Bossprefs, 2.1, and LAG

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry to start so many threads on basically the same subject, but as many of you know, I've been trying to nail down my lag issues since pwning 2.1. The symptom is lagging of system apps (~10 seconds or more to open settings, sms, camera, weather, etc.). The phone would be fine after a reboot, then the lag would slowly creep back after a few hours, even if I wasn't using it.

Well, I noticed some peculiarities with Bossprefs (regarding the battery meter, actually), so I figured that's the only app I always have running, so to speak. I uninstalled it and now my lagging issues are MUCH better. There must be a memory leak in the current version.

I still get the occasional lag going into settings now, but it's not nearly as bad as it was with Bossprefs. And now, if I exit and go back in, it's as speedy as it should be. Before, the lag stayed until I rebooted.

Just wanted to throw it out there, as I know a lot of people have been having similar issues. I'd like to see if this fix works for everyone or if there's something else going on...

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm experiencing this as well. Just removed Bossprefs. Hopefully I, too, will see the lag go away. I wonder if this might also be related to varying battery lifetime (yesterday I ended the day at 75% and today, with nominally the same usage, I'm down to 38%....go figure).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Update: I don't think it's bossprefs, necessarily, because I was getting the lag again. I really think it's using the "digital battery" display option from bossprefs. I left it on that option when I uninstalled Bossprefs, and the digital battery display remained. After a while, the digital display went away and the normal battery indicator showed up. Then my phone crashed.

So I figured something is definitely wrong there. I reinstalled bossprefs and disabled that option. Now I have bossprefs installed, normal battery display, and the lag is REALLY gone. Try it! I am 99% sure this time that I've finally nailed it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Update: I don't think it's bossprefs, necessarily, because I was getting the lag again. I really think it's using the "digital battery" display option from bossprefs. I left it on that option when I uninstalled Bossprefs, and the digital battery display remained. After a while, the digital display went away and the normal battery indicator showed up. Then my phone crashed.

So I figured something is definitely wrong there. I reinstalled bossprefs and disabled that option. Now I have bossprefs installed, normal battery display, and the lag is REALLY gone. Try it! I am 99% sure this time that I've finally nailed it.
If you need a battery meter, try My Battery

dsegel

Aug 13, 2008
I don't think BossPrefs has much to do with the digital battery other than enabling that feature in the OS. I recently did a full restore to OS 2.1 (i.e. un-jailbroke my iPhone) and the digital battery feature still worked after I was done. BossPrefs was not only not installed, but the phone wasn't even jailbroken. It's obviously just turning on a feature in the OS that is there but not available via the standard Settings app.

There's no reason to believe that drawing the numbers instead of a battery icon should have any effect on OS speed or battery life.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have no reason to believe this other than my own experiences. I turned off the digital battery indicator, and my lag is gone.

dsegel

Aug 13, 2008
OK, but I run the digital numeric battery indicator constantly and all of the apps you mentioned open within 1-3 seconds for me. I don't doubt that there's something going on with your phone, but I don't think it's strictly related to the battery indicator change.

The reason I recently did a full restore on my phone was because it was crashing frequently and several apps would frequently fail to load at all. After the restore and subsequent re-jailbreak, everything works fine again. This tells me something was corrupted, but I still don't know what it was. I suspect Winterboard, but have no specific evidence yet.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmm, well I'd like to hear from others using the digital battery option without issue, but thank you for your input.

Everything's still working fine for me so far.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I use the numeric battery and I get the lag when I go to SMS, settings, and a few others. Sometimes my battery will just change back to stock without me even changing the setting such remain enabled.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yep, that happened to me too. Try disabling numeric battery just for today and tell me if it gets any better for you.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
will do! Do you think I should uninstall it or just disable it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
just disable it. That seems to be working for me.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I unistalled boss prefs and I do not have a numeric battery installed at all and I'm still experiencing some lag opening safari, mail and texts... It's a little better but still not as tight as the non jailbrake 2.1 was...

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've never used the digital batter and I get lag, especially with the SMS app.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
PSYLICON-

Ok I did a complete restore and re-jailbrake with the newer WNPWN that wasn't available when you and I jailbroke... Put winterboard and Erica's rename the carrier app, openssh, the separate toggle for that, and a ton of winterboard add-ons and did NOT reinstall bossprefs or any digital batteried like you're talking about and I've got a tight extremley responsive 3g 2.1 phone!

You think it may have been that jailbrake we did that day?

(gotta run out to the store for a min)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You think it may have been that jailbrake we did that day?
Not really, because I'm still on that jailbreak, and I'm happy now with my phone responsiveness. It still lags juuuust a bit at times but it's sporadic and a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Let me know how it feels in a couple days for you.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I was just going to restore my 3G and re-jailbreak, until I found this thread. I've been having that lag issue also and thought it could have been due to the jailbreak. I used that method that Psylichon posted a few days back. I just downloaded the latest QuickPWN app and was going to try using that this time round. But I guess it's not worth doing.

OJ, did you/have you notice improvement with the later jailbreak?

I get the lag when going into SMS.