Bought a new laptop - need to get my iPhone running on new PC

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Seems like a simple task, but I'm stumped.

I replaced my old desktop PC (which my iPhone was happily hooked up to) with a new laptop. I installed the newest version of iTunes and plugged my iPhone in and clicked sync. Nothing much happened. I was under the impression that by doing something all the settings and podcasts, contacts, account info, etc would be copied from my iPhone to the new PC.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks all!

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Does iTunes recognize you phone? If so have you gone into the menu and authorized your new computer? You might try this and see if that solves you problem.

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Does iTunes recognize you phone? If so have you gone into the menu and authorized your new computer? You might try this and see if that solves you problem.
Yes, the iPhone appears on the iTunes left hand side....I have also authorized the new laptop.

Maybe I am asking for something that is not possible? I guess I just have to manually reenter the podcast subscriptions that I have as well as import all the music and what I'm looking to do will be accomplished.

It just seems like there should be a way to change PC's and magically have all the songs (not purchased on iTunes btw) and podcasts transfer over once I plug in the iPhone.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I am of the opinion you don't have to re do all that. Go to the main forum page scroll down to Desktop Software and the heading in that category 'Windows PC and iPhone" if you haven't searched here do so if you have with no luck repost you questions here.

Also search Desktop Software, iTunes on the main page. I just did and there appears to be several threads that should help you. I would also post your question in this forum. Hope this helps.

xenion

Jan 7, 2009
Yes, the iPhone appears on the iTunes left hand side....I have also authorized the new laptop.

Maybe I am asking for something that is not possible? I guess I just have to manually reenter the podcast subscriptions that I have as well as import all the music and what I'm looking to do will be accomplished.

It just seems like there should be a way to change PC's and magically have all the songs (not purchased on iTunes btw) and podcasts transfer over once I plug in the iPhone.
click on the iPhone tab and at the top you will see contacts, music etc.. go into each one and hit sync all or something like that