Box Office Back Up & Running In the App Store!

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
You heard it here first, box office is back up & running on the app store! Who's gonna get it? Keep in mind, its free.
As said on MacRumors:
Cyrus Najmabadi's popular movie-times application BoxOffice [Free, App Store] is back in the App Store.

BoxOffice was removed for unclear reasons, and the developer is unable to reveal any details. There has been some speculation that it related to the use of Rotten Tomato ratings as some similar applications had also been pulled. Regardless, the application is back and still provides Rotten Tomato ratings.

The application allows you to browse local theatres, show times, ratings and trailers. Tickets may also be purchased at participating theaters.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, I have it and I think it's the BEST movie showtime application out there. I love watching smooth, hi-res trailers on 3G.

And I intend on keeping it.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
For those of you who are looking for the application Box Office, it has changed it's name to Now Playing. I had a bit of trouble trying to find it at first, so search for Now Playing to get to the formerly named application Box Office.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
For those of you who are looking for the application Box Office, it has changed it's name to Now Playing. I had a bit of trouble trying to find it at first, so search for Now Playing to get to the formerly named application Box Office.
hmmm... I did a search for Now Playing & found it titled as Box Office in the iTunes Appstore but when you click on it, the info page does say it changed to Now Playing.

I'm thinking the reason why they took it off was because of the App name. Box Office may have been a trademark that had already been taken by some other entity. Hence the name change.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
at first i typed box office and nothing came up then i typed boxoffice and it came up so either boxoffice or now playing works

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
what i also use the movies.app...it works great and is also very useful. but, of course, i think i'm going to give boxoffice (or now playing) another try :D

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Well, I have it and I think it's the BEST movie showtime application out there. I love watching smooth, hi-res trailers on 3G.

And I intend on keeping it.
I enjoy watching the trailers as well but I would not say they are high res. Still an absolute fantastic app.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I enjoy watching the trailers as well but I would not say they are high res. Still an absolute fantastic app.
Well, if you compare the same trailers on Movies.app or YouTube while on the 3G network, I'd say it's "hi-res." :)

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I don't really have a preference. Movies.app and BoxOffice (AKA Now Playing) are both good enough for me. Even the web app Fandago where there is a format FOR the iPhone itself is good enough for me and they all work great! :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
v1.3 of Box Office/Now Playing is out. The app icon is changed but I wonder why it's still titled "Box Office?" Isn't the developer trying to wean into the name "Now Playing?"

Anyway, same great app with a few more choices in options. I do like the new icon too.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I had Box Office and liked it at first, but have since switched to OneTap. You have to pay a small fee, but it is a superior app with more options and a better interface

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Interesting you should say that. I still have both and am trying to decide which I like best. One will go eventually.
I've also done that with most apps. Download two (or more) of the same type and try them out until I've decided which I prefer most.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
What kind of options make it superior?
I would like to start off by saying I haven't seen the most recent version of Box Office yet. I do remember it being fairly buggy and had a hard time with it finding the theatres near me. If I'm not mistaken, it did not show trailers in its first release either. One Tap has a really clean interface and found my theatres quickly and without a hitch. One tap on the movie picture and the trailer will start in a nice resolution. Everything just seem svery accurate and stable. I think it cost me .99 or 1.99 and feel its well worth it

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I would like to start off by saying I haven't seen the most recent version of Box Office yet. I do remember it being fairly buggy and had a hard time with it finding the theatres near me. If I'm not mistaken, it did not show trailers in its first release either. One Tap has a really clean interface and found my theatres quickly and without a hitch. One tap on the movie picture and the trailer will start in a nice resolution. Everything just seem svery accurate and stable. I think it cost me .99 or 1.99 and feel its well worth it
I've never had a problem with Box Office, although others have, and the latest version of Box Office/Now Playing even before it was pulled had a movie trailer function which shows a nice trailer that is wi-fi quality on the 3G network.

I think a lot of these free apps eventually get a lot of the functions of the paid apps. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for this.