Bookbook for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Jarred, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

Hey guys, had my BookBook for the iPhone 5 arrive today so I've snapped a few pics and will pass on my thoughts.

If you've had the BookBook for the iPhone 4/4S then you'll notice a couple of changes. The first one is how the phone is held in the case, instead of the little bookmark style strap which got less secure as the case got older and looser it now clips in with some latches around the phone. It looks like they're purposefully designed to latch over the machined lip around the edge of the phone and it holds it nice and secure. I can't see it falling out. 2; There is now a cutout on the back for the camera/flash/mic. and C: an extra card slot thanks to the taller phone.

It feels a bit sturdier than the iPhone 4/4S item, although that might be because my old one is... errr Older... Same with the card slots, can be quite difficult to extract your card due to the stiffness of the leather. I put my most used card in the front "ID" pocket as it has the little window to help slide it out. Be aware that the white section on the back of your cards will slowly rub off. (I have this happen with my regular wallet anyway)
    Because I use a screen sheild I will have to change it every few months as with a full compliment of cards the case rubs against the screen, probably wouldn't be an issue if you're running the phone naked.

All in all, a good case, does well with minor drops and bumps provided it doesn't open up on the way down and faceplant. A little bit different and handy with the card slots. One slight detractor for me is that it can look like a little Bible which might attract those unsavoury religious types, (Chill guys, have a sense of humour).

#1 Jarred, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Glad they added a opening for the camera might have to look into them again. The lack of the camera open kept me from getting one for my 4/4s

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Why does it look so beat up? I am not a fan of these style cases, looks like a smelly wallet.

#3 liberated, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

The gimmick of the bookbook is its suppose to look like a old leather bound book. The iPad version looks good too.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Looks like a smelly wallet that has been stuffed in a bum's back sweaty soiled back pocket... Yuck lol

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it's supposed to look like an old, well-read bible. They might as well have called it Goodbook instead of Bookbook. Either way, I use my phone way too much to bundle it with a wallet. It would be a nuisance to have to flip it open all the time and have my credit cards flapping around for 5+ hours a day while I was typing, browsing and playing games.

7. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I'm gonna check this out. I like the idea of condensing my wallet and phone together. It also seems like taking the phone out of the case for longer usage would be pretty easy. Hope I can find one in a store to take a look.

Sent using iCafe app

8. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

I really don't understand the hype with this bookbook case, but to each their own.

9. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

After seeing the case...it IS to each their own. It adds a TON of bulk to the iPhone and makes it awkward to actually use the phone for calls. I passed on it and went with an Otterbox Reflex. Impressive protection for little extra heft.

Sent using iCafe app

10. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Where are the pics? :confused:

11. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

Does anyone use a screen protector with the bookbook case?