Bought a dead, junk 3GS, fixed it (I think). Now it wants a Passcode!

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by Little-Acorn, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Hi all,

I bought a dead iPhone 3GS (16GB) from a fellow, who in turn had bought it on eBay and, he said, tried futilely to fix it himself. Well, I've heard worse stories. It showed signs of having been opened before, possibly many times. Pressing buttons did no good - it remained dead.

I plugged it into my charger. Then, when I hit the Sleep/Wake switch, it showed nothing but a rather dim "Battery" picture on the screen, with nothing but a narrow red band on the left side. It was pretty clearly telling me that the battery was dead. I left it on the charger overnight (this charger works very well with my normal 3GS, charges it up in a few hours). But the dead iPhone still showed that almost-dead battery symbol the next morning, and would do nothing else.

Bit the bullet and ordered a new battery. When I opened the iPhone, I saw one cable that appeared to be not connected. Hmm. Took the phone apart, replaced the battery, put it together, and connected all cables as well as I could.

Now I hit the Sleep/wake switch, the Apple logo appeared (first time!) and it woke up! Showed maybe 50% battery charge, which is a vast improvement. It's on my office charger now, and battery charge has climbed to 61% so far. We're in businesss!

Except now it's asking for a passcode.

Let's just say that the guy I bought it from (in the parking lot of a local burger joint at night for cash, 'nuff said) might be pretty hard to reach, and he probably doesn't know the passcode himself.

Is there anything more I can do to bring this phone into the world? Or have I run into the immovable object now?

Is there some kind of "Master reset" that can get past this Passcode request? Reset to original factory values, or something like that? I don't mind opening the case again if I need to.

Or do I now have a paperweight with a new battery?

2. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

See if you can put it in DFU mode and connect to iTunes to RESTORE

3. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

press power and home button while connected to iTunes....may take 30-45 seconds

4. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

I haven't tried that. I'll give it a try, thanks!

If I do get it into DFU mode, will that definitely get it past that Passcode request? Or is it just a suggestion on what "might" work?

((This is more than i had before, it's definitely worth a try!)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Since you do not have access to the computer it is synced with, the only way to get past the passcode is to restore it to factory settings in iTunes. If iTunes doesn't recognize it, use DFU. If iTunes recognizes it, just restore it.

6. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Thank you, Europa, good stuff!

I'm not worried about preserving whatever information is on this phone now. It's someone else's info, I don't want it. But just in case it has an older baseband that is unlockable, I hope this DFU session doesn't automatically update that to a new - and non-unlockable - version. Ditto for the iOS.

I've heard that DFU stands for "Device Firmware Update" or something close to that. Is this updating automatic, or does it ask you what you want to update it to?

If I have to, OK, I'll update it to the latest-and-greatest, if that's the only way to make a working phone out of it. But it would be nice if I can do it in a way that leaves it unlockable.

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

DFU mode is a mode in which you can write a custom firmware to the phone. It doesn't perform the update itself, it allows you to do it through iTunes. If you build a custom firmware restore and make sure the "baseband update" checkbox is not checked, then it won't overwrite the baseband that's on it. If you haven't already gone through with the restore, try iFaith or TinyUmbrella to see if it can save SHSHs.

8. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Well, I put it into DFU mode last night and restored it to factory original settings, or so iTunes told me. It was a little cranky, kept timing out on me for some reason. Finally succeeded on the 5th try. When I told it to restore, the only software it offered was 5.1 (not 5.0.1). So I figured What the hell, this is just a junk phone, if it winds up non-unlockable, I'll still be happy as long as it works.

Five tries later, I believe the restore is finished. The Apple logo appeared, then it started acting like a phone... and complained that the iPhone I was trying to activate, didn't have a SIM card (true), so I'm stuck again.

Since it's now restored, I assume that any jailbreaking it might have had (I don't know) is now gone, and it's back to being a loyal AT&T customer again, correct? Meaning that if I try to put my T-Mobile SIM card in it, it will just say "Invalid SIM card" or something equally obnoxious, and still not work. I wish I could at least get it to the point where it will tell me what baseband it has, and maybe whether it's a newer or older bootrom.

Is it now at the point where jailbreaking would be a good idea? More importantly, since I guess it now has iOS 5.1 (not 5.0.1), is this phone jailbreakable at all? Or did Apple finally come up with an un-jailbreakable version of iOS?

9. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

How do I do that? Is that an iTunes function? (Is it obvious yet, that I'm a complete newbie at this? :) )

Where is that "baseband update" checkbox? I never saw it.

I have. Is it now too late to preserve the baseband? If so, what baseband does it probably have now, since I've done a standard right-out-of-the-box restore?

Too late, I guess?

As I asked above, since I've now done a "normal" restore, is this a good time to try a jailbreak? HOW? What software should I use to jailbreak and/or unlock this critter?

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Yes, you lost the jailbreak as soon as you restored it. Give it just a bit more time and I bet there is a jailbreak (untethered) for iOS 5.1

11. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

If it is an old bootrom 3GS, you can already jailbreak 5.1 untethered with sn0wbreeze (Windows) or redsn0w (Mac or Windows).

If it is not an old bootrom 3GS, the jailbreak is tethered, meaning the jailbreak only lasts until the next reboot, and you will need to boot it using a jailbreaking utility on the computer each time it turns off. If it's a tethered jailbreak, various things stop working if the phone boots normally.

The way to tell if it is an old or new bootrom 3GS is to put it into DFU mode (where the screen is off) and check its USB descriptors: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-iboot-version/

You can get back out of DFU mode by holding power and home for about 5-10 seconds until the Apple logo shows up.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thread moved to iPhone Unlock.

13. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Brought the phone to an AT&T store, and they activated it, almost to fast for me to follow! Cool, now it looks like a live and kicking iPhone! Still without SIM card. They briefly put in their own SIM card, and I saw lots of iphone-like things. Way cool!

It has iOS 5.1, and baseband 05.16.05. Carrier is AT&T, no surprise after I did the full factory restore.

I gather this is jailbreakable now, but not unlockable, correct? At least until someone figures out how to unlock iOS 5.1? (Has anybody figured that out? :) )

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's jailbreakable, but it's not software unlockable. You can unlock it with a GEVEY SIM card, though.
    http://www.greenpois0n.us/2012/03/how-to-unlock-ios-51-iphone-4-with.html

15. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

That's a surprise. I thought Gevey made their special SIM cards for iPhone 4's only. Aren't iPhone 4 SIM cards, physically smaller than iPhone 3GS SIM cards?

Or will they fit, and work, anyway in a 3GS?

Can I use the 3GS on T-Mobile with one of these GEVEY SIM cards?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I think you're right. It looks like it's iPhone 4-only now. It looks like they stopped making them for the 3GS.

You could sell it to someone on AT&T and buy one that's still unlockable.