Boring Outlook Sync Question

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hi...I've searched around a bit but haven't come up with any answers to this question.

I don't currently sync any calendar to my iPhone 3g, and use a fetch gmail for my emails. I basically want to get my Outlook work calendar on my phone and just use that but not have my work mail go through. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, this is possible either by syncing with USB or over the Air with Exchange 2003/2007.

When USB Connected / go to your iPhone under devices / choose Info tab and just choose Calendar sync and your done. Over the Air you have to have Active Sync and OWA working to sync this way via Exchnage Server.

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hmm...maybe I'm in over my head. Are you saying over the air, my work would need to have these things enabled? I don't know what OWA is. People here have blackberry's and get over the air updates from phones issued issued by the organization. Mine is just personal...but I have the domain name and all that jazz so I feel like it may be able to work...

I don't currently hook my phone up to the work PC, only my home. The home one has Outlook installed for my roommate so I don't sync to that either.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Are you aloud to have iTunes loaded at work? If so, you can have your iPhone sync to both iTunes at home and work. OWA stands for Outlook Web Access, which is a function where you can access corporate email through the Web securly. If this is possible then you can setup your phone to do the same with your businesss domain name.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Another idea is to use the google calendar Sync tool to sync the work calendar to Google Calendar, and then sync back to outlook at home from google. that way, work and home and internet are all the same.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Another idea is to use the google calendar Sync tool to sync the work calendar to Google Calendar, and then sync back to outlook at home from google. that way, work and home and internet are all the same.
Hawk I think you have given this recommendation in the past and I followed it and it is the best work around I have found. A little inconvienent but but it gets the job done.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
thanks, yes I have. It's the best over-all work around till google decides to offer something more direct to the mobile world.

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hey Hawk and Spampy,
Thanks so much for your advice. I finally figured out how to link to the exchange server. Someone at work had given me the wrong Server address so it kept saying validation failed. I am now synced up to my work calendar, and not my mail via AIR which is great! Don't even have to install iTunes at work now!