Boxwave Keyboard Buddy

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by mcaram16, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

Anyone thinking about getting one of these? I want a case/keyboard combo for my iPhone 4 pretty bad but I haven't been able to find a good one yet.

2. jpeyatt

jpeyatt Member
    Bronze

That looks awesome! I may purchase one, the only thing that scares me is the sliding mechanism breaking.

3. jpeyatt

jpeyatt Member
    Bronze

Another thing to think about is, will the "enter" button actually work as a send key... I know on most Bluetooth keyboards it will not work as a send button when using for SMS (text). I emailed Boxwave to fine out.. I sure hope it does, or I'm out for sure..

4. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

I ordered one and I'll hopefully have it before Xmas. I'll post a "review" when I get it

5. jpeyatt

jpeyatt Member
    Bronze

Looking forward to you're review.. Thank you!

6. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

Ok here's my quick review...first I want to mention that I'm not using the keyboard case to type this and I am using my phone to post this!

It's not horrible it's just annoying. What bothers me the most is that the space bar key is about 4 keys off to the right rather than being centered so it's very annoying and it really prevents your from having any kind of speed typing.

its not really that easy to type on plus when using it words don't get auto corrected or capitalized. Double space bar doesn't put a period etc...and the enter key just brings you to the next line ( I know someone was curious about that). Is it worth 70 bucks....no. If it was 30 I'd say yeah but for 70 its not and I will be returning it.

Hope this helps.

7. jpeyatt

jpeyatt Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the review bud, I really appreciate it!

8. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Ohh man! I just bought this yesterday! Wish I read your review first ... How is the form factor of the phone with the case on? Does it really ruin it or not too bad?

9. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

It's not horrible but it's definitely thicker and not as sturdy as I wouldve liked. Def top heavy when you slide the keyboard out.

10. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the info man. Yeah I've seen a couple reviews on YouTube. A lot of people like it and it seems like it's the closest thing you'll ever get to a keyboard on an iPhone. I got my tracking number today, it comes on Monday. I'll be interested to see how well it works.

11. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

I hope you like it. It was just too difficult to get used to with the spacebar key being off. I can type around 100 words a minute on a normal keyboard so this was just no good for me.

12. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Interesting. So are you going to return it, eBay it?

13. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

Debated eBay but decided just to send it back.

14. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Yeah less hassle ...

15. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Just one more question for you ... When you have the bluetooth keyboard on and connected to the phone ready to type, does the on screen keyboard show up also when you click on the box to type? I've seen video where people type notes in the notes app and the onscreen keyboard doesn't come up ... but what about mail, SMS and third party apps? Is the onscreen keyboard disabled for all of them?

Thanks!

16. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

From what I remember the onscreen keyboard does not pop up. Not 100% sure about 3rd party but with mail,SMS,safari it def didn't pop up.

17. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Thanks man. That's good to know. I suppose the 3rd party ones would be on a case by case basis, based on how they developed the app. I saw on youtube that with the Facebook app the on screen keyboard came up regardless. I guess it just depends ...

Thanks again!

18. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

First impression: So far so good. It has a nice design, solid action on the slide, nice feel with the keys. The spacebar is towards the right which i don't really mind all that much. I will say not having autocaps is annoying but i am glad auto correct and spell check still work.

I also jailbroke the phone to allow for landscape springboard icons. Had I not done that I think I would enjoy it much less ... I`ll be back with an update after I use it a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

19. jbarrack

jbarrack New Member
    Bronze

Photo on 2011-01-10 at 21.11.jpg Photo on 2011-01-10 at 21.10.jpg

First, excuse the blurry pics. I had to take them with my webcam because my only camera is my iPhone ... So after using this case for the better part of the day I can say that I really am enjoying using it. There are a ton of apps that it works very well with as they are apps which allow for landscape viewing. Some apps also make UI changes because their is a Bluetooth keyboard attached and the need for an onscreen one is now no longer necessary. For example, Twitter shows options usually hidden by the keyboard and accessible through an onscreen action.

Auto-correct works in some apps but not in others. Maybe I am just missing something, but it seems to be spotty. Auto-Caps does not work. You actually need to hold down the shift key while pressing the letter you want to capitalize. Capitalizing letters is what slows me down the most when typing on the keyboard. I feel like I fly, then when I need to write a capital letter, I have to slow down hold down caps with my left thumb and reach with my right thumb all the way over to the letter a ... while keeping my left thumb held down. It's not deal breaker, just little quirk.

All of the reviews online, and on many blog sites, when discussing this case many criticized it for having the spacebar off-center to the right. I have to say, I really like it there. Maybe it's because I use my right thumb typically to type a space. I can see how it would be annoying for some people and something to get used it.

The build quality is very good. It's light weight, sliding mechanism is crisp and solid, phone first snug, keys feel very sturdy. Because the keyboard/case itself is so light, having the iPhone 4 in it does make it top heavy. One more minor thing is that where the sliding keyboard meets the case that holds the phone, it has a slight wiggle. Nothing major, just a little wiggly (only word really I could find to describe it accurately).

Is it practical? Sure. It works well. Are there some things just better suited for the onscreen keyboard, absolutely. But that's the case even when the keyboard is part of the physical hardware of the phone.

So for now, I like it. Those are some minor observations. Let's see if by the end of the week if I don't want to hum it out the window.

20. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

I felt the same way at first. I also had the jailbreak to allow the spring board to rotate which is a must. But after a few hours of using it with the spacebar being off centered and the whole non caps thing I was pretty much done. I'm kinda looking for perfection which I know I won't find. And like I said if it was 30 bucks I wouldve kept it. For 70 it just wasn't useful enough for me. I'm glad you like it though. I'm sure a lot of people will find it very useful. Just not us very picky types.

#20 mcaram16, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015