find it?

By the way, this is the Personal Hotspot functionality, it's just that it happens over Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. Personal Hotspot needs to be turned on for this to work. If it is not turned on, they won't show up to each other. (e.g. I don't have Personal Hotspot because I'm on an "unlimited" data plan, and my iPhone and iPad do not see each other in the Bluetooth devices list)

What happens if you go to the Bluetooth screen on your iPad and tap the name of your iPhone to attempt to connect?
What you are saying is not quite right. Here's what's listed on my IPAD Bluetooth setup screen:
Plantronics earpiece
Joe's iPad
Here's what is on my iPhone Bluetooth setup screen:
Plantronics earpiece

When I select Joe's iPhone from the iPad screen, it says "Connection unsuccessful. Make sure Joe's iPhone is turned on and in range."

What I am trying to do is get my iPhone to once again list my iPad on the iPhone Bluetooth setup screen.

By the way, my phone is on an unlimited data plan, too. Since I don't have Internet access at work, I got the Personal Hotspot on my phone so that I could use it to to connect my iPad to the Internet. Yesterday, I THOUGHT I had hotspot turned off, and connected my iPad to the Internet through the Bluetooth pairings.

Thanks for your help, too!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, the hotspot feature has to be on for the pairing process to occur. Once you've cleared out a pairing by forgetting device, you need to re-pair. It looks like "Discoverable" mode is different in the hotspot menu than it is in the normal Bluetooth menu. So, the next thing I'd try is "Forget Device" from the iPad, and then while the iPhone is on the hotspot screen, hotspot is on, and it is saying "discoverable", do a new pairing process from the iPad. The devices will display a 6 digit code on screen, just confirm that the same code is displayed on both.

The iPad should then connect to it in the future, and automatically turn the iPhone's hotspot feature on whenever it needs it.

Last but not least, here's Apple's own troubleshooting page about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2756

Wish I had the hotspot feature, my 3G internet connection is faster than my work wired connection. At least until I reach 3 gigs and get throttled. Then it's a toss-up
wink2.gif