Bought Used Phone That is Registered to Original Owner

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 12, 2015
I bought used iPhone. But I can't use it because it's still registered in the first owner details and I have no means of finding that person.
Please Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I bought used iPhone. But I can't use it because it's still registered in the first owner details and I have no means of finding that person. The serial number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Pls Help
It sounds like you unknowingly bought a stolen/lost iPhone. Are you unable to get past the lock screen? If so, there is no way to get past the iCloud lock. Try to contact the seller. If that fails, and it almost certainly will if it is a stolen phone, open a case/claim with eBay (if you bought it on eBay).

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
@Europa, sorry for taking long, when I start it up, it's requesting to enter the Apple ID, when I put mine, it's responding saying wrong Id
You still didn't answer her questions. She needs those answers to better help you. But if the phone is registered to someone else and you can not get the information you need to change the ID to your ID, then there is nothing you can do. It's a security measure because of all the theft of iPhones.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can explain it better if I know these two details:
1. Where did you buy the phone?
2. How do you know it's still registered to the original owner?
You bought a stolen devive that is locked to the previous owner. Only the original owner can remove the lock. It's an Apple security measure to decrease theft. Always make sure it's not locked before buying a used iPhone.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
You bought a stolen devive that is locked to the previous owner. Only the original owner can remove the lock. It's an Apple security measure to decrease theft. Always make sure it's not locked before buying a used iPhone.
Or the original owner didn't think to log off / clear the phone first.