Brand New MBP Crashing?

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
i'll start by saying that i still have no regrets - i'm sure its user error so far lol...

but since i pulled it out of the box, i've added:
Transmission, Handbrake, and about 20gb of music (torrented)

is that enough to warrant me getting the proveribal "hourglass" when im opening and closing other apps?

another weird happening - my friend gave me his 8gb thumbdrive with a program i needed on it, only one program, but it was an .iso
in my attempt to copy/paste via drag and drop, no status window popped up. so i first tried to eject the drive, replace and use two finger copy/paste except that it would now allow an eject since the drive was 'in use'
force quit.... nothing
eject....nothing

i finally had to resort to holding the power button down till it shut off. I had to do this about 4 times before i gave up on the file/installation.

yet another happening - this morning: there was a cd in the drive that i pulled a home movie off of using handbrake. i left the MBP on all night to finish downloads (which didn't finish, so it was on all night).

before leaving the house, i paused all the dl's, closed all other apps and shut the lid to let it sleep. knowing that the process takes a moment, i put it in my laptop bag, fan side up to allow some last minute exhaust.

all of a sudden i hear the cd drive ejecting (or making some ridiculous clicking noises). I removed the MBP from the case and opened the lid. the screen was black and the while power led was on (solid). after about 5 mintues, i had to run, and couldnt leave it the way it was - result - hold power button to crash-down.

and a final note - is it me, or is the slot load drive surprisingly noisy when loading/ejecting... there's a lotta click/pop noises it produces (something im not used to with a tray load cd drive)

Thanks for letting me rant! feel free to provide input...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Did you try a restore? Plug it in and do a restore in iTunes. ;)

If it fails, return it and get one of these. A real computer.

i'll start by saying that i still have no regrets - i'm sure its user error so far lol...

but since i pulled it out of the box, i've added:
Transmission, Handbrake, and about 20gb of music (torrented)

is that enough to warrant me getting the proveribal "hourglass" when im opening and closing other apps?

another weird happening - my friend gave me his 8gb thumbdrive with a program i needed on it, only one program, but it was an .iso
in my attempt to copy/paste via drag and drop, no status window popped up. so i first tried to eject the drive, replace and use two finger copy/paste except that it would now allow an eject since the drive was 'in use'
force quit.... nothing
eject....nothing

i finally had to resort to holding the power button down till it shut off. I had to do this about 4 times before i gave up on the file/installation.

yet another happening - this morning: there was a cd in the drive that i pulled a home movie off of using handbrake. i left the MBP on all night to finish downloads (which didn't finish, so it was on all night).

before leaving the house, i paused all the dl's, closed all other apps and shut the lid to let it sleep. knowing that the process takes a moment, i put it in my laptop bag, fan side up to allow some last minute exhaust.

all of a sudden i hear the cd drive ejecting (or making some ridiculous clicking noises). I removed the MBP from the case and opened the lid. the screen was black and the while power led was on (solid). after about 5 mintues, i had to run, and couldnt leave it the way it was - result - hold power button to crash-down.

and a final note - is it me, or is the slot load drive surprisingly noisy when loading/ejecting... there's a lotta click/pop noises it produces (something im not used to with a tray load cd drive)

Thanks for letting me rant! feel free to provide input...

iHero

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
codyjk.com
Sounds like you got a broken disc drive, call Apple about it. My Mac mini makes a loud wrrrrrrr and grinding noise whenever I attempt to burn or rip a disc.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
nah, a couple pops are normal for slot-loaded superdrives... at least in the MBPs.

i don't see any reason why you would have problems mounting or copy/pasting an iso... if you continue to have problems, you could try mounting the iso straight from your friend's flash drive.

anyway, what "hourglass" are you talking about? If something is freezing, you usually get a spinning beachball-looking thing... or if things are REALLY bad a kernel panic, which will prompt you to power off your computer. I've actually run into this problem continually using handbrake (especially if i am multitasking while ripping a DVD).

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
thanks for all your inputs guys!

yeah, i figure compressed all that mechanical work into such a tight space, the superdrive will probably make a few snap,crackle,pops as a cd gets 'mounted'

as for the iso, i haven't tried again, but plan to do so today... we'll see... the 'hourglass' was the beachball spinner thing... never thought i'd ever see it lol...

so far so good i guess... thanks again!

nah, a couple pops

are normal for slot-loaded superdrives... at least in the MBPs.

i don't see any reason why you would have problems mounting or copy/pasting an iso... if you continue to have problems, you could try mounting the iso straight from your friend's flash drive.

anyway, what "hourglass" are you talking about? If something is freezing, you usually get a spinning beachball-looking thing... or if things are REALLY bad a kernel panic, which will prompt you to power off your computer. I've actually run into this problem continually using handbrake (especially if i am multitasking while ripping a DVD).