Bootloader 4.6 UNLOCK through Installer ITS HERE!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Saw this unfold last night and this morning. Good ol' George trumps them all again! So much for waiting on the dev team... they've been scooped yet again!

George's blog post:
http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2008/02/11246unlock-good-enough-for-prize.html

Post about it on Hackint0sh:
http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28441

What's so amazing about this is about a month ago George said, emphatically, that a software unlock for BL 4.16 was impossible (or "when hell freezes over"). But, pretty much on his own, he did it.

Bravo!

--
Mike

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
If you were giving money to the "dev team" for this software unlock, why not give it to the guy who actually found the exploits and exploited them?
As much as I HATE aggressive donation pitches, that one deserves much respect because its true.

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
If I use AT&T I assume I don't need to unlock my phone? I'm kinda new to this.

Brian

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
If I use AT&T I assume I don't need to unlock my phone? I'm kinda new to this.

Brian
Yeah, you're fine.

You're only interested in "Jailbreaking"

People who want to use iPhones on other carrier networks take "Jailbreaking" to another level by "Unlocking" it to work on other networks.

For future reference, disregard anything that says "Unlock" in the name as it won't pertain to you heh. I don't unlock either, but I find reverse engineering fascinating, especially when its Apple. I like to watch them squirm as they decide which persona they are going project when they need to slap wrists. The faceless corporation they once hated (but finally realized it works in the businesss world), or the fun loving "code is poetry" veteran hackers who turn a blind eye while getting into their Cat costume for a game of cat-and-mouse.

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks X. I figured as much. And yes, I'm already Jailbroken to 1.1.3.

Brian

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
HOLY SH!T

HOLY SH!T

HOLY SH!T.

not because this is increbilble - which it most certainly is

but because i did it

AND IT WORKED!

i unlocked a week 04 iPhone 1.1.3 OTB

and it works!

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I Have OTB 1.1.3 and was able to jailbreak it to 1.1.3 WHICH TAKES FOREVER. Used the Iclarified Soft update back to 1.1.3 WHICH TOOK FOREVER. Then used the unlock system. It said it was successful but I'll need to wait to put a T-Mo sim to test as I'm a AT&T Cust. Should know if it works tomorrow. But it did downgrade my modem firmware from 04_03_13 to 04_02_13 which is what we've all been waiting to accomplish.
So far so good I just need to confirm with the t-mo sim card

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Here are my findings with pics

I downgraded to 1.1.1, Jailbroke and installed OK to prep. Upgraded to 1.1.2 and jailbroke using windows bat and then installed OK to prep and BSD Systems In order to run the soft upgrade to 1.1.3. The soft upgrade to 1.1.3 takes FOREVER so you will need to be patient. When you soft upgrade to 1.1.3 you will still have the 04_03_13G firmware. You will need to go into the installer and run GEOHOT unlock for 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 and it will run for about 5 minns and say unlock successful or something like that. After the successful unlock, the modem firmware will now be 04_02_13G. Please see my pics below.
I have a 2008 week 4 OTB 1.1.3 that I tested this on and it does infact work.

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
This process takes about 2 hrs and 15 minns for someone that knows what they are doing. Stayed up until 5 in the morning testing this.

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I Am currently testing now on a OTB 1.1.2. Pretty sure it will work and be a little less complicated than the OTB 1.1.3 Since I will not have to do the soft update to 1.1.3 which will cut the time in more than half. Will keep you informed.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
just an FYI - if you are using a 1.1.3 OTB, you do NOT, again, DO NOT have to come back to 1.1.3.

this method puts the baseband back to 04.02.13.

it actually took me less than an hour to do when I finally realized what I was doing wrong and restated from scratch (fresh 1.1.3)

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
just an FYI - if you are using a 1.1.3 OTB, you do NOT, again, DO NOT have to come back to 1.1.3.

this method puts the baseband back to 04.02.13.

it actually took me less than an hour to do when I finally realized what I was doing wrong and restated from scratch (fresh 1.1.3)
I'm not understanding. Are you saying to not get the phone back to 1.1.3 like keep it at 1.1.2? Please Clarify

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
DURING THE whole process.. (after ibrick).. is it normal for the iPhone to say "INCORRECT SIM INSERT AN UNLOCKED AND VALID SIM TO ACTIVATE PHONE" and under it says "slide for emergency"

btw im at the part where i just clicked install appsnap.. ITS BEEN 3 MINUTES, MY iPhone HASN'T RESTARTED YET.. wtf?

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
DURING THE whole process.. (after ibrick).. is it normal for the iPhone to say "INCORRECT SIM INSERT AN UNLOCKED AND VALID SIM TO ACTIVATE PHONE" and under it says "slide for emergency"

btw im at the part where i just clicked install appsnap.. ITS BEEN 3 MINUTES, MY iPhone HASN'T RESTARTED YET.. wtf?

Here's how to get it to restart.
Restart your iPhone. Before it restarts, open up iTunes. Just leave it open and do absolutely nothing in iTunes. Do your thang installing appsnap and it should restart the iPhone right away. right when you see the phone restart, just close iTunes right away and keep going with your process. It is normal for the phone to read the invalid sim message. Just keep going until you get to the end.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I'm not saying you MUST stay at 1.1.2.

you don't have to go to 1.1.3 if you had a 1.1.3 OTB, though, because the baseband gets downgraded to 1.1.2's version and unlocked.

I have a 1.1.3 OTB right now (giving it to someone in Russia), and a 1.1.1 OTB (my personal phone).. my phone is 1.1.3 jailbroken with Nate's method.

the 1.1.3 OTB is at 1.1.2, working fine.