Bluetooth profiles

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by larryo108, Jan 2, 2013.

1. larryo108

larryo108 Member
    Bronze

Hi all:

I have an iPhone 4 that was running 5.1.1 jailbroken that I just recently updated to iOS6. Here is my issue.

When I was on 5.1.1, I could connect via bluetooth to my car stereo (aftermarket Pioneer unit) and regardless of what listening app I was using (Spotify, Pandora, Slacker, Tunein Radio, or iPod) I would get the track info on the screen and I would be able to play/pause/forward/rewind from the head unit. It would also automatically begin playing the active app when it was reconnected. It was pretty nice.

Since I updated to iOS6, I cannot do this with at least Spotify or Tunein Radio. I have not tried my other apps and have not had time to reload my music to my iPod app. Now I just get "No Data Provided" on the unit and I cannot control playback. I also lost the auto-play feature.

I don't know if this was an iOS 6 thing that broke it. Something I did that broke it. Or a function of the jailbreak (although I never installed any bluetooth related tweaks from Cydia) that broke it.

Does anyone else use their phone like this and do you have the same behavior as I do on iOS6? I did disconnect and re-pair the device and unit with no change in operation. If I had never had the features prior, it would not be a big deal. But to have it and then, lose it kind of sucks.

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Did you try a hard reset (hold power and home button together until the Apple symbol comes up)? iOS 6 did not change anything in Bluetooth functionality.

Sent using iCafe app

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There were in fact some Bluetooth changes in iOS 6. Sometimes these changes adversely affect Bluetooth connectivity. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is what happened in the OP's case. I'd also recommend a hard reset, though I doubt it will help here. Another possibility is that it's a Spotify update that did it.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Cool, I just didn't see any changes with my car's BT, I still get data to display on the head unit, but the OP's equipment may not support it with these changes?

Sent using iCafe app

5. larryo108

larryo108 Member
    Bronze

That's a bummer. I just tried a hard reset. Then tried all my streaming apps and nothing is working. I even tried the iPod app on my new iPad and that didn't work. And now that I think about it, my daughters iPad was behaving the same way on a recent trip.

I am bummed right now and need to do some more digging. Thanks for the help.

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I can stream music and control from the head unit mine is a JVC but its pretty new it's the media player deck without a CD player. I'm running iOS 6 no jailbreak.

I can even stream YouTube. I can play pause and skip pandora and if I connect with the cable I can do more with pandora.

Now with my deck pandora for Android can navigate playlists over Bluetooth but iPhones need to be connected with the cable to do that

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Exactly. Just like how both of Apple's Lightning adapters support charging and audio, but both don't always work with every accessory.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes makes sense.

Sent using iCafe app

9. larryo108

larryo108 Member
    Bronze

Thanks again for the replies. It sounds like the phone is fine and I need to do some digging on the deck. It is a refurbished Pioneer AVH2400BT. I can control Pandora the same way with a cable. Maybe the deck needs a software update. I am fairly certain it is the current model Pioneer.

I need to see if I can control everything via cable with my apps. Thanks again for all of the help.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Not a problem, I think you're looking in the right direction, I'd also suggest testing your phone with other equipment just to rule it out.

Sent using iCafe app

11. larryo108

larryo108 Member
    Bronze

Well I have done some reading and I am now more pissed than bummed. Apparently this is a known issue. There are many Pioneer customers having these issues because the Pioneer BT is using v1.3, while iOS6 is using v1.4. Supposedly Pioneer is aware of the issue and are working on a firmware update. Unfortunately, they have been "working" on it for over 3 months now.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The iPhone really doesn't play well with Bluetooth. I've experienced a mulitude of Bluetooth problems starting with the iPhone 4. The last iPhone and firmware that was capable of interacting with it beautifully was the 3GS on 3.x.

13. larryo108

larryo108 Member
    Bronze

Yeah. The real bummer is that it worked so well with 5.1.1. If it wasn't such a pain, I might consider downgrading to 5.1.1, but my previous jailbreak was getting unstable.