BMW Problems

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Few weeks ago I had my alternator replaced, I was able to find a good deal on Bosch, 300 plus installation.
Few days later my car started turning off while driving, or if it was off it wouldn't turn on, no crank, nothing.
I noticed that everytime I open the hood of the car if I tried to turn on the car then my car would turn on just fine. So I'm thinking to my self, this is an electrical problem, I have to take it to the dealership, I'll pay more but at least I'll get it fixed the right way.

I went in, the guy right away when he took my car asked me how to turn it on, told him to open the hood and turn on the car, he laughed, went and did it and amazed looked at him as in "how the hell"
So anyway I'm thinking, good, it happened here , now they understand what's going on.

2 hours later I get a phone call by the dealership: you gonna need a new starter "ok" a new idle valve and a oil level sensor, that could also cause an electrical problem if it's not fixed (it's been broken for a while) so a total of $2,425
After arguing with them for few minutes I got it to drop it down to 1,950
"is this going to fix the problem?" I asked, "yes" the lady replied, ok go ahead then, I'm broke now but I don't have a choice here do I? "no, you're going to have this problem everyday if you don't fix that"

Picked up the car the day after and everything seemed to be working fine. This morning I went to drop the replacement iPhone that Apple sent me over at the FedEx store and when I get back in the car, again, the car doesn't turn on.
Everything went black in front of my eyes. I go outside and open the hood, and there you go again, the car turns on.
I called and talked to the lady again, she said to bring it in and no charges would be made to look at the car again, but no guarantee if anything needs to be fixed.
So at this point I'm shaking I'm so mad, the car was fine except the opening of the hood to turn it on, they replaced a started that wasn't even broken, an idle that seems to be exactly the same as before, low, and a oil sensor level that was broken, yes, but as long as I kept an eye on the oil level I was fine, that was also said to me by a BMW technician couple years ago.
Now I might get charged again, I'm seriously broke, I've spent 3000 in the last month in the car alone, I'm not part of that 1%, I'm
The average joe that works 64 hours a week to make a decent living. I just don't know what to say here, should I, can I, get a refund if they basically charged me for something I don't need? If there's anything that needs to be fixed now is it fair I should get charged again. I'm completely lost and pissed!

Aug 31, 2010
Few weeks ago I had my alternator replaced, I was able to find a good deal on Bosch, 300 plus installation.
Few days later my car started turning off while driving, or if it was off it wouldn't turn on, no crank, nothing.
I noticed that everytime I open the hood of the car if I tried to turn on the car then my car would turn on just fine. So I'm thinking to my self, this is an electrical problem, I have to take it to the dealership, I'll pay more but at least I'll get it fixed the right way.

I went in, the guy right away when he took my car asked me how to turn it on, told him to open the hood and turn on the car, he laughed, went and did it and amazed looked at him as in "how the hell"
So anyway I'm thinking, good, it happened here , now they understand what's going on.

2 hours later I get a phone call by the dealership: you gonna need a new starter "ok" a new idle valve and a oil level sensor, that could also cause an electrical problem if it's not fixed (it's been broken for a while) so a total of $2,425
"is this going to fix the problem?" I asked, "yes" the lady replied, ok go ahead then, I'm broke now but I don't have a choice here do I? "no, you're going to have this problem everyday if you don't fix that"

Picked up the car the day after and everything seemed to be working fine. This morning I went to drop the replacement iPhone that Apple sent me over at the FedEx store and when I get back in the car, again, the car doesn't turn on.
Everything went black in front of my eyes. I go outside and open the hood, and there you go again, the car turns on.
I called and talk to the lady again, she said to bring it in and no charges would be made to look at the car again, but no guarantee if anything needs to be fixed.
So at this point I'm shaking I'm so mad, the car was fine except the opening of the hood to turn it on, they replaced a started that wasn't even broken, a idle that seems to be exactly the same as before, low, and a oil sensor level that was broken, yes, but as long as I kept an eye on the oil level I was fine, that was so said to me by a BMW technician couple years ago.
Now I might get charged again, I'm seriously broke, I've spent 3000 in the last month in the car alone, I'm not part of that 1%, I'm
The average joe that works 64 hours a week to make a decent living. I just don't know what to say here, should I, can I, get a refund if they basically charged me for something I don't need? If there's anything that needs to be fixed now is it fair I should get charged again. I'm completely lost and pissed!
You could sue them for damages on the basis of misrepresentation, but you would have to decide if you think it's worth it. Filing a civil claim can be expensive and time-consuming.

Try implying that you will pass on word of your negative experience to anyone and everyone. That might get them moving.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state

I called and talked to the lady again, she said to bring it in and no charges would be made to look at the car again, but no guarantee if anything needs to be fixed.
So at this point I'm shaking I'm so mad, the car was fine except the opening of the hood to turn it on, they replaced a started that wasn't even broken, an idle that seems to be exactly the same as before, low, and a oil sensor level that was broken, yes, but as long as I kept an eye on the oil level I was fine, that was also said to me by a BMW technician couple years ago.
Unfortunately you won't get them to give u money back for the things that they replaced/fixed that may or may not needed it. That's after the fact. However they will and should find and fix the problem now for free and quickly. The word lawyer will help a lot.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
That's 2,000 bucks worth of work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBeC9SIkakk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

At least my mechanic was nice enough not to touch the car, I could've had him replace any parts for less.

I called BMW of America and nicely explained to them everything word by word. All the girl could say was that it's wrong to guess a part is causing it , unless it's a cheap fix.
But there's nothing she could do.
I didn't need a starter, I replaced it 2 years ago, the idle valve was another guess, but the dealership didn't tell me we are guessing here, it was yes, this would fix it, so even if it was very upsetting to let that much of a hard working money go I had no choice.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You could sue them for damages on the basis of misrepresentation, but you would have to decide if you think it's worth it. Filing a civil claim can be expensive and time-consuming.

Try implying that you will pass on word of your negative experience to anyone and everyone. That might get them moving.
I already called my layer, and he told me those exact words, but I'm trying to be nice here and see what they'll do tomorrow first.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Does anybody ever heard of a car that you need to open the hood to turn on? What can possibly cause this.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Does anybody ever heard of a car that you need to open the hood to turn on? What can possibly cause this.
My first thought was it is a hood sensor that is shorted. BMW right? Never know with those cars. Then I thought the hood closed was shorting something else out. The. I thought it isn't getting enough O2 to start but that is lame.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
My first thought was it is a hood sensor that is shorted. BMW right? Never know with those cars. Then I thought the hood closed was shorting something else out. The. I thought it isn't getting enough O2 to start but that is lame.
even my mechanic is puzzled. I just don't get how they didn't check that. I just looked at my bill statement, whatever it's called, they never checked any wiring on the hood. the car has no alarm, so even if I unplug the alarm switch near the engine the car turns on.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
All of these (_ _ _ _ robbed me) threads! Everyone is robbing each other! It's a conspiracy!
really, someone sent in an iPhone for a $2,000 repair only to have it sent back just as broken as before? Where?

Oct 3, 2009
The idle valve will have nothing to do with if the car cranks or not. Based on what you say, with the hood closed it won't even crank right?

Doesn't really matter because even if the idle valve was stuck closed, stepping on the gas pedal a bit would allow enough air to get the thing to run.

Do you have remote start?

I would have to look at a diagram to see but maybe the hood light circuit is allowing b+ to feed back into a system that is actually missing power or missing a ground. Bad grounds do really crazy things. I would also check for a rubbed wire near the hood release lever.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
No remote start, the idle valve was replaced because it kept wobbling between 400 and 700 rpm's.
I'm furious, now they are saying it could be the key lol
A donkey has more common sense than these people.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
I feel your pain and I know you work long and hard! Hopefully they resolve it without more $$$.

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
Did you google the problem? I went through the almost the same problem with the Subaru dealership. They couldnt figure out the problem. Everytime they stuck it on their little computer it said fix this.. Translation another $500-$1000. finally I researched it myself and said ok I want this part Changed. Ended up costing $150 for that part but only after I spent almost $4000 for them to not be able to figure it out. There are car forums out there that can also be pretty helpful.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I checked everywhere. Today when I asked why they replaced the starter she told me it was because when they tapped on it the car would start. With that theory the hood needed to be replaced as well then right? she told me that those 2 things don't communicate. Wud?

when you ask if replacing all this parts would fix the problem and they reply with a firm "yes" that's exactly what you expect.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
I totally agree about the car forums. Anytime anything goes wrong with my camaro, I go online first. Mechanics and dealerships... Ugh. I just had an awful experience with GMC. My car keys were lost, completely gone and no spare. After two failed attempts at a key, they tell me that I need a new ignition switch. ($492) I was furious. Nothing was wrong with the vehicle, it just needed a key. After we spoke, they decided to test a 3rd key. Magically, it world. No new ignition switch after all. You really, really have to trust your mechanic these days or know a little bit about mechanics yourself. Good luck to you bennyboy.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Feels like you're dealing with a Herbie right there. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your problem, Benny. My Dad has had a lot of problems with his BMW that weren't his fault as well, but they are way less than the problems he faced with the Cherokee. BMW's service and replacement parts are quite expensive, not to mention unnecessarily, but in Egypt, getting it fixed at the dealership is much safer and more efficient than at any mechanic shop because, well, you wouldn't want to mess around with a $100,000+ car (in our car's case).

What happened is definitely not your fault and you made the right decision to take it to the dealership. I'd listen to your lawyer and sue their butts, mate. Even if it's going to take some time and you'll have to pay some, it's really about the concept more than about the money, if you ask me, and I have a feeling they'll try to persuade you into dropping the case since it truly is their fault. You know how a lot of dealerships are struggling with consumers repairing and servicing their cars at mechanical shops rather than at them, right? So your case will definitely increase that and they sure don't want that.

Best of luck, man. If you ever want to go in there and beat the crap out of those BMW people, just let me know. I'll buy a cheap one-way ticket and kick some butts with you. My US visa is still valid till 2013. ;)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
know a little bit about mechanics yourself. Good luck to you bennyboy.
Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
That's exactly right. That's the most cost-efficient way, in my opinion. Everyone should go and learn some about mechanics and perhaps ask other experienced mechanics for advice and suggestion rather than for help. I'm going to look into that when I'm done with university so I'd have a bit more time to learn. Servicing and fixing your car in Egypt, whether at the dealership or at some mechanic's shop, is pretty darn expensive and not that safe.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
My girlfriends dad he's an airplane mechanic, he works for UPS, you can get on standby and fly for 50 bucks Tarek, and we can go break some windshield LOL

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ha ha.. I bet I can fit into a shipping box with holes for breathing; after all, I'm only 5"7 and 154 lbs. Let's go, dude.