Bootcamp on Mac Mini with Lion

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I just bought the new Mac Mini - was a little torn between it and the 2010 model as the new model has no optical drive. But, I opted for the larger hard drive and faster processor.
Now I am getting ready to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp. I am concerned how I am going to get the drivers installed as there is 1) no disks for Lion OSx, and 2) there is no place to put it anyway! Has anyone addressed this issue with Bootcamp on Lion? Do I need to download Lion on my existing license and create a USB drive with the OS on it?

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
try downloading it as a torrent or from the Apple site. personally, i wouldn't trust Lion with boot camp, especially if windows is for work. if you do try this, make sure you always have an up-to-date backup of all of your documents. do make the usb, you just have to somehow get the .dmg file. i personally do this via tpb, only because mac os doesn't require a stupid serial key. snow leopard has a stable boot camp and drivers are easily created, but like you said you would have to re-install the whole os via usb, but luckily enough the mini is brand new which means you probably don't have anything to backup at this point.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
try downloading it as a torrent or from the Apple site. personally, i wouldn't trust Lion with boot camp, especially if windows is for work. if you do try this, make sure you always have an up-to-date backup of all of your documents. do make the usb, you just have to somehow get the .dmg file. i personally do this via tpb, only because mac os doesn't require a stupid serial key. snow leopard has a stable boot camp and drivers are easily created, but like you said you would have to re-install the whole os via usb, but luckily enough the mini is brand new which means you probably don't have anything to backup at this point.
True. I have nothing to lose! Apple may have already taken all this into consideration as I read on another forum that Lion prompted to install drivers. I just want to be a little bit more clear before proceeding. This is my first venture into Mac (Well, since the Fat Mac I had in 1984!), so am a little noob to begin with.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
computerfox, are you suggesting that he pirate a copy of OS X Lion? This is a voilation of forum policy.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Lol. Europa. Good to know you are nearby. I think I am entitled to download it directly from Apple since I just bought it. I would rather forego that excitement though, if I don't have to. Plus, I would have to go out and buy an 8GB flash drive.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Just to go off thread a bit..... Is it normal for the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll the opposite direction (up/down) on the Mac that it does on Windows?
Its driving me nuts!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
exactly my point, but if he can't find it on the Apple site, then he'd be able to find it as a torrent and would be legal since it's under the free license.
They have to be official download links to be legal.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I brought it up at first because I thought you were referring to the OS. Just curious, though - Do you really need to torrent Linux distros? I just downloaded 11.04 from Ubuntu's site a couple weeks ago and I've always been able to get new versions of it there. I know the history of BitTorrent and what it was originally used for, but that's not pertinent right now and we don't need to get into that. As far as the forum rules go, we can't discuss obtaining software illegally from file sharing sites. I'd have to ask Chris if it's okay to discuss torrenting drivers. Either way, the OP would probably be able to find official links.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I brought it up at first because I thought you were referring to the OS. Just curious, though - Do you really need to torrent Linux distros? I just downloaded 11.04 from Ubuntu's site a couple weeks ago and I've always been able to get new versions of it there. I know the history of BitTorrent and what it was originally used for, but that's not pertinent right now and we don't need to get into that. As far as the forum rules goes, we can't discuss obtaining software illegally from file sharing sites. I'd have to ask Chris if it's okay to discuss torrenting drivers. Either way, the OP would probably be able to find official links.
did you ever try mint linux? it's pretty cool as well.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nope. I haven't used that one.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
OK. Just to close out this thread. The Windows 7 installation with Bootcamp went flawlessly. Bootcamp prompted me to create a disk or USB file for the drivers right off the bat, and it guided the process throughout. I am on Windows 7 with Chrome right now. Well, Windows is in the process of downloading and installing 89 updates! Lion did a great job on this one. Smooth transition form OS to OS.