Books.app - How to get ebooks to your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Sometimes I feel the entire iPhone world revolves around having a Mac computer. I finally broke down and got AppTapp installed and installed the Books application. Now I'm clueless as to how to copy ebooks from my PC to my iPhone. All of the documentation seems to revolve around having a Mac. Please surely someone else out there besides me is trying to do this on an iphone-PC combination. Any help would be greatly appreciated (other than Buy A Mac).

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Well I'm going to answer my own question because I've got it to work. In addition to the Books app, I also installed the iSpace and VT100 terminal apps. Within VT100, I created a directory under the Media directory called EBooks. I then uploaded my EBook (a text file) to the SendSpace service (www.sendspace.com). On my iPhone I was then able to download the text file using the iSpace app into the Ebooks directory. Works great.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
it works much easier if you use SSH to transfer files.
I wonder how many PC users have SSH installed on their computers (or even know how to use it). That's the problem I'm finding in these discussion they mainly seem to be oriented towards the Mac and Unix user.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wonder how many PC users have SSH installed on their computers (or even know how to use it). That's the problem I'm finding in these discussion they mainly seem to be oriented towards the Mac and Unix user.
There are actually quite a few Windows users out here with iPhones--myself included. Here's a tutorial on installing WinSCP on a Windows PC:
http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/74/iPhone_install_winscp_windows_74.html

That site used to have a Windows version for nearly everything. Alas after the iTunes update those seem to be obsolete. I'd imagine they will catch up (for Windows users) as the iPhone's appeal--since the price drop--got a whole lot wider.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Is SSH supposed to be Mac/Unix exclusive or something? Nope, lol :p

I use SSH every day, I'm also on a PC primarily.

I think most PC users don't need to use SSH because FTP is native within Windows' file manager so its one of those "if it ain't broke why fix it" sort of things. There hasn't been a need for SSH file transfers until now, unless of course you are in a businesss that needs SSH for file transfers, like myself.

Smooth transition on the iPhone from ibrickr, I wouldn't bother uploading my folder of NES roms with anything but SSH.

delt23

Sep 22, 2007
Would you mind explaining how that works? :)
Install SSH through Installer.app
Go to Settings/WiFi/ and select your wifi to get the IP address.
Using any ftp program that supports SFTP, type in that IP address.
The username is 'root' and the password is 'dottie'
Happy browsing