Bluetooth shortcut?

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
Hello all,
I just installed a handsfree kit in my car.
is there a shortcut that turns on Bluetooth?
Right now I have too much navigating to turn it on.
I don't like to to leave it enabled all the time.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If you're jailbroken, there are a few apps that will quickly toggle on / off services (incl. Bluetooth) for you - one is just called Services ...

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hello all,
I just installed a handsfree kit in my car.
is there a shortcut that turns on Bluetooth?
Right now I have too much navigating to turn it on.
I don't like to to leave it enabled all the time.
I'm with you, friend! Hopefully the next update will make this a little easier

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with UConnect. I leave my Bluetooth on 24/7 and charge my phone every night. Just couldn't see any sense in turning it continually on and off. My iPhone is basically the only phone I use day in and day out.

Really haven't seen that it affects my battery life enough to concern me. WiFi ..... different story.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with UConnect. I leave my Bluetooth on 24/7 and charge my phone every night. Just couldn't see any sense in turning it continually on and off. My iPhone is basically the only phone I use day in and day out.

Really haven't seen that it affects my battery life enough to concern me. WiFi ..... different story.
see...I find this weird.

It seems to me that wifi doesn't do anything while the phone is asleep, but bluetooth has to keep a constant connection. Because of my possible misunderstanding, I always shut bluetooth off, but never shut wifi off.

is there someone who can explain why, while sleeping, wifi would drain a battery faster than bluetooth?

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
I was wondering if there was a shortcut available to turn bluetooth on and off. I like to turn the bluetooth off when I'm not using a headset to preserve battery life. Right now you have to click through a couple menus. It would be great to have an icon on the desktop that when touched would turn BT on and off. Just would be quicker.

Thanks

67shelby

Jul 27, 2007
Bump. Looking for the same answer.....

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There's nothing for this unless your phone is jailbroken. Apple happily gives us a slew of battery-saving tips that involve frequently toggling off services like 3G, Bluetooth etc., then makes it clumsy and slow to get to where you can toggle those and does not allow 3rd party apps to fill the gap here.

Nice ...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There's nothing for this unless your phone is jailbroken. Apple happily gives us a slew of battery-saving tips that involve frequently toggling off services like 3G, Bluetooth etc., then makes it clumsy and slow to get to where you can toggle those and does not allow 3rd party apps to fill the gap here.

Nice ...
Yeah, especially having to open Bluetooth just to hit the on/off button, when they could have put it on the previous page in settings. Makes no sense.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yeah, especially having to open Bluetooth just to hit the on/off button, when they could have put it on the previous page in settings. Makes no sense.
Exactly. For all the many elegant and brilliant things about the iPhone UI, this is one inelegant and botched area. Wish they would just allow others to do this right.

I honestly find the jailbreak app I miss the most is BossPrefs, even more than Summerboard ...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Exactly. For all the many elegant and brilliant things about the iPhone UI, this is one inelegant and botched area. Wish they would just allow others to do this right.

I honestly find the jailbreak app I miss the most is BossPrefs, even more than Summerboard ...
I found that despite the apps available through the apps store, 2.0 was not worth it and I downgraded back to 1.1.4 jailbroken. After I jailbroke, synced my data back on and loaded all my programs that I used to have. Then I noticed that my baseband was still upgraded. But the phone works fine, so I am happy with everything.

One side note: the volume of my ear piece on 2.0 was horrible compared to 114.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow, glad that's working good for you Hawk. I will not be leaving 2.0 - the new features and wealth of apps are too much to forego for me, and I have faith that stability issues with these initial 2.0 builds will be conquered soon ...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I found that despite the apps available through the apps store, 2.0 was not worth it and I downgraded back to 1.1.4 jailbroken. After I jailbroke, synced my data back on and loaded all my programs that I used to have. Then I noticed that my baseband was still upgraded. But the phone works fine, so I am happy with everything.

are u suggesting that you have 2.0 but its JB?

sgrizzle

Jul 17, 2008

I think y'all expect a lot out of an OS version and application environment that is only 7 days old.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
are u suggesting that you have 2.0 but its JB?
No, I am saying that i downgraded back to 1.1.4 but my baseband stayed upgraded at 4.5.4 instead of 4.4.5

I think y'all expect a lot out of an OS version and application environment that is only 7 days old.
Not at all. The OS has been around for a year. The updates are new, but should be stable, with all the stringent testing and requirements Apple has.
My hacked phone sounds more stable (it's as solid as a rock) and has better battery usage than many people that have either updated to 2.0 or bought the new 3G phone based on the comments I have been seeing on here since the 12th.

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Is there any app that can put a shortcut on the springboard for Bluetooth on/off for 2.2.

I had an app called Services on my 1.1.4 which was really convenient but i don't think its compatible to 2.2.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
you should try SBSettings. it lets you turn it on/off right from anywhere, along with a lot of other cool features.

i use the Apple Congruency theme with it to make it look a lot nicer.

IMHO, sbsettings is a MUST have app

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
you should try SBSettings. it lets you turn it on/off right from anywhere, along with a lot of other cool features.

i use the Apple Congruency theme with it to make it look a lot nicer.

IMHO, sbsettings is a MUST have app

Agreed! SBSettings is definitely a must have. Especially if you toggle a lot of different things. They have toggles available for airplane mode, bluetooth, wifi, location services, SSH, Processes, 3G, Edge, Brightness etc.