Brand New 16G with an Itune account ID already?

joeblack1

Aug 26, 2008
Hi, as stated in the title... I am the proud owner of the new iPhone, but when I went into the application store to download games, an Itune account ID popped up. I had not hooked it up yet to any computer. Is this not a brand new phone but rather a used one?

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
I have a friend that bought one "new" from an Apple store, and the phone had someone else's name and info in it. When he returned it, they simply apologized and gave him a new one.

Obviously, it wasn't an isolated incident, and I think it sucks that they would try fooling customers this way.

joeblack1

Aug 26, 2008
The phone was bought brand new from AT&T store.

joeblack1

Aug 26, 2008
How do I check for previous owner's name?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
The phone was bought brand new from AT&T store.
Oh raise holy hell. There should be no reason for someone else's iTunes account to be on a brand new retail phone. Its not like they were testing the camera or anything. That is BS dude and you shouldn't take that. The only reason I can see any phone having a pre-existing iTunes account loaded on it is if its a refurb and they didn't wipe it clean, but that shouldn't be the case with you.

joeblack1

Aug 26, 2008
Ok. So far, I still have not gotten any clear answer. Is this refurbished?

joeblack1

Aug 26, 2008
Oh raise holy hell. There should be no reason for someone else's iTunes account to be on a brand new retail phone. Its not like they were testing the camera or anything. That is BS dude and you shouldn't take that. The only reason I can see any phone having a pre-existing iTunes account loaded on it is if its a refurb and they didn't wipe it clean, but that shouldn't be the case with you.
:cool:That's what I was thinking! Those guys are as bad as auto dealerships. One almost has to go in the store with a lawyer and a video camera at all time!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I remember reading on another forum that someone had this issue.

It was because the store activated the account with their iTunes account instead of yours. Just sync it up with your computer and it will be fine.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It happened on my new iPhone too because the guy at the Apple store activated it with his iTunes account.

When I got it home, I sync'd it with mine. No biggie. And I know mine was new as I bought it on launch day.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
A buddy of mine also had the same issue, took it back to ATT, and the clerk apologized, as he said he set it up under his account.

You would figure that since ATT is synching in the store, they would have a "dummy" account set that they could activate the phone with? I know if I worked for ATT and had to set up new phones with my iTunes info. I would not feel completely comfortable doing so.

I also thought that once the phone was activated, you were free to go home and sync with your own computer? That's what I did when I got mine at the Apple store.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
They don't sync at the store (at least not at mine). They just need to have it connected to iTunes to activate the phone.

The clerk had me use my iTunes account. Just make sure you don't hit save password and you should be fine.